What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Kerr

Old Timer

Coach
I saw him play a few games of NYC and yes, I believe that coaching plays a huge part in why he hasn't fulfilled his potential, despite still being solid. Only need to see how different he looked playing in CvC this year. Price tried to turn him into a battering ram, with a whole lot of crossing over behind the ruck. Didn't work. Mary seems to be trying to turn him into a halfback, to the extent where one can almost expect him to pass when he gets the ball. Doesn't work.

His actual strength lies somewhere in the middle TBH. If he could pick and choose when he plays that first receiver James Graham type role, it would be far more effective. Likewise, if our forwards didn't insist on running one out, it would give him more chances to utilise offloads. Maybe then we'd see his actual ability.
I think he needs to bulk up a fair bit and concentrate on a front row spot because if not the younger blokes playing back row coming through will go past him pretty quickly.

Bench
I don't know why people bag JDB so much, OK he is no superstar but his performances each week in my opinion entitles him to be picked each week.

Just my opinion but will bow to the more knowledgable followers of the forum

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I dont know dude... all i was told is 220k a year.
Keep in mind although he trained as fullback he wasnt in demand as a high end fullback when we signed him.
The impression i got from the explanation is he was a "we will try him at fullback and see how he goes" signing rather then a "yes!!! We got a top quality fullback" signing.
Hope that helps.

I would say you spot on that is what he cost is for salary cap. That does not include incentive if there is any and 3rd party as they are not inclded in the basic cap.

Sigurd

Juniors
So very, very untrue. Sam Burgess is the best middle forward in the game. As a Souths player, I despise him but despite some poor form this year, he is a proven superstar. International. Premiership winner. Genuine forward leader - hell, he genuinely inspired the team to that premiership!

In contrast, JDB is a decent forward who started with all the potential in the world, but hasnt come close to realising that potential. Over-uses his first-receiver movement, runs hard enough but doesnt bend the line too much, and doesnt utilise his offload enough. If it werent for our lack of props, he'd be in real danger of losing the 13 to Simms. In their best form, I'd take Burgess over 3xJDB.

Even when you run through our forward pack, he wouldnt be in our Top 3 forward leaders, Top 3 of current form or Top 3 on overall career form.

Why do you avoid answering the question?

Based on form this year, if Burgess is on over 1mil a season, in comparison and in your opinion, is JDB worth 700k?

I can't make it any simpler. I'm not saying JDB is worth 700k per-year or that he is better than Burgess or any of that.

IMO JDB was the 3rd best forward last year (behind LAM and Frizell) and has been the second best this year (behind Frizell). Actually this year I would say he has been the second best player in the team. Duges has been great when he has played but has been out for quite a few games. This being so I highly unappreciate someone whose mental faculties are no longer working perfectly slipping in a snipe at JDB in every post he makes.

BennyV

Referee

Based on form this year, if Burgess is on over 1mil a season, in comparison and in your opinion, is JDB worth 700k?

I can't make it any simpler. I'm not saying JDB is worth 700k per-year or that he is better than Burgess or any of that.

IMO JDB was the 3rd best forward last year (behind LAM and Frizell) and has been the second best this year (behind Frizell). Actually this year I would say he has been the second best player in the team. Duges has been great when he has played but has been out for quite a few games. This being so I highly unappreciate someone whose mental faculties are no longer working perfectly slipping in a snipe at JDB in every post he makes.
You asked the question that finished in 'is this untrue in your opinion'. I answered that in the first sentence of my post. Try reading.

No idea on what basis hed be second best player this year, but on forwards you'd have Friz and Packer, with daylight third. Simms is up there, considering hes only played a handful of games. JDB would be on par with Ah Mau and Cooper, solid enough but not really a standout and not playing to their capability.

Last year, on top of Ah Mau and Friz, Thompson and Cooper played a level above and Merrin was a better player.

I'm not saying JDB is a poor player because hes not, hes very solid and a necessary workhorse who wont let us down, I think that he could potentially be brilliant but at the moment hes not that, and I'd be surprised if he does meet that. Unlikely to reach Origin levels.

