What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Join the Red & Black Army

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeh as a national company I want my product to be shown to only 1/2 of the population!

:lol:
Australia - 21mil
NSW - 7 mil (33%) incl Sydney - 4.3 mil (20%)
VIC - 5 mil (24%) incl Melbourne - 3.8 mil (18%)
QLD - 4 mil (19%) incl Brisbane - 1.8 mil (9%)
ACT - 400k (2%)

So states with NRL sides = 80% of Australia.
Cities/Towns still comes to about 57%. Perth would bring that to about 65%. Even with Adelaide (1.2 mil people of who gives a f**k about RL imo), the maximum population coverage we could expect by city is 70% or so. The rest of the population is spread across large areas, with none dense enough to be worth putting an NRL side.

I agree with you that Perth should have one of the next 2 NRL sides, it would give us (looking at States, which is admittedly simplistic) 90% population coverage of Australia. But talking sh*t doesn't help your cause, just annoys people.

Loudstrat

Coach
Would need an organising body that can actually negotiate a TV deal that's best for the game as well, but a comp with a national presence and number one code status has got a hell of alot better chance of getting full national FTA coverage.

The trouble is, you confuse the word 'national' with the word 'capitals'. So many entities - namely AFL and the TV ratings people, think that there is only one place in each state.

Example: Here in the North Coast we get ads for 2 football teams.

One is the Gold Coast Titans. While odd (Newcastle is 180kms south, Robina is 600kms north) the ads blast out the Jetstar Titans, with where to get tickets, who they are playing etc. There is no attempt to connect the viewer with some sort of parochial need to go, other than 'Come and see the Jestar Titans take on Penrith this Friday Night" type of stuff.

The other is the Channel 10 ads for the Swans. The slogan "Come on Sydney, get behind your team". Taree is NOT part of Sydney!!!!

AFL, like a lot of people on the forum, don't understand that Sydney ends at Berowra, Emu Plains, Engadine and Campbelltrown. And 2 million NS Weshmen live outside that area.

Like when the AFL had a team on the Gold Coast, and called it Brisbane.

National doesn't just mean the Capitals. In Queensland, most people live outside the capital.

That's why League is so bloody strong. It understands that people live in lots of places that are not a state capital. It's the saving grace for the sports loving residents of Newcastle, Wollongong, Gold Coast, FNQ and Central Coast.

Some claim we need to match the AFL for League to suceed. What simple minded bollocks! If we were to follow AFL, we do need to have sides in Perth and Adelaide. Personally, I'd love to see the Rams and Reds back.

But to be national - as AFL is national, we also need to punt Canberra, Newcastle, Gold Coast, and NQ. Lets not forget the ACT either.

Realise that we are more than national, we are INTERNATIONAL. Auckland is a big city too. Should we also punt the Warriors?

League is leading the way in terms of spreading it's product to the people. To go 'national', league would have to shrink.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I consider being national having at least on eteam in every major population centre of the country. We are not far away, I just want to see us have a strategic plan to get us into the ones we currently have no team/coverage/presence in. It shouldn't be too hard with a decent vision and plan.

adamkungl

Immortal
I consider being national having at least on eteam in every major population centre of the country. We are not far away, I just want to see us have a strategic plan to get us into the ones we currently have no team/coverage/presence in. It shouldn't be too hard with a decent vision and plan.

Even Adelaide?....seriously, do they really care? And do they have the size to justify a 'build it and they will come' attitude?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Even Adelaide?....seriously, do they really care? And do they have the size to justify a 'build it and they will come' attitude?

Judging by how the Adelaide Rams started out I'd say that there is definitely a market there.

People need to consider that introducing RL to Melbourne was the hardest sell in Aussie sporting history. The home of a direct rival code, ~9 AFL teams plus a very hostile market. Even so the Storm are doing pretty well and things will likely keep improving when they get that new stadium built.

Compared to that Adelaide and Perth with will be a cakewalk.

adamkungl

Immortal
Judging by how the Adelaide Rams started out I'd say that there is definitely a market there.

People need to consider that introducing RL to Melbourne was the hardest sell in Aussie sporting history. The home of a direct rival code, ~9 AFL teams plus a very hostile market. Even so the Storm are doing pretty well and things will likely keep improving when they get that new stadium built.

