What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Dugan Told To Shop Himself Around - Not happy with the Dragons.

Frank Facer

First Grade
This is very good news. It is good because Saints are offering Dugan 100K less a season than he is currently on, with the salary cap going up. I doubt that any NRL club is going to offer Dugan the 1 mil a season that he is after. I doubt that any club is going to sign him as a fullback either.

If anyone thinks that other clubs may chase Dugan to play fullback, could you name any?

I would be happy if Saints could manage to sign Tedesco for 1 mil plus with a good 3rd party deal, but I doubt that it will happen. I would still be happy with a package deal of Teddy and Moses. We should build a team around a top 1, 6, 7 and 9.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
This is very good news. It is good because Saints are offering Dugan 100K less a season than he is currently on, with the salary cap going up. I doubt that any NRL club is going to offer Dugan the 1 mil a season that he is after. I doubt that any club is going to sign him as a fullback either.

If anyone thinks that other clubs may chase Dugan to play fullback, could you name any?

I would be happy if Saints could manage to sign Tedesco for 1 mil plus with a good 3rd party deal, but I doubt that it will happen. I would still be happy with a package deal of Teddy and Moses. We should build a team around a top 1, 6, 7 and 9.
We should build a team around a coach.

I don't want to overpay for Dugan either and shame if he does want significant overs. We do also need experience in this team to help the rookies and he is one of the few rep players in our team. We never lost rep players in the old days. I would have liked us to snap him up at same salary as prior which to me would be a win win for him and the club. The team needs balance.

dragondad

First Grade
Broncos paid an incredible amount at the time for Milford. It was lucky that James Roberts wanted to play for next to nothing just to be coached by Wayne...haha!!

Dragon Revival

Juniors
It is a concern that the only backs to show any good NRL form over the last four years have been Morris, Dugan,
Aitken and Mann. Morris has left, Dugan looks like leaving, Aitken has been re-signed but looks out of form and Mann will probably leave at the end of the year because he has been stuffed around.

Crush

Coach
If he wasn't injury prone I would be jumping up and down. But he is. Why pay more than 700k for 16 rounds? Thats over a mil a season if you do the math?

Mr Red

First Grade
Dragons logic...
1. Panic buy by paying way overs to try and attract decent players
2. Fast forward 12 months and dragons realise they have paid overs
3. Salary cap pressure due to paying overs for the player
4. Player told he can look around at other options...

I'm guessing you can insert Gareth Widdops name into this story in 6 months and Ben hunts in about 18 months ...

Mr Red

First Grade
If he wasn't injury prone I would be jumping up and down. But he is. Why pay more than 700k for 16 rounds? Thats over a mil a season if you do the math?
Yeah 1 mill a season ..that's money only reserved for the superstars of the game like Ben hunt .....lol lol lol

j0nesy

Bench
What's he being paid? 800k? With cap going up next year you'd think he'd be worth that.

It's become evident, by our recruitment and retention, that he'd be squeezed out. We have 6 possible centres in Aitken, Milne, Dodd, Mann, Lafai and Mac Donald and have a couple of young fullbacks in Dufty and Field, with Mann and even Widdop able to play fullback. Dugan is probably the best of all of them right now, but in 2 or 3 years time he won't be. I'd say both Dufty and Field will go past him by then and Aitken, Milne and Mann may well be on par with him as centres by then.

I'd consider offering him a short term deal (2 years) at 800k and play him as a centre. If he doesn't accept it then, no worries. I like where our recruitment and retention is headed. It appears we have a clear strategy focussed on retaining and developing our youth. IMO it's the only way we can hope to compete with the big clubs.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Yeah 1 mill a season ..that's money only reserved for the superstars of the game like Ben hunt .....lol lol lol
We needed a quality halfback. Ben Hunt is a quality halfback. The club did what they needed to to get him. Did they pay overs? Of course they did but they got their man. If they didn't get Hunt the fans would be criticising the club then when they do get Hunt guess what? The fans criticise the club.......
Damned if you do damned if you don't!

Crush

Coach
To attract good players at the right price we need to hire a new coach and announce him now.
Possm, I know that you think there is already a new coach in waiting for next year but I am not so sure. I don't think that this club is that organized.
I reckon that they are hoping Mary turns it around.
And I think Hunt signed because of the cash, not some secret coach coming 2018.
I think we have to realise there is no new coach coming. Its just mary.
Depressing isn't it?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Way to go team. Piss off one of our better performers by making a sub standard offer. A bloke who has been our best performing back since he joined. A bloke who probably saves 12 points a game. A bloke who had his best representative season ever in Australian colours.

I dunno. Sounds like club management believing too much in their own cleverness. They will end up stuffing things up even further.

Bang on mate ............... I was going to say precisely this.
What a great way to start the season.
Why can't they offer Mary a 100K less .......... plus a one way air ticket to France!

j0nesy

Bench
Possm, I know that you think there is already a new coach in waiting for next year but I am not so sure. I don't think that this club is that organized.
I reckon that they are hoping Mary turns it around.
And I think Hunt signed because of the cash, not some secret coach coming 2018.
I think we have to realise there is no new coach coming. Its just mary.
Depressing isn't it?

You're probably right Crush, but there's a glimmer of hope since Mark Coyne has been appointed. It seems that we now have a clear recruitment and retention strategy. And Mary has at least been put on notice. There's some hope that we will at least be looking for a coach come round 6.

Old Timer

Coach
Bye Dugan. Widdop if you dont step up then you can go aswell. We should make Jack Bird a offer he cant refuse, bring the kid home.
A bird in hand philosophy is far better than trying to catch the one that flew away.
Jack Bird will never come back plain and simple and letting our best players go in the hope of doing that is lunacy.
As I said get a real coach and then see what these players are worth.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Would be interesting to see wouldn't it if we could announce a new reputable coach NOW that would instill some credibility back into the team whether some of the players like Dugan would be happy to stay

Old Timer

Coach
Would be interesting to see wouldn't it if we could announce a new reputable coach NOW that would instill some credibility back into the team whether some of the players like Dugan would be happy to stay
We have contracted good players to be coached by the worst vandals this club has ever had.
When there is a likely hood of getting rid of the vandals others want to get rid of the players as well.
Thanks for coming, thanks for putting up with all the shit, thanks for giving it your all, thanks for putting your career on hold whilst we sort out the mess but now you can f**k off.
Yep that will greatly impress others that might come on the market.
We that philosophy we will become the home of over rated journeymen as loyal people will look elsewhere.