What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Dugan Told To Shop Himself Around - Not happy with the Dragons.

possm

Coach
I can't see the Club paying 1m for Dugan. Now that Hunt has a 1m p/a contract all top players will be chasing the same. I think Tedesco is worth 1m p/a and we should make the offer. If we can't get him, at least it will force his asking price up for other clubs.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
You'd say judging by his comments today it's unlikely he'll be at the club next year. I wonder if the club are already preparing for his departure by targeting another marquee player?

getsmarty

Immortal
Josh Dugan keen on rugby union switch if St George Illawarra Dragons future not sorted
Andrew Parkinson
16 Mar 2017, 4:30 p.m.
r0_176_4160_2515_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

No.1... for now: Dragons fullback Josh Dugan. Picture: Chris Lane

St George Illawarra fullback Josh Dugan has dropped a bombshell three days out from the Dragons’ local derby clash with Cronulla, declaring he would not rule out a switch to rugby union if his future with the club is not settled.

Dugan, who is off contract at the end of the season, wants to play fullback despite claims that some at the Dragons see him as a centre. The 26-year-old has played in the centres at representative level for NSW and Australia.

St George Illawarra also have options at fullback including electric local junior Matt Dufty and Kurt Mann.

Dugan, who played rugby union as a junior, said a switch to the 15-a-side game could be on the cards if things couldn’t be worked out – and has already spoken to clubs.

“I’m not going to rule anything out. [Rugby union is] obviously an option. I have spoken to certain clubs overseas but my first goal is to stay in the NRL,” he said.

r1065_369_3584_1700_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Picture: Chris Lane

“I actually grew up playing rugby before I played rugby league. I could have played for the Brumbies when I was younger but chose to play Harold Matts [under-16s] for the Raiders so I’ve got a little bit of background. It wouldn’t be that hard a switch for me I don’t think.

“I feel like I’m playing good footy. I’ve just come off the Four Nations tour where I thought I played pretty well in that side. That’s my goal this year, is to be there at the end of the year with the World Cup.

“I feel like I’m a fullback. I’ve said that all along. The rest of that stuff is up to my management and the club but I’m looking to play fullback.”

Dugan said he didn’t think the issue would be resolved “any time soon.”

St George Illawarra, who announced the re-signing of back-rower Jack de Belin on a three-year deal earlier this week, will look to bounce back from their thrashing at the hands of Parramatta last weekend when they take on the Sharks on Sunday.

The Dragons were big winners the last time the sides met at Kogarah but will be up against a hostile shire crowd at Southern Cross Group Stadium as well as the reigning premiers who returned to form against Canberra last weekend.

“Anyone whose involved in it through both clubs knows how passionate and how hard a game it is,” Dugan said.

“It’s always a fixture I look forward to and [I’m] definitely looking forward to Sunday.

“[Cronulla winning the premiership] doesn’t change too much from our end. They’ve got that premiership now and full credit to them on going all the way last year and they’ll still be riding a high from it.

“We know it’s going to be a tough game. We’ve got to be on the front foot.”

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4...-switch-if-dragons-future-not-sorted/?cs=3833

getsmarty

Immortal
Dugan focused on being long-term No.1

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

16 Mar 2017, 2:30 p.m.
r0_0_4260_2840_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Josh Dugan. Picture: Getty Images

ST GEORGE Illawarra star Josh Dugan has stated his desire to remain a long-term fullback at club level, putting him at odds with Dragons recruitment chief Ian Millward.

Dugan is off-contract this year with a reported asking price around a million dollars a season for his services beyond 2017. He has courted interest from rival NRL clubs and French rugby while his future remains uncertain.

Millward stated this week that the Dragons were willing to make Dugan one of the highest paid centres in the game with a reported offer worth $2.2 million over three years on the table.

But, with young-guns Matt Dufty and Jai Field waiting in the wings, the club sees Dugan’s future in the three-quarter-line rather than the spine.

Dugan has shifted seamlessly from fullback to centre at representative level for both NSW and Australia but said on Thursday that he feels his best position for the Dragons is in the No.1 jumper.