Old Timer

Coach

First of all you engage Benny V and yet again you see fit to validate your position by coming up with the "snipe JD B" comment which is ridiculous as previously pointed out.
Wake up this is a forum where people have differing opinions.
People make comments, some people just read them others respond and engage but this is not a clone fest.
I offer my opinions in good faith but if they don't concur with your position you take umbrage which is childish on your part.
We don't have to agree with each other thats how it works around here and just because I see it differently doesn't give you the right to make commentary on peoples mental capacity bit if you in fact choose to turn it into a shit throwing contest I can assure you I am very good at it.

The Doc

Juniors
At the end of the day, everyone has a type of player thats there preference.
Example, i like JDB, but if i had my way he wouldnt still be in our starting pack or even on the bench.
The guy has heart, is a tackling machine, but as a forward, i want a player that runs hard, bends the line, drags defenders etc etc.
Again thats my choice.
A forward needs to tackle, yes, and JDB does that better then most, but in my opinion he lacks in areas that are a must for a forward.
If we had a forward pack like the dogs for example, JDB would be excellent.
Other big mamals do the hit ups etc, and he can tackle his heart out.
We dont have forwards that can barge up field and make the easy metres to offord a JDB type player the luxury of just tackling.
So depends on each persons personal preference.
Hope that helps the debate

duck

Juniors
Doc I think JDB has to be in the 17 but you're correct he'd be so much better amongst a bigger pack. Hits well above his weight and is (slowly) developing into a ball playing forward.
We'll be bigger and better next year. Mose will be back. Sims. Packer. Hopefully Leilua. That new Melbourne guy. Looking better than this time last year.

The Doc

Juniors
Doc I think JDB has to be in the 17 but you're correct he'd be so much better amongst a bigger pack. Hits well above his weight and is (slowly) developing into a ball playing forward.
We'll be bigger and better next year. Mose will be back. Sims. Packer. Hopefully Leilua. That new Melbourne guy. Looking better than this time last year.
I agree, with Mose and hopefully Leilua and maybe one more big bopper up front JDB will be valuable.
What i meant was with our current pack, his style doesnt suit.
Like i said, i like the guy, has heart, but in our current set up he isnt the best type to use as a forward.
Hopefully next year with more big boys on board he will be a Josh Jackson type player.

Sigurd

Juniors
You asked the question that finished in 'is this untrue in your opinion'. I answered that in the first sentence of my post. Try reading.

No idea on what basis hed be second best player this year, but on forwards you'd have Friz and Packer, with daylight third. Simms is up there, considering hes only played a handful of games. JDB would be on par with Ah Mau and Cooper, solid enough but not really a standout and not playing to their capability.

Last year, on top of Ah Mau and Friz, Thompson and Cooper played a level above and Merrin was a better player.

I'm not saying JDB is a poor player because hes not, hes very solid and a necessary workhorse who wont let us down, I think that he could potentially be brilliant but at the moment hes not that, and I'd be surprised if he does meet that. Unlikely to reach Origin levels.

You are right. You did answer. I should read more carefully. You also stated "despite poor form this year". Bit of a contradiction but it's ok. I forgive you:cool:.

You are also right that Packer has been good this year. Last year JDB was leading the competition for offloads until he was injured. The team went off a cliff when he got injured. This year I agree even though some is good, he props and does the ball-playing too much but it seems to me he is following instructions. He still eats up the running meters and of course tackles every game. Add in a little ball-playing and a few offloads and... IMO we have the second or third best player in the team.

BennyV

Referee
You are right. You did answer. I should read more carefully. You also stated "despite poor form this year". Bit of a contradiction but it's ok. I forgive you:cool:.

You are also right that Packer has been good this year. Last year JDB was leading the competition for offloads until he was injured. The team went off a cliff when he got injured. This year I agree even though some is good, he props and does the ball-playing too much but it seems to me he is following instructions. He still eats up the running meters and of course tackles every game. Add in a little ball-playing and a few offloads and... IMO we have the second or third best player in the team.
Seem to be a few 'if's in there. I do agree that he is following instructions in his overuse of the ball playings, but it's simply another reason he hasn't fulfilled his potential. His running a metres aren't that impressive compared with our other forwards - on a per game basis he's behind Cooper and Simms, and when you take minutes into consideration he's behind Packer, Ah Mau and Friz too. And his offloads aren't that impressive, behind Packer, Matthews, Cooper and Ah Mau (plus a bunch of backs). Nothing in there that makes him in our top 2-3 forwards, let alone players.

