What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Kerr

Old Timer

Coach
Yeah hasler does suck... u sing his praises like he is a mesiah.
Mary macgregor could take those bulldogs teams to a grand final.
The last 5 years he hasnt done shit. Give any coach in the NRL the bulldogs squad and watch every coach look like a super coach.
And... how many of the current bulldogs squad are actually bulldogs juniors?
Everyone is entitled to there opinion, my opinion is hasler is a good coach but isnt that good of a coach. Any coach could look like a super coach with the squads hasler has had the last 5 years.
I think you are missing a salient point.
The top 4 or 5 teams all have fantastic rosters, coaching staff and support group (unlike us post 2011)
For a team to make let alone win a GF is an extreme accomplishment.
Hasler has consistently been able to get his teams in a position to get a shot at it and that speaks volumes of his ability.
The diversity of teams winning the comp and the lack of teams going back to back shows you the magnitude of winning a GF.
On you assessment does the Roosters coach become a failure because they won 3 minor premierships but no comps?

The Doc

Juniors
I never said Hasler was a failure... i simply said in my opinion he isnt the super coach alot make him out to be.
Robinson lost a few players this year.... hows he gone? He isnt a bad coach... but is he still seen as this super coach?
The rabits won the gf... lost burgess and teo... how did they go?
Is there coach still this super coach that he was seen as in 2014?
Dont get me wrong.... im not saying hasler is a shit coach... im just saying if u put bennett or belamy in charge of the dogs the last 5 years... they wouldv won 2 if not 3 premierships with those squads.
I honestly believe even mary could consistently get those squads into the semis. And i dont rate mary at all....

since77

Juniors
I think Hasler is a very good, but not great coach - his methods have a one trick pony feel to them - bash and barge with big forwards, and have the backs feed off the offloads. His problem has always been he doesn't have a plan B. He won a GF at Manly because he had a better, fitter and grittier team at Manly, whereas the Bulldogs lose their way if the plan isn't working and the opposition can stay with them until they tire.
But to say anyone could have coached the Bulldogs and had the success they've had over the last 5 years or so is a stretch. I can only imagine Bennett, Bellamy or Robinson having better results and only maybe Maguire having similar results to Hasler with that roster.

Mr Red

First Grade
I never said Hasler was a failure... i simply said in my opinion he isnt the super coach alot make him out to be.
Robinson lost a few players this year.... hows he gone? He isnt a bad coach... but is he still seen as this super coach?
The rabits won the gf... lost burgess and teo... how did they go?
Is there coach still this super coach that he was seen as in 2014?
Dont get me wrong.... im not saying hasler is a shit coach... im just saying if u put bennett or belamy in charge of the dogs the last 5 years... they wouldv won 2 if not 3 premierships with those squads.
I honestly believe even mary could consistently get those squads into the semis. And i dont rate mary at all....

The quality of players you mentioned these coaches had and lost are a quality of player that our coach wouldn't attract in the first place.
And there lies the key benefit of coaches like Hasler, they have the respect of the top players, whereas those same players probably laugh at Mary .

BennyV

Referee
The last 5 years he hasnt done shit. Give any coach in the NRL the bulldogs squad and watch every coach look like a super coach.
Everyone is entitled to there opinion, my opinion is hasler is a good coach but isnt that good of a coach. Any coach could look like a super coach with the squads hasler has had the last 5 years.
Not singing his praises, just acknowledging that he is, in fact, a great coach.
Interesting that you claim any coach could take that team to a GF when the same team missed the 8 in 2011. FFS, the dude had Keating and Reynolds in the halves and won a minor premiership, he created a game plan that utilises the skills of his squad.
Who cares if their players are juniors, that's the pulling power of a successful coach.
And no, Mary could not coach the dogs squad to anything. What he could do is fail and come up with a list of reasons that is everyone elses fault.
And if a premiership, 2 runner ups and a minor premiership in 5 years is 'hasnt done shit' then you've got issues.

The Doc

Juniors
And yet..

Dig up bro...
Meaning what? A coach cant be a good coach but not a super coach?
Trying to twist words as if your going to contradict me.
Wake up to yourself dude... he sucks... he isnt a super coach... he is an ordinary coach. Nothing special at all.
Would you like me to try word it a little more simple for you to understand?
I dont rate him... he can coach no doubt... but he is no super coach.

The Doc

Juniors
The quality of players you mentioned these coaches had and lost are a quality of player that our coach wouldn't attract in the first place.
And there lies the key benefit of coaches like Hasler, they have the respect of the top players, whereas those same players probably laugh at Mary .
Offer the TPAs that the dogs offer and even thurston would be interested regardless of coach.
Lets not be kids here... players play for the money... forget the "to win a premiership" bullshit...
They play for a short time... its about securing themselves financially.
Kasiano was on the verge of signing with us untill the grubs threw in massive TPAs to keep him.
Players play for money... loyalty in league died years ago.

BringTheNoise

Juniors

As Mary has demonstrated over the last 2 years you can't just "give any coach in the NRL the Bulldogs squad". Hasler has assembled that squad. Good players want to play for him because he's a good coach. He has no trouble signing or retaining the players he wants