What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Join the Parramatta Football Club!!!!

Eels Dude

Coach
This Wanderers side will never be a threat to the Eels and the running of our club. I can somewhat see your reasoning Tony, but soccer just doesn't have the presence at pro level here to be worrying about that.

Tony Bongo

Bench
I'm sure the Wanderers would love to have the resources of the leagues club behind them. They would be mad not to try and get a few guys on the board.

Yeah let's hope they don't have a five year plan that they actually stick to.

probably too ahead of his time you're right but to suggest that we're in danger of being overun by a soccer club is as premature as suggesting that Pat O'Hanlon could be a great coach one day...

I don't care if I come across as alarmist or like Fitzy I'm too ahead of my time. I expect leadership to be shown and the future security of our club shored up and any potential threat to be nipped in the bud now.
The safest way to do that IMO is to have a plan within the next three years to ensure that all matters and finances related to our Football team are controlled by a board voted for by our members and season ticket holders. If this happens we will have a lot less to worry about in the future.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I don't care if I come across as alarmist or like Fitzy I'm too ahead of my time. I expect leadership to be shown and the future security of our club shored up and any potential threat to be nipped in the bud now.
The safest way to do that IMO is to have a plan within the next three years to ensure that all matters and finances related to our Football team are controlled by a board voted for by our members and season ticket holders. If this happens we will have a lot less to worry about in the future.

oh I don't know mate, I reckon those wanderers fans will be meeting at a secret underground bunker on the bank of the Parramatta river as we speak..

Tony Bongo

Bench
This Wanderers side will never be a threat to the Eels and the running of our club. I can somewhat see your reasoning Tony, but soccer just doesn't have the presence at pro level here to be worrying about that.

This is the same attitude of those who openend the gates and wheeled the Greek's horse into Troy. We will undoubtedly benefit in the short term by having the Wanderers play at Parra Stadium but no one can predict anything conclusively beyond that. What happens if they are successful?

Eels Dude

Coach
This is the same attitude of those who openend the gates and wheeled the Greek's horse into Troy. We will undoubtedly benefit in the short term by having the Wanderers play at Parra Stadium but no one can predict anything conclusively beyond that. What happens if they are successful?

Well that's a big 'what if' really isn't it? And even if they do get to be a small success that's not going to challenge the club. When the A League was set up, what 6 years ago now, some people were afraid it was going to threaten league and AFL but it hasn't. If the A League does pick up on the future, which I doubt, then start worrying about the Wanderers as a threat to the Eels.

I do agree the leagues club board need to be separated from the footy club side of things however, so if this is a valid reason to get them onto that I'll support you there.

Tony Bongo

Bench
well that's a big 'what if' really isn't it? And even if they do get to be a small success that's not going to challenge the club. When the a league was set up, what 6 years ago now, some people were afraid it was going to threaten league and afl but it hasn't. If the a league does pick up on the future, which i doubt, then start worrying about the wanderers as a threat to the eels.

i do agree the leagues club board need to be separated from the footy club side of things however, so if this is a valid reason to get them onto that i'll support you there.

;-)

i thought soccer was played in summer during league's off season? i fail to see how another code can be a threat to rugby league if they aren't playing at the same time if that were the case league's biggest threat would be cricket not soccer

spiderdan

Bench
if the del pierro experiment works out (ie. big increase in revenue through merchandise, game tickets, tv ratings and sponsorship) then i can see fa investing in bringing in more players, even if they are in the twilight of their careers so that each club has at least one draw card/marquee player. if that's the case then you'll see the crowds get even bigger as the comp expands and attracts other decent players, which will lead to an improved comp and the a-league receiving better tv and sponsor money.

i don't think though it will ever threaten afl and nrl, which is one of the smart reasons fa moved their comp to the nrl/afl offseason. they saw how hard it was to compete so rather than compete, provided sports viewers with an alternative in the offseason for our bigger codes.

strider

Post Whore
i don't think they've had a real problem with money for a while ... don't they get a bucketload just for qualifying for the world cup? ... and there seems to be some big money people keen to be involved

spiderdan

Bench
i don't think they've had a real problem with money for a while ... don't they get a bucketload just for qualifying for the world cup? ... and there seems to be some big money people keen to be involved
the domestic soccer league has gone bust and/or had to be revamped a few times over the last 20 years. don't know where fa would get that bucket load of money just for qualifying. i think they were banking on getting the wc here in 2018/22 to raise the profile and make money then.

seems when it gets closer to the end of qualifying stages that everyone is a socceroos fan so they make more money through that.