What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JOSH DUGAN UNLEASHES ON DRAGONS

TruSaint

Referee
I'd be offering him a 1 year deal for $850-900K. We can't let Dugan walk and expect to win the comp in 2018. It also enables the Club to put a realistic back-ended deal for Mann, as he approaches his peak years, & gives us a shot at retaining Lafai. I can't see us retaining Packer as well.

agree, and let out talented juniors come through slowly.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
It sounds like the Merrin, Brett Morris situation.They all say they wanted to stay but the Dragons won't meet their asking price and the find the extra money elsewhere and leave.

The players get greedy and leaves for more money.

The club doesn't want to blow the salary cap and pay overs in their eyes for a greedy unappreciative brat.

I'm torn on which way to go. I'm leaning towards letting him go and sign Packer and Mann.

This needs clarification; the two above mentioned player's weren't "greedy"...the club reneged on certain promises.

possm

Coach
It's obvious it is all about the money; Dugan wants the very best deal he can get, the Dragons need to watch their cap - especially on a 4 year deal and of course, the player managers want their commission.

All of this delay helps Packer maximise his earnings and so there might just be a plan hatched by the manager to string things alone so Packer and Dugan receive maximum pay.

TruSaint

Referee
It's obvious it is all about the money; Dugan wants the very best deal he can get, the Dragons need to watch their cap - especially on a 4 year deal and of course, the player managers want their commission.

All of this delay helps Packer maximise his earnings and so there might just be a plan hatched by the manager to string things alone so Packer and Dugan receive maximum pay.

Hard to keep both Possm.

Russell Packer considering shock switch from Dragons
image: http://prod.static9.net.au/_/media/2017/05/05/11/44/the_mole_byline.jpg

the_mole_byline.jpg
By The Mole6 hours ago

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2017%2F05%2F05%2F11%2F28%2FrussellPacker_DragonsMole_1.jpg

Prop Russell Packer could leave St George Illawarra Dragons
FShareTTweetBEmail
St George Illawarra prop Russell Packer - who makes a return to Test football after six years in representative exile in tonight's clash against the Kangaroos - is considering a shock move from the Dragons to the Tigers in 2018.

Packer came to grade under Tigers coach Ivan Cleary at the Warriors in 2008 and the pair have remained close.

The big front-rower is in the best form of his career and the Tigers have a heap of money to spend under the salary cap following the departure of superstars Mitchell Moses, Aaron Woods and James Tedesco.

Cleary sees him as an ideal replacement for Woods up front, despite also having signed another of his former Warriors’ big men, prop Ben Matulino.

And the Tigers will throw the kind of money at Packer that the Dragons will have trouble matching.

TruSaint

Referee
This may be BS, but the fact is Packer is now in demand. Esp with Aaron Woods leaving.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
i believe (ironically) the uncertainty surrounding McGregor's situation is helping the conundrum either. Given 'Mary's' very public appraisal that Dugan is the club's number one fullback, should he be retained as coach Dugan would probably receive the renumeration he reckons he's worth.

This highlights the dysfunctional relationship between McGregor and Millward apropos their specifically designed roles as appropriated by Peter Doust.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
You know a club does not have to wait till the year a players contract is ending to extend the contract. If the Dragons really rate Packer, and I'm sure they do, why didn't they extend his contract another two years back in the 2016 season instead of waiting till all of these first graders were coming off contract.

Like I've said before, it's a mess, no matter how people like to spin it. We could end up losing Dugan, Packer, Mann, Lafai and Milne. Anyone who thinks that is a good idea is not being serious.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Josh tweeted last friday and i was so impressed with his tweet.

A week later i read this and i cant say how dissapointed i am that his gone and said this to the media. Completely thrown our club under the bus, he considers himself a leader, what leader would do this?

He should of kept his mouth shut and continued negotiating, if he beleives his wroth a million dollars then try sell yourself to other clubs, dont throw our club under the bus and act like youve been mis-treated or under valued

The clubs offer is more then enough his worth, i credit the club for only offering 700k because thats all his worth, at the most ive said id give him 800k but after reading this article theres no way in the world ill give him a cent more then 700k

Find it elsewhere and give me Gagai at 700k

100% barry
If this is what duges said then goodbye.
If he not 100% committed to the dragons then let him go.
We can not let this set us back .
It must be resolved asap.
Otherwise we might end up with no one.
Sign
Mann
Lafai
Packer
And then milne if we have any cap left.
We need to get it done.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Agreed mate.
The problem now may be that Duges gets shitty and loses his zest to perform at his best each week, not unlike when he was at Canberra ...................... that would be a real worry.

