What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Dugan Told To Shop Himself Around - Not happy with the Dragons.

Red V for life

Juniors
Welcome to human resource management 101 - Dragons' style.

Today we'll be learning how to inspire, lead, motivate and get the most out of employees by offering them pay cuts and encouraging them to look elsewhere.

FMD. Our first game is a week away and I've already got my head in my hands.

:scream:

7Seven7

Juniors
How do threads about whether or not we should keep Dugan descend into the mythical signings of Jackson Bird (f### I'm sick of hearing about that bloke) or Tedesco?

It's insulting to be offering one of our two Origin playes LESS than what he's currently on. Where's the justification for that? "You've gained NSW and Australian selection while wearing the red V, cleaned your act up and shown some leadership amongst the team, so here's less money for your troubles." Ridiculous.

Great post Walpole

possm

Coach
At the beginning of 2016 Dugan wanted to play at right centre and was selected there. He would have stayed there if the Dragons has a suitable fullback available however, he had to return to the fullback position.

These days, Dugan is most effective at right centre and so those who control our salary cap need to take that into consideration. Yes Dufty will be cheaper initially however, if Dufty becomes a sensation, it won't be long for him to come cap in hand asking for an upgrade.

7Seven7

Juniors
At the beginning of 2016 Dugan wanted to play at right centre and was selected there. He would have stayed there if the Dragons has a suitable fullback available however, he had to return to the fullback position.

These days, Dugan is most effective at right centre and so those who control our salary cap need to take that into consideration. Yes Dufty will be cheaper initially however, if Dufty becomes a sensation, it won't be long for him to come cap in hand asking for an upgrade.

Yes and no.

Dugan came to us a a fullback. mary in consultation with with the SOO NSW coach decided to move him to centre.

Inconvenient truth for many.

Dugan was instructed by our fearless coach to " run the ball "... that was his job . Metre eater. Just refer to his comments on several media outlets, that in fact he wants to play fullback. But, as a team team player he made an adjustment to centre to suit the club.

As a result of his adjustment, leap into country and state representation, the club has decided, his is worth less now, even though the salary cap will be increased by some margin... Go figure.

BennyV

Referee
Completely disagree. Whilst the media beat up about this shit is always ridiculous, they wouldn't be quoting that number for no reason. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that's what he and his manager are after, but again I remain sceptical.
Don't get me wrong, Dugan is worth 700k a season, I would LOVE to retain him and you are right, his knowledge will be invaluable to our juniors, so let's just make that clear before I continue.

However on what you were saying about it "balancing out" with playing Dufty at fullback, you are completely wrong. Whilst Dugan is a current rep player and has been phenomenal for us, if he is demanding this sort of money for 5 years it drains too much of the cap on one player for too long. You are saying "pay him what he wants", well I guarantee you he wants a long-term contract on huge money, anyone would, especially a player of his calibre. If Dufty, Field, Herbert, Garrick, Robson, Thompson or any of these guys breaks through.. When it comes time to re-signing them we will lose the battle to other clubs purely because we cannot afford to retain them due to the sort of money Dugan/Hunt will be on. Long term contracts are too risky for players like Dugan, especially if it's a ridiculous amount of money. It throws the team cap out of balance, you basically have to plan the qhole squad around one or two players.
Dugan's future lies in the centres, there is no doubt about that, either he takes a pay-cut.. Stays on his current salary or he leaves. The extra money will be necessary for looking at players to bolster the pack or keeping the cap balanced for the future.
Bollocks. The $1.1m isn't even quoted in the media, the only actual quotes are Dugan saying he wants to stay, and his manager wanting the deal finalised before the season. That's all. No quotes on a million dollars, not even a quote on what weve offered him.

You've 'quoted' me saying that we should pay him what he wants. Again, bollocks, as are any assumptions on what he does want. What I actually said is to pay him what he deserves which is at least what he is on now, considering his stance in our team and the game, and how valuable he has been over the past few years - he may have only won us 1 or 2, but he's sure as hell stopped us from losing many, many more!

