What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Dugan Told To Shop Himself Around - Not happy with the Dragons.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
i'm not sure why you would mention this information... As you said everyone knows he wants big $$$$ but you have done nothing but cause trouble by quoting "heresay" for an up and coming kid.

P.S. Everything I have heard about the Dufty has been positive especially from people I know at Penshurst RSL jrlfc from what I've been told he is pretty quiet and doesn't say much at all!

Spot on saintm
I have met him as well.
He was very respectful and quite and seams to be a good kid.
I was at a fund raising event for kids.
He was there as well as nighty.
Both were a credit to the dragons.

possm

Coach
If Dugan wants to accept the Dragon's offer then there is no need to chase Tedesco however, if Dugan declines it is time to table a 1m p/a deal for Tedesco.

Ace-STi

Juniors
Like i said Next time I hear something with my own 2 ears I won't even bother posting simple as that... I am not even bother to argue with you or mention another convo I have had previously because it's clear no one wants to hear it anyway

mickeylane

Bench
If Dugan wants to accept the Dragon's offer then there is no need to chase Tedesco however, if Dugan declines it is time to table a 1m p/a deal for Tedesco.
Dragons will make a play for Jack Bird.. Tedesco seems destined to sign w Tigers only way u get him is u offer him $5m over 4 years basically give Dugans and Widdops wages to him

possm

Coach
The Tigers have a large number of their squad up for grabs at the end of 2017. They have just secured Woods and now amongst others they still have to secure their halves and fullback. Won't be enough cash to keep them all.

MilanDragon

Juniors
I think this is a really interesting reaction in relation to Ace-STI's comments. He's being crucified for sharing a comment an individual made in a public space.

Now of course no one wants those comments from the mouth of Dufty out in the open media, however if Dufty said it at a gathering then he has only himself to blame if said comments were to hit the media.

On the other hand if Ace had made the comments up then he deserves an uppercut. If Dufty told Ace that in personal confidence as they know each other Ace also deserves an uppercut.

It's not as if Ace is a journalist that has a 'source' and has named that source. From his version of events he along with others heard those comments in a public space and has shared them with us. That's no betrayal of confidence to Dufty, nor in my opinion is it that bad a thing to do. Even if somehow the journos were reading our posts and were to repeat what Ace said without any credibility they would be up for defamation.

Use the BBQ theory, if it's something you would/could share with your friends at a barbecue then there's nothing wrong with sharing it here. If it's something someone has told you in confidence and you wouldn't share it with others then don't share it here.

Old Timer

Coach
Milan
It is an unwritten rule that in such circumstances all things said are off the record
I have been to many functions where sports and business people actually say that but in this case Dufty is young and not worldly enough yet to protect himself.
Common sense would tell even an average thinking person that no good can come of anything such as this.
To compound it Ace unfortunately said "don't quote me" not a good look either.
A salient lesson in it for many people IMHO.

mickeylane

Bench
I truly believe that Dugan will eventually accept the 4 year $3M on offer from the Dragons....

I also believe that he will play FB until Dufty is ready......Phil Rothfield this morning wrote that its a massive problem for the Dragons if Mc Gregor has a cracker year as the Dragons have already agreed to appoint Hasler at the end of the year...

TomRedVRiver

Bench
In relation to sources at the club, I feel like now might be a good time to say it with this discussion going on seeing as this source isn't valid anymore.

Ben Haran, the current Executive Manager of Football, used to be a casual teacher for the Department of Education. He worked with my dad at his school (dad was a principal) as a casual PE teacher a few years back when he was just starting out at the Dragons coming up from Melbourne.
My dad used to ask Ben every now and again about how things were going at the Dragons and Ben used to clue him in about movements happening within the club.
- He told him about when we had a serious dig for Keary the first time around
- How their recruitment was stifled by Kyle Stanley because they has such high hopes for him and decided to hold off on recruitment
- How toxic Jamie Soward was around the camp and the plans in place to move him on
- Once Bennett left when they made the massive play for Cronk and Bellamy.
It was great to have all of this inside info coming in before it reached the media but it was hard to keep it under wraps. Of course this was a couple of years before I joined this forum so I wasn't able to share any info.

Ben of course has moved up in the world now and doesn't teach anymore due to his role at the club so sadly we don't have any contact with him these days, but it was nice for a little while at least.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Milan
It is an unwritten rule that in such circumstances all things said are off the record
I have been to many functions where sports and business people actually say that but in this case Dufty is young and not worldly enough yet to protect himself.
Common sense would tell even an average thinking person that no good can come of anything such as this.
To compound it Ace unfortunately said "don't quote me" not a good look either.
A salient lesson in it for many people IMHO.

