What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Dugan Told To Shop Himself Around - Not happy with the Dragons.

possm

Coach
I truly believe that Dugan will eventually accept the 4 year $3M on offer from the Dragons....

I also believe that he will play FB until Dufty is ready......Phil Rothfield this morning wrote that its a massive problem for the Dragons if Mc Gregor has a cracker year as the Dragons have already agreed to appoint Hasler at the end of the year...
Why is it a problem? I'd say it is great news because now we can have the best of both worlds:
Hasler to coach the Dragons in 2018 - YES!
Mary can win as many games as he is able too this season - good for his resume - maybe even a GF.

SBD82

Coach
I thought dugan's game for us was the best he's played. And for one reason: the game plan suited him.

If this is the way we are going to play this season he should be at fullback. No questions asked. We are finally playing to his strengths. He is not a link ball player. He is a hole runner. On Saturday he played off the hip of anyone who was likely to give him an inside or short ball.

This sort of game plan doesn't suit Mann or dufty, but it is perfect for duges. He had a great game. Hope to see more of it.

True_Believer

Juniors
I thought dugan's game for us was the best he's played. And for one reason: the game plan suited him.

If this is the way we are going to play this season he should be at fullback. No questions asked. We are finally playing to his strengths. He is not a link ball player. He is a hole runner. On Saturday he played off the hip of anyone who was likely to give him an inside or short ball.

This sort of game plan doesn't suit Mann or dufty, but it is perfect for duges. He had a great game. Hope to see more of it.

Correct. If this continues to work throughout the season and we continue this style of play, it may be worth looking at his contract a little closer and keeping him on as fullback.

st.phil

Bench
Game plan suits Duges as does contract status - call me cynical but the $'s on the line / proving value would be on his mind

emu62

Juniors
I truly believe that Dugan will eventually accept the 4 year $3M on offer from the Dragons....

I also believe that he will play FB until Dufty is ready......Phil Rothfield this morning wrote that its a massive problem for the Dragons if Mc Gregor has a cracker year as the Dragons have already agreed to appoint Hasler at the end of the year...

Judging on Dugans & Duftys displays on Saturday, it will be a long time before Dufty is ready to replace Dugan

giboz71

First Grade
Game plan suits Duges as does contract status - call me cynical but the $'s on the line / proving value would be on his mind

Was thinking that as well.

Duges was outstanding on Saturday but he's too hit and miss. In the Charity Shield he came up with that amazing behind the back pass for Nene's try, then on the next set, his pass was straight into touch.

Even on the weekend, he made an error dropping a pass on a set play and also throwing a bullet pass to Nighty which he couldn't catch. Nighty gave him daggers, and rightly so.

Ball playing is just not natural to him and he needs to be able to nail those plays if he wants to be considered $1m fullback.

RTS and Teddy nail those plays most times.

possm

Coach
Dugan really is a centre although I would feel sorry for the winger outside him. I think the Club has priced him correctly and now it's up to him. If the Club is looking at Tedesco, they won't wait much longer for his signature as the Tigers are moving quickly to finalise their roster for next year.

Saintsified

Bench
Dugan really is a centre although I would feel sorry for the winger outside him. I think the Club has priced him correctly and now it's up to him. If the Club is looking at Tedesco, they won't wait much longer for his signature as the Tigers are moving quickly to finalise their roster for next year.
So Mary is a genius then as it was he who reckons he should be a centre, was built to be a centre and made him a centre...then he got picked centre for rep foofy.

Just sayin.

Old Timer

Coach
Just give Dugan his head to do whatever he feels. Don't squeeze him into a box of instructions. It doesn't work.
Very astute observation and actually probably the best post about Dugan that been posted.
He was born to play with a roving commission and has been playing with a poor roster ever since he's been here.
Hopefully this year they will give him his head and the smart players will follow him.
Mc Innes has some real smarts and will be a big beneficiary off Dugan.