Compared to that Adelaide and Perth with will be a cakewalk.

Melbourne had the advantage of a much larger population, but fair enough. Id love to eventually see a 20 team comp again...

Perth Red

Post Whore
You can introduce any code into any city if you have the right strategy, enough money and right people running the show. For sure some are harder nuts to crack than others, but often they are the ones that will eventually pay huge dividends for the sport.

If Q'land had a city of 1.2 million people without an NRL team I am sure we would be screaming from the roofs to get them in. Adelaide and Perth both offer access to the largest population centres currently without an NRL team. Adding them will eventually be massive for TV and sponsorship deals.

Think of it this way, if I'm a major national company looking at whether to continue and increase my RL sponsorship, does the prospect of a CC admission with its already FTA RL coverage and existing viewing audience excite me or does the prospect of my company being shown in front of a whole new audience of potentially 1.8million excite me?

MsStorm

Bench
You can introduce any code into any city if you have the right strategy, enough money and right people running the show. For sure some are harder nuts to crack than others, but often they are the ones that will eventually pay huge dividends for the sport.

If Q'land had a city of 1.2 million people without an NRL team I am sure we would be screaming from the roofs to get them in. Adelaide and Perth both offer access to the largest population centres currently without an NRL team. Adding them will eventually be massive for TV and sponsorship deals.

Think of it this way, if I'm a major national company looking at whether to continue and increase my RL sponsorship, does the prospect of a CC admission with its already FTA RL coverage and existing viewing audience excite me or does the prospect of my company being shown in front of a whole new audience of potentially 1.8million excite me?

I know if I was in charge of a major national company, I would be more interested in showing off my company to a new tv audience of nearly 2m. people.

Loudstrat

Coach
I know if I was in charge of a major national company, I would be more interested in showing off my company to a new tv audience of nearly 2m. people.

Then your best bet would be Moscow.

There is no way 2 million people from SA and WA would watch a game of League.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They don't need to, that's the point! How many people watch AFL in NSW and Q'land but I bet you my house that the AFL sells its corporate deals on the fact that their sport is shown across all major population centres in the country on FTA at a decent time. That is why their corporate deals are squillions more than the NRL's.

Realistically we could see an increased TV audience of 200K+ across WA and SA with a resurgent League presence in those states. Will the CC Bears add 200K new TV viewers?

This isn't anti Bears or CC, just some considerations about what investments will bring the best returns for RL into the future.

MsStorm

Bench
They don't need to, that's the point! How many people watch AFL in NSW and Q'land but I bet you my house that the AFL sells its corporate deals on the fact that their sport is shown across all major population centres in the country on FTA at a decent time. That is why their corporate deals are squillions more than the NRL's.

Realistically we could see an increased TV audience of 200K+ across WA and SA with a resurgent League presence in those states. Will the CC Bears add 200K new TV viewers?

This isn't anti Bears or CC, just some considerations about what investments will bring the best returns for RL into the future.

Perth Red you should have bolded your reply and maybe it might register in Loudstrat's brain:D

I actually think you are understating those figures of potential viewing audiences from WA and SA, because Ch. 9 would surely have to show their games earlier into those states and of course, other non league states as well....(well ... fingers crossed anyway) :p

Loudstrat

Coach

200k? For the GF, maybe.

Remember the last time you lot were in? Adelaide used to rate a zero on ABC in their home city. That's a great return. Like the old investment into a team in Perth who lasted 5 weeks before shafting the game.

Roulette tables produce a more sound financial investment.

Perth Red you should have bolded your reply and maybe it might register in Loudstrat's brain:D

Only the truth registers, love. Perth will be a financial sinkhole AGAIN. One day, it might produce fruit. The same fruit is ready to be harvested at the Central Coast. That's why Melboring's feeders play in Gosford, and not Perth.

Any reason why the Storm don't use Perth as a feeder? Burn the answer to that into your brain.....FFS.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We already get 200k for GF's with zero RL presence! I did underestimate on purpose and more realistically we could see a 10-20% population viewing figure with RL back in the big time in those cities. According to Loustrat getting 10% of 200k in Gosford is better than 10% of 2 million in WA!