Finally, your comment about Difty, Field etc is pure 'what if'. By stats, only 5% of u20s players will end up making a career of first grade, and fewer still will become 'stars'. So there's a high chance that only 1 (if any) of those kids will have a massive breakout year and in reality, any major price rises won't be for 3-4 years, by which time we should already have them locked up. Tedesco seems to be the go-to comparison for breakout players; does everyone realise he's been playing first grade for 5 years and only now is getting out on the big dollars? Hardly realistic to think we will need to shell out millions in the next half decade for kids who haven't played a minute of first grade.

If we lose these youngsters, it will have nothing to do with the deserved salary of Dugan (assuming he is paid the same as he is now on, which he deserves).

Gareth67

First Grade
josh is close to signing a deal with the roosters

There are some among us my little friend , whose hearts do not beat as well as they once did . Please , tell me that you merely have a dry - a very dry , sense of humour ?

dragonssamy61

First Grade
There are some among us my little friend , whose hearts do not beat as well as they once did . Please , tell me that you merely have a dry - a very dry , sense of humour ?

Gareth the rooster have made a offer and dont forget he is best mates with Ferguson.

Gareth67

First Grade
Can anyone please supply a link that states Dugan is after a 5yr $1.1m deal?
If not then it's all make-believe and just riding the coat tail press hysteria over Hunt.

Agree with you there with the media hysteria . Whoever it was that thought this one up must be rolling with laughter , as they read our reactions . Lord help us for whatever else their feeble little minds think-up .

7Seven7

Juniors
If he earns less than what he is on, then i wish him all the best be it the Roosters or apparently Parra. If so thanks for the memories Dugan. Im sure like u did at Canberra u will tear us apart under a coach than can actually get the best out of your talent..

Keep representing your country and your state..

Seems they know less about your value than the club does.

FMD...

This Year?

Immortal
I think Josh is courageous to look for another club to play for. I wonder if after every interview he will miraculously make a full recovery after looking to be injured by the questions from his potential employer.

Lewish33

Juniors
View attachment 11519 View attachment 11518

I was concerned that the Rorters may had whispered in his ear , much earlier this year .
We pay big money for one player (Hunt) and our salary cap suddenly turns to shit and we have to let our rep players go. Why do the Roosters, Broncos, Panthers then have no trouble picking them up with no such issues?

Is this good cap management by all other clubs or more likely inept management by ours?

blacksafake

First Grade
A bird in hand philosophy is far better than trying to catch the one that flew away.
Jack Bird will never come back plain and simple and letting our best players go in the hope of doing that is lunacy.
As I said get a real coach and then see what these players are worth.
Well said OT

blacksafake

First Grade
I'd be comfortable with letting Dugan go if we follow his departure up with a BIG signing. I'm talking someone like Taumalolo, Bird, Tedesco or Peats.

If he really is asking that much then he needs to go anyway, but along with Widdop leaving (hopefully) we'll have enough cash in the bank to splurge a little bit.
Taumalolo would be my number 1 target.
Peats a big signing?
IMO he's just an injury prone worker

RPG437

Juniors
We pay big money for one player (Hunt) and our salary cap suddenly turns to shit and we have to let our rep players go. Why do the Roosters, Broncos, Panthers then have no trouble picking them up with no such issues?

Is this good cap management by all other clubs or more likely inept management by ours?
Both mate this is the world of the Third Party Agreement (TPD) which makes a mockery of the salary cap.
The clubs you mention have shrewd boards and in the case of the Chooks mates at the big end of town.
Sadly we aren't in that league or even close and no prospects of bridging the gap.
As for Duges they should keep him but not for this bogus $1.1M per year figure being tossed around as gospel. Modest upgrade for sure. Pissing Widdop off is the imperative based on what I saw in the Charity Shield free up some cash.
Does anyone think a new coach with some real idea could redeem Widdop??