“I feel like I’m a fullback and I’ve said that all along,” Dugan said.

“The rest of that stuff is up to my management and the club but I feel like my best position is fullback at club level.

“I feel like I can handle both positions no matter what day or game it is. I think I’m a pretty smart footballer and it helps to have that utility value but I like being part of the spine at club level because I see myself as a leader here at the Dragons.

“[Playing] for Australia you’e got guys like Cam Smith and GI and Cooper Cronk who lead the team around and it makes it easier to be out on the edge. At club level it’s a bit different and I’m looking at playing fullback.”

Dugan has been working hard on his ball-playing ability under the tutelage of assistant coach Ben Hornby and refuted Millward’s suggestion that he is too big to play at the back.

“It’s changed a bit. Preston Campbell was too small and now we’ve got too big and they’re going back to the small [fullbacks],’ Dugan said.

“I’m down to 101 kilos, I was 104 last year so I’ve stripped right down and I’m the fittest I’ve ever been.

“I’ve been working all preseason with Benny Hornby about taking the right options and I think it’s shown in the last couple of weeks. I think I’m picking my options better and choosing when to run and when to pass.

“I feel like I’m running around pretty well and I’ve just been working on some little things and training really hard to be the best fullback I can for the club.”

Dugan admitted the standoff was unlikely to be resolved “any time soon” and confirmed he’s fielded interest from cashed up overseas rugby clubs, though remaining with the Dragons is his top priority.

“I won’t rule it out,[Rugby] is obviously an option and I’ve spoken to certain clubs overseas but but my first goal is to stay in the NRL,” Dugan said.

“I grew up playing rugby before I played rugby league. I could have played [junior] Brumbies when I was younger but chose to play Harold Matts with the Raiders.

“I’ve got a little bit of background and it wouldn’t be that hard a switch for me…

“It’s up to my management and the club to sort that stuff out and my focus is on playing good footy. For me it’s about focusing on week-in week-out putting my best foot forward for the club and hopefully everything will fall into place.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4534663/dugan-at-odds-with-recruitment-chief/?cs=3713

j0nesy

Bench
Well, who didn't see this coming? At any rate I must admit that Dugan has looked good this year. Still don't think he's worth, or that we can afford, 1 million per year. Dufty or Field are the long term options at fullback.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Look the one thing I'm confident in is there will be no Des Hasler, Jack Bird or Josh Dugan at our club in 2018. If for some reason Mary McJetski stays then you can add Gareth Widdop to the list as well.
I don't feel Duges warrants that huge price tag based on a few shortcomings, compliments of our clubs inept coaching.

possm

Coach
If we are going for a 'small' fullback we need big outside backs. Milne, and Macdonald on the right have size however we need similar on the left.

If Dugan accepts the Dragons offer - not likely - then Garrick on the left wing would be ok.

ALSGI

Bench
I've said all along he's a keeper and worth at least what he's on now, and should be Capt imo. Best back by far, inspirational and when he's on the field we always go better.
A better coach, better Centres, better Half and his game would also improve.
I'd pay overs for him, we'd get overs back in return.

mickeylane

Bench
looking at Hunt last night Dugan would have a field day trailing him...id pay Dugan $850K a season easily but as a fullback and move Field to 5/8 next year

Vinnie

Juniors
We all say Field is 5/8 transitional from fullback so I'd say keep Dugan,that sorts out fullback for the next 2 to 3 years at least and play Field at 5/8. Start trialing him now in the halves so its an easier to transition half to 5/8 next year. These days it's pretty the same anyway.
We are not going to nor do we want to keep McCrone so why persist ??
Play Field if he doesn't cut it we have Mann or Nona and remember maybe even Hutch next year either way there's options. And last but not least we keep Widdop if all else fails.

BrissyRedV

Bench
If the media is to be believed, the coin Dugan is asking for is salary cap crippling for a non creative player. He won't get the sort of money being spoken from any other club in the comp so IMO, the club should stick to their guns.

Our major issue will be if he walks is that the 2 young guys we have signed up are largely untested in the top grade. We could put Widdop back there but he is currently unsigned as well. For us to be a premiership threat next year, besides the obvious need for a coach, I think we need at least one experienced player to go with Hunt in our spine either at 6 or 1 to go with our younger players.