Agree Old Kogarah Boy
If that was the case.
Drop him ti illawarra for the rest of the season.
But only if he spits the dummy.
Give mann or Field a go.
We may find a cheaper alternative with one of them interally than going outside

Dugan can ask whatever he likes he will probably not get it and will have to sign for less then he wants if he is serious about staying in the NRL.

Packer if he wants to move on so be it the club was the only one that wanted to give him another shot everyone else turned their backs on him so if thats not enough to keep him then so be it.

Milne can be replaced within the young outside backs the club has at present is very exciting.

I would like the club to keep Lafai he has turned things around and is becoming the guy i always knew he could and has been a very classy centre.

Mann they really need to keep him for his utility value especially with Hutchison coming back from an ACL inury another guy the club should retain.

possm

Coach
Do a swap deal with the Titans for Hayne before June 30. That way no dummy spit no trouble and everyone happy. Condition would be that Hayne's manager organise the continuation of Haynes TPA.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
With the cap rise, I believe we have around 1.7m left in our cap however, we still have to sign Dugan, Packer, Lafai, Milne and Mann. The reason Millward is holding at 800k is because at that point we will lose Milne and Mann only. Packer 500k and Lafai 400k sees us use up all our cap. These figures are estimates only mainly because contract prices, salary cap balances and TPAs are not published.

800k is a lot of money for either a fullback or a centre.
I think 700 is a tad under but 800k is a very fair price.
Dugan may be only 26 but to me, because he puts his body on the line, he has a body of a 30-32 year old.
He's lost a fair bit of pace and he's not one to actively pass the ball but what he lacks in those departments, he makes up with heart and putting in week after week.
We've had many a star player over the years but they haven't all backed up week after week.
Dugan is pretty consistent.
Someone needs to take him aside and give him a quiet talk and help him over the line ......... or move on.
No more paper talk.

Gandhi

Juniors
Not according to all the decision makers... eg, coaches for the country and SOO. He is always picked in the squad. Be it FB or centre. Hey remember an immortal went to rake to make way for Kimmorley In SOO... Yes A Johns. Its where a player best fits a squad. At SOO level he is a centre, at club level he is a FB. Hope is we lose him Dufty and co. can match his impact, both offensively or defensively.May happen, but not yet... Untested ..
Yes i agree...pick him for whatever you want. King of wollongong if you desire. The fact is our club has made a good offer....take it or leave it.
Or go and apply for a job signing players and pay what YOU want.......rorter?!

Gandhi

Juniors
800k is a lot of money for either a fullback or a centre.
I think 700 is a tad under but 800k is a very fair price.
Dugan may be only 26 but to me, because he puts his body on the line, he has a body of a 30-32 year old.
He's lost a fair bit of pace and he's not one to actively pass the ball but what he lacks in those departments, he makes up with heart and putting in week after week.
We've had many a star player over the years but they haven't all backed up week after week.
Dugan is pretty consistent.
Someone needs to take him aside and give him a quiet talk and help him over the line ......... or move on.
No more paper talk.
Perfect. Finally a sensible head.

Gandhi

Juniors
i believe (ironically) the uncertainty surrounding McGregor's situation is helping the conundrum either. Given 'Mary's' very public appraisal that Dugan is the club's number one fullback, should he be retained as coach Dugan would probably receive the renumeration he reckons he's worth.

This highlights the dysfunctional relationship between McGregor and Millward apropos their specifically designed roles as appropriated by Peter Doust.
It sort of says mcgregor isnt going to be offered anything by the club as well. Him and duges on a lonely planet together?

Gandhi

Juniors
I believe that young Josh needs to have a few words with a chap by the name of Dennis Tutty .

He would be one bloke who could explain to him , just how hard it was for a footballer to earn a dollar back in the 60's and my guess is that he would do so , without the need to bitch about it .
Trouble is josh has a childs brain inside a mans body.