Thanks for explaining the protocols OT. Can't say I've been to those functions (especially with media).

Now I also agree saying "don't quote me" is just silly.

However had Ace said ' I heard from a friend that knows someone etc' would it be any different?

Dufty needs to take responsibility, being so young he needs a mentor or someone from the club to quickly get in his hear, otherwise it won't go well and he will garner a reputation amongst the playing group too.

blacksafake

First Grade
I posted on here last year about my info of the bunnies chasing Tedesco & nothing has changed except they are prepared to go harder. I'll be surprised if he leaves the tigers but I'm sure the bunnies would be able to offer more tpa's than we could.

BennyV

Referee
I truly believe that Dugan will eventually accept the 4 year $3M on offer from the Dragons....

I also believe that he will play FB until Dufty is ready......Phil Rothfield this morning wrote that its a massive problem for the Dragons if Mc Gregor has a cracker year as the Dragons have already agreed to appoint Hasler at the end of the year...
Rothfield is a moron. It's not a problem at all, and Mary having a 'cracker year' (or starting to) should not impact the fact that he needs to go.

Take 2015 for example; we were flying high in the first half of the year off the back of decent motivation and good defence. Then we crashed and burned, not just at the back end of the season but for the next 18 months. When other teams figured out our patterns and adapted, Mary didn't have the tactical nouse to combat it. Then he brought in the toxic blame culture and mediocre 50% win target. A decent half a season should not give him another contract.

At best, if he takes us deep into the finals and maintains intensity all year then he MIGHT be worth 1 extra year, at most. However, the coaching situation for 2018 NEEDS to be finalised in the next few months, by Round 10(ish) at the latest, so we can finalise the roster. And 2015 alone shows that this is far too early to be rushing to re-sign Mary.

The guy has made his bed over the last few years with his actions as well as his coaching (in)ability. He should be gone, and bringing Hasler in would be a great achievement.

Dragsters

First Grade
Doc
Always a difficult area when it comes to passing info on.
IMO players names should never be attached to the statement unless it is already in the media and corvettedragon covered that point well in his post.
Then of course there is the inevitable "what's you source" comment of which I am also guilty of.
I think the bland "I was in conversation and a player / official said to me / the group " should be good enough for mot of us to accept as it is in the 1st person.
TBH I think most annoying is the " someone in the club, told a bloke close to the club who in turn told my sister, who then told me" bits of info are the ones that are most annoying because they do get challenged and meet push back by the poster when more information is requested.

I think this approach still has the potential to cause instability within the club.

I believe if you are a club member and are in the position to attend these member only functions that broadcasting this type of comment is not in the club's best interest and somewhat of a breach of confidence.

Anyhow I think this point has been made and received. It's just something I would not do.

Red V for life

Juniors

Lol...Rothfield.

I think most of us would fail to see a problem. A good year this year followed by what should be a better year next year.

Yep...massive problem right there :joy:

Como Connection

First Grade
Mate
Like i said Next time I hear something with my own 2 ears I won't even bother posting simple as that... I am not even bother to argue with you or mention another convo I have had previously because it's clear no one wants to hear it anyway
Mate, keep it going.
I also have copped plenty in the past when I passed on information in good faith.
FACT
CC

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Rothfield is a moron. It's not a problem at all, and Mary having a 'cracker year' (or starting to) should not impact the fact that he needs to go.

Take 2015 for example; we were flying high in the first half of the year off the back of decent motivation and good defence. Then we crashed and burned, not just at the back end of the season but for the next 18 months. When other teams figured out our patterns and adapted, Mary didn't have the tactical nouse to combat it. Then he brought in the toxic blame culture and mediocre 50% win target. A decent half a season should not give him another contract.

At best, if he takes us deep into the finals and maintains intensity all year then he MIGHT be worth 1 extra year, at most. However, the coaching situation for 2018 NEEDS to be finalised in the next few months, by Round 10(ish) at the latest, so we can finalise the roster. And 2015 alone shows that this is far too early to be rushing to re-sign Mary.

The guy has made his bed over the last few years with his actions as well as his coaching (in)ability. He should be gone, and bringing Hasler in would be a great achievement.

100% agree.

However, hasn't the Hasler 'rumour' already been discredited?