MS storm, Loudstrat is a small time thinker and therefore feels most comfortable with the thought of small time teams. He would rather see 12,000 turn up for games at Gosford with zero TV or sponsorship growth just so long as some failed Sydney club gets back into a league that is passing many small time clubs by faster and faster.

Anyone with any vision can see the future of RL sits outside of its 100 year old fences.

mave

Coach
Any one with any vision can see that the future of the NRL relies on both national expansion (Perth, etc) and shoring up of the heartlands (Central Coast).

Personally, I think that the NRL will end up with 12 -14 nationally based teams along with a very strong NSWRL comp in about 5-10 years time.Some Sydney teams will drop off into the NSW comp as they can no longer remain financially viable. If any clubs die, it has to be natural.

Don't forget that Perth had a team previously mate, and intentionally bit the hand that fed them.

bluey

Bench
Personally i would like to see teams in Perth ,Adelaide,New Guinea, Fiji islands.
That is the long haul, the trouble now what to do with all the Sydney teams????

Loudstrat

Coach
We already get 200k for GF's with zero RL presence! I did underestimate on purpose and more realistically we could see a 10-20% population viewing figure with RL back in the big time in those cities. According to Loustrat getting 10% of 200k in Gosford is better than 10% of 2 million in WA!

How long would that take? I'll say it again - Rams home games rated a Zero in Adelaide. And the WA audience can watch league now on pay TV live. What are their ratings?

But yes, we must kill any club on the East to we can revisit the 8000 crowds in Perth. Grow the game - have less fans. Do you own a business???

MS storm, Loudstrat is a small time thinker and therefore feels most comfortable with the thought of small time teams. He would rather see 12,000 turn up for games at Gosford with zero TV or sponsorship growth just so long as some failed Sydney club gets back into a league that is passing many small time clubs by faster and faster.

Anyone with any vision can see the future of RL sits outside of its 100 year old fences.

Norths were far more benefitial to the code than Perth ever was. Higher average crowds. Higher TV ratings. Higher on-field performances.

Any one with any vision can see that the future of the NRL relies on both national expansion (Perth, etc) and shoring up of the heartlands (Central Coast).

Personally, I think that the NRL will end up with 12 -14 nationally based teams along with a very strong NSWRL comp in about 5-10 years time.Some Sydney teams will drop off into the NSW comp as they can no longer remain financially viable. If any clubs die, it has to be natural.

Don't forget that Perth had a team previously mate, and intentionally bit the hand that fed them.

He intentionally ignores that. Doesn't gel with his dimwit arguments about killing the game in Sydney so he can have his 8000 string Reds home crowd back!

Muffdaddy

Juniors
I do think the sig is a bit rich by saying 'Restore the integrity and glory to the greatest game of all'.
Bringing back the Bears is not going to do that.
Seriously, get your hand off it.
Bring back Newtown, Wests, Balmain, maybe even Saint George.
The Sydney Roosters should change their name back to Eastern Suburbs.
Then we can bring back Glebe.
Even that wont bring back any sort of integrity or glory.

Happy New Year to everyone, by the way.

bluey

Bench
League has moved away from Sydney 20 years ago,so it is time to take the next step or it will become a second tier game to soccer .,afl, union.
Any league supporter has to acknowledge that the Sydney teams cannot match the qld based teams for turn over or profit.
I am a shark supporter and want to see them stand alone and so does every other supporter( and there in is the problem) but in the long term there are just to many teams in Sydney.
The hard part will be bringing teams together to feed one team.
Just for argument's sake say Sydney was divided into north,south east and west,the clubs in those areas could drop back to a state comp and feed their respective areas, and there would be no need for joint ventures.Juniors would come through local league, some would play in the state comp and some would play in the under 20s comp.
I guess some thing like union has done with the super 14s.
Before i get shot down it is just a thought, all ideas come from little thoughts.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Don't you people realise while other codes are desperately trying to get hold of Sydney we are happy to walk away and just have 4 or whatever teams. Sydney is the golden egg, without it we are stuffed.

Loudstrat

Coach
Don't you people realise while other codes are desperately trying to get hold of Sydney we are happy to walk away and just have 4 or whatever teams. Sydney is the golden egg, without it we are stuffed.

No. No f*cking idea!

Nor that a Sydney team just posted a record GF win.