RPG437

Juniors
Dugan is the man for us at FB. Dufty looks small and was collared fairly easily in the reserves game. Promising yes but lots of hype on these threads which is over the top at the moment.
Forget Tedesco - he's already had some bad injuries and the way he runs and twists makes me cringe - another catastrophic knee injury could happen anytime. Obviously hope I'm wrong on that - young guy got it all in front of him. Just not with us.

giboz71

First Grade
Just give Dugan his head to do whatever he feels. Don't squeeze him into a box of instructions. It doesn't work.

Maybe so.

But teams where he's been the FB have never won anything of note. And this includes the Raiders, Dragons and NSW.

I like him at FB whilst we're playing a power game. But we're more likely to win a comp with a FB with more all round skills and someone like Duges at centre.

BennyV

Referee
Very astute observation and actually probably the best post about Dugan that been posted.
He was born to play with a roving commission and has been playing with a poor roster ever since he's been here.
Hopefully this year they will give him his head and the smart players will follow him.
Mc Innes has some real smarts and will be a big beneficiary off Dugan.
And vice versa.

A biting-topic, but IMO McInness holds the key for us this year and moving forward. Given that we play halves on either side of the field, a lot of direction needs to come from our 9 and we sure as hell werent going to get that from Rein. Cam has the leadership qualities to be a real linchpin for us, and if he gets injured I think we will really feel it. Was a fan of his signing before and even more so now.

If last weekend is any indication of what he brings to the team, he is captain material.

Carlton

Juniors
And vice versa.

A biting-topic, but IMO McInness holds the key for us this year and moving forward. Given that we play halves on either side of the field, a lot of direction needs to come from our 9 and we sure as hell werent going to get that from Rein. Cam has the leadership qualities to be a real linchpin for us, and if he gets injured I think we will really feel it. Was a fan of his signing before and even more so now.

If last weekend is any indication of what he brings to the team, he is captain material.

I was really impressed with McInness, he reminded me a lot of Cameron Smith. I am not trying to say he played as well as Smith or worse than Smith but the style of play was similar. The other thing which impressed me was his defence. Unlike Rein he stopped the attackers and did not allow them to push forward after contact.

I think he was the biggest reason for the teams improvement. His service and direction from dummy half was slick and decisive.

blacksafake

First Grade
I was really impressed with McInness, he reminded me a lot of Cameron Smith. I am not trying to say he played as well as Smith or worse than Smith but the style of play was similar. The other thing which impressed me was his defence. Unlike Rein he stopped the attackers and did not allow them to push forward after contact.

I think he was the biggest reason for the teams improvement. His service and direction from dummy half was slick and decisive.
Agree,
I do know that some people at souths had a very high opinion of him & also thought he was a future captain.He was always leading from the front on the training paddock & challenging others. I think he had a falling out with the coach & Burgess & from there on his days were numbered.Anyway it will be our win having him.

giboz71

First Grade
Agree,
I do know that some people at souths had a very high opinion of him & also thought he was a future captain.He was always leading from the front on the training paddock & challenging others. I think he had a falling out with the coach & Burgess & from there on his days were numbered.Anyway it will be our win having him.

Its funny that both Keary and McInnes had great games for their new clubs.

Souths will miss them for sure.

Glenn01

Juniors
Dugan is the man for us at FB. Dufty looks small and was collared fairly easily in the reserves game. Promising yes but lots of hype on these threads which is over the top at the moment.
Forget Tedesco - he's already had some bad injuries and the way he runs and twists makes me cringe - another catastrophic knee injury could happen anytime. Obviously hope I'm wrong on that - young guy got it all in front of him. Just not with us.

Extremely early to be writing him off as injury prone. I don't remember what his injuries have been about thus far but I remember when he busted his kneecap against Canberra, a season ending injury. It had nothing do with twisting and turning and everything to do with bad luck.

He won't come to the Dragons anyway. The Tigers will let go of Moses, Brooks and Woods in order to keep him. But as for Duges and his lack of ball-playing ability, remember ball playing is Moylan's forte. How did that turn out for him vis-a-vis Duges and his running game last week? Of course RTS or Tedesco who excel at running and ball playing are a class above. There is also one more fullback who is adept at running and ball playing and who may be off contract next season. Jaryd Hayne.

Latest posts