His thing, at the moment (and unlikely to change unless a new coach can properly unlock him) is tackling. And he does it well. It's numbers, you need someone in the team to make those big tackle numbers, and for that reason I think he needs to be a starter and play big minutes. He's got the ability to make big impact, but doesn't do it consistently enough to put fear into the opposition. But yeah, still disagree that he's in our top players.

Sigurd

Juniors
Seem to be a few 'if's in there. I do agree that he is following instructions in his overuse of the ball playings, but it's simply another reason he hasn't fulfilled his potential. His running a metres aren't that impressive compared with our other forwards - on a per game basis he's behind Cooper and Simms, and when you take minutes into consideration he's behind Packer, Ah Mau and Friz too. And his offloads aren't that impressive, behind Packer, Matthews, Cooper and Ah Mau (plus a bunch of backs). Nothing in there that makes him in our top 2-3 forwards, let alone players.

His thing, at the moment (and unlikely to change unless a new coach can properly unlock him) is tackling. And he does it well. It's numbers, you need someone in the team to make those big tackle numbers, and for that reason I think he needs to be a starter and play big minutes. He's got the ability to make big impact, but doesn't do it consistently enough to put fear into the opposition. But yeah, still disagree that he's in our top players.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. JDB only excels in defence but he is good in pretty much every other facet of the game. With a better coach and better supporting actors, I think you will see him excel in more areas of the game. In the first half of last season Marshall was getting all the laurels (and no doubting he was playing very well) but JDB before he was injured was the unsung hero. I remember reading that if stats were to decide the NSW SOO team, he would be the first player chosen. I stick by my position that he is in the top 5 players of the squad. Dugan, Frizell, Packer, JDB and ......... who?

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Rugby League names you don’t know but soon will ahead of NRL season 2017

• by NATHAN RYAN
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA

Josh Kerr — forward

Joining the club from Melbourne, Kerr was one of the most in demand forwards off-contract in the NYC.

At 198cm and 115kgs, the 20-year-old can play in the middle or on an edge.

A member of Queensland’s under 20s side this year, Kerr will push for a place in the Dragons NRL side following the exit of Mike Cooper although he’ll probably see plenty of Intrust Super Premiership action with the Cutters.

Also keep an eye out for NSW 20s fullback Matt Dufty.

Dufty recently re-signed until the end of 2018 and finished the 20s season as the second highest try scorer.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...7/news-story/c5ad426822675cfb8c12bac877bfcb80

Old Timer

Coach
Josh Kerr was rated highly for 5 minutes in this place and quickly became the forgotten man when Vaughan was signed.

Gotta love the wording of the post when it says "he will push for a place in the NRL side to replace Cooper although he'll probably see plenty of action with the Cutters."

Outstanding that we have already dampened his prospects, can't wait until Mc Gronk gets a hold of him he should become a bench warmer for park football pretty quickly.

BennyV

Referee
Was mentioned by several in the know that he was bought as a project player, will more than likely play out the season in Cutters save for an injury crisis with a view to pushing for a prop spot in 2018 (along with Sele, although he may get preference in 2017). Was seen as a better prospect as a front rower than any of our own juniors coming through.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Was mentioned by several in the know that he was bought as a project player, will more than likely play out the season in Cutters save for an injury crisis with a view to pushing for a prop spot in 2018 (along with Sele, although he may get preference in 2017). Was seen as a better prospect as a front rower than any of our own juniors coming through.
Gives you 2 different body shapes and options with Sele and Kerr. Both still very young for middle players with plenty of time to develop given our forward stocks are actually looking very good currently.

The Doc

Juniors
Will definitely start the season with the cutters.
But a little inside info, there are BIG raps on Kerr within the dragons.
There is a big belief if he gets a run due to injury that he will cement a first grade spot. Thats how high the opinion of him is within the dragons.
If he gets a bench spot, we will have a HUGE bench!
Vaughan, Mose, Sims, and Kerr.... with starting forwards AhMau, Packer, Frizz, Thomo, and the way its looking JDB at 13.
Thats a monsterous bench...
But believe me when i tell you, the plan with Kerr is not to play the entire season with the cutters, he will get a run in 1st grade and the expectation is he will hold his own and cement a first grade spot.

Walpole

Juniors
It's funny that everyone these days thinks we need an enormous pack. It wasnt that long ago that we won a comp with a bunch of 6 foot, 100 kilo forwards who were genuinely tough players (Smith, Costigan, Scott, Young).