LINESPEED

Juniors
I've said all along he's a keeper and worth at least what he's on now, and should be Capt imo. Best back by far, inspirational and when he's on the field we always go better.
A better coach, better Centres, better Half and his game would also improve.
I'd pay overs for him, we'd get overs back in return.
Surely $850k for 3 yrs as a utility centre/fullback and the captaincy would be reasonable? These player managers are becoming a dangerous breed as they never factor in the loyalty/happiness /reality thingo - it's all $$$$ & commissions.
Don't become one of the Toulon misfits - your legacy as a loyal & proud clubman lives on way past your playing days

possm

Coach
If the media is to be believed, the coin Dugan is asking for is salary cap crippling for a non creative player. He won't get the sort of money being spoken from any other club in the comp so IMO, the club should stick to their guns.

Our major issue will be if he walks is that the 2 young guys we have signed up are largely untested in the top grade. We could put Widdop back there but he is currently unsigned as well. For us to be a premiership threat next year, besides the obvious need for a coach, I think we need at least one experienced player to go with Hunt in our spine either at 6 or 1 to go with our younger players.
For Dugan's proposed salary of about 850k p/a who could we recruit that is suitable to our needs? In my opinion only Bird fits that bill.

We will have a chance on Sunday to see Bird at fullback and we all have already seen him play centre and five-eighth.

Vinnie

Juniors
possm i don't believe Bird is going to leave sharks but either way i just don't rate him over Dugan as fullback so i'd rather pay a little more for Dugan. Sharks have totally bypassed him after Barbs and went straight to Holmes.Sorry but id prefer Dugan over Holmes as well.
I honestly believe that in time Field will be a better 5/8 and player that Bird so we need to keep him. I see bird as a centre who will end up in the back row in the future and we have plenty of them.
Never the less i believe newcastle have thrown Bird an offer that blows everyone else out of the water so i feel if anything that where he will go. Remember Newcastle paid massive dollars for Ponga a junior with enermous talent cause they dont have any but yet us with so many ( Field, Dufty, Masters,Garrick,Herbet just to name a few) and thats only backs not forwards) are prepared to lose them to sign outsiders for big dollars ?? Not great economics.

possm

Coach
possm i don't believe Bird is going to leave sharks but either way i just don't rate him over Dugan as fullback so i'd rather pay a little more for Dugan. Sharks have totally bypassed him after Barbs and went straight to Holmes.Sorry but id prefer Dugan over Holmes as well.
I honestly believe that in time Field will be a better 5/8 and player that Bird so we need to keep him. I see bird as a centre who will end up in the back row in the future and we have plenty of them.
Never the less i believe newcastle have thrown Bird an offer that blows everyone else out of the water so i feel if anything that where he will go. Remember Newcastle paid massive dollars for Ponga a junior with enermous talent cause they dont have any but yet us with so many ( Field, Dufty, Masters,Garrick,Herbet just to name a few) and thats only backs not forwards) are prepared to lose them to sign outsiders for big dollars ?? Not great economics.
I've always said that the Dragons go wrong when they do not replace players with experience equal to those who are let go. If Dugan moves on - and I believe he will- we need to replace him with a top level fullback. At this time, Dufty, Field, Masters and Mann are not top level fullbacks.

Vinnie

Juniors
I've always said that the Dragons go wrong when they do not replace players with experience equal to those who are let go. If Dugan moves on - and I believe he will- we need to replace him with a top level fullback. At this time, Dufty, Field, Masters and Mann are not top level fullbacks.

Keep Dugan he's still the best of the crop. Widdopp leaving and other players will help with the increase needed.

Dump McCrone and use this year to bring Field or Dufty or Mann forward to find the best one to partner Hunt. Widdop will go and theres a shitload more money available there to sign 2 of the three i have mentioned.

Remember we are bringing in Hunt next year and his experience and quality surpasses what we lose.

We also have Nightingale probably not going around again next year so lats start blooding there as well, possibly Herbert or Garrick or Dufty whoever

Latest posts