What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jonhs goes to Roosters

keeney

First Grade
Johns-All-Day said:
keeney said:
its fordham being a good manager
I beg to differ. I think it's Fordham being a goose. As if the Roosters want Joey! I can't decide if that is laughable or just plain ridiculous.

the jobe of a mang=ager is to get the best deal for his clent, call him a goose all you want but hes created a lot of publicity, speculation adn hype, by presenting everyone wiht those options he uses them to drive the final amount for his client higher, thus he is a good manager, validity means nothing

~bedsy~

First Grade
I think it's all made up... The Knights would be stupid to offer him more money as we still need to sign our other players.
Also I'm sure the likes of Cheif and Matty will be pretty dissapointed in him.
His pretty much brought this on himself by saying that his going to make the decision on his own and not for the club.

mat_parsons

Juniors
Joey is now classified as injury prone & only has a few years left in the game.

So I can't see the Roosters giving him any sort of money that he is on now.

Correct. It's even question wheter to sign him for Knights or not. What if he gets injured again :shock: :roll:

I question this guy's sense of loyalty.

He hasn't got any. Whole carier spent with Knights, 3 seasons stuffed, because of him and know he has enough courage to bargain for couple bucks more in middle of the season. I m disscused. :(

WooKiie

Juniors
i agree with i_love_matt_gidley i'd rather see him play in england, then playing for any other team besides the knights, in the NRL... especially the roosters.... awwww the ROOSTERS.! :x :evil: :x i wouldn't be able to hack it seeing him playing for them......

i think mat_parsons meant disgusted.???

WooKiie

Juniors
i agree with i_love_matt_gidley i'd rather see him play in england, then playing for any other team besides the knights, in the NRL... especially the roosters.... awwww the ROOSTERS.! :x :evil: :x i wouldn't be able to hack it seeing him playing for them......

i think mat_parsons meant disgusted.???

Doctor

Bench
Fordham is just showing how great a manager he is. It's part of the job-description - that is to stir up speculation about the client's future thereby increasing offers.

There are three options (as many have said):
- Stay with Newcastle (20%)
- Go to English League (60%)
- Go to Rugby Union (20%)

It is unlikely he will go to another club - very unlikely. His loyalty is questionable, especially after three years of injury, but he isn't that disloyal. The Roosters would need to stretch their salary cap a bit more to fit everyone in though. It would be a little cosy in there - I don't understand how they do it..... blank cheques perhaps?

It is clear Johns will make this his final contract - I suspect a 2 year deal with whoever he signs with. But there are positives on both fronts: if he stays then we get a player keen to finish his career in style. But if he leaves then we gain about half a million dollars extra in our salary cap which can be spent on keeping the existing stocks in the lower grades.

I wonder whether Johns is in line for a salary-cap exemption or reduction. He must have spent 10 years with Newcastle by now, if not then surely by the time his next contract finishes. Perhaps the Knights will be able to offer more if they get some sort of exemption on the cap for a long-serving player.

keeney

First Grade
yeh he does, i was juts poking fun, johns wont go to another nrl club, its either england,knights or retirement imo

~bedsy~

First Grade
His been here for over 10 yrs now.
I read the article this morning and it said that he is looking at moving to Sydney as his girlfreind lives there as does Matty and his family.
I don't know what to believe, we will soon find out in a couple of months anyway.

keeney

First Grade
matty showed much more loyalty to a club taht ditched him, he went to england for 2 years because he cudnt bear playing against newcastle, if johns can just accept a cheque and play againstus without any problems, f**k him, honestly, after 10 years, its kinda low

les norton

First Grade
Im a bit over all these Johns bashing threads...geeze people. I dont have a problem with him looking at his career options. It's his life and i'm sorry as much as i love my footy i would consider my career more important...why shouldnt he?

astrogirl

First Grade
Couldn't have said it better myself les.

Joey has things to worry about that go beyond allegiance to the Knights and Knights fans - he has his family, his health, career and long term financial security to think about.

Like les said, things that you and I should be able to understand because we have similar considerations ourselves.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Without the Knights, Andrew Johns would be a coal miner in Cessnock.

A bit of loyalty to the club is not alot to ask for, nay, expect.

Added:

I'd understand him going grubbing for money if he was strapped for cash (I'd say Timana has the right to look elsewhere), but no matter what he does, he's still gonna command $300k+ in Newcastle, yeah, that's a 200k paycut, but it's still more then enough to be comfortable in life.

I question why this guy's #1 loyalty is money, where's the gratitude to the team that made him what he is?

Kid

Juniors
Whats the prob of Joey leaving Newie? His contract is up for renewal and he has stayed with the Knights for less in the past. His g/f lives and works in Sydney. Seeing Joey in another clubs colours would be weird, but no more weird then seeing Clyde and Stuart himself turn out for the Bulldogs a few years back. Get with the times people, Rugby League is a business, not the suburb warefare it was years ago. Personally despite Joeys' injuries i think he has a good 3 or 4 years left and anyone that is writing him off is foolish.

astrogirl

First Grade
bluesbreaker said:
I question why this guy's #1 loyalty is money, where's the gratitude to the team that made him what he is?
I'm not sure we should be making statements to the effect that Joey's main motivaiton is money.

There are the things that les and I have mentioned. And also what about the fact that Joey may be feeling a little stale in Newcastle? That's another reason people change jobs - for a change of scenery, new and different challenges and also to get out of a comfort zone.

princess plj

Juniors
its funny how some ppl say without newcastle - joey would not be who he is and then again it is said without joey what is newcastle? imo the guy has a right to make his own decison- i would love to see him play the end of his career out at the knights. but maybe after 10 yrs or so years he has realised there is more to life than rugby league and he may have other priorities now that he feels are more important.....or maybe he wants a change, i dunno. its up to him either way there willbe those who will disagree with what he does and those that agree...its a no win situation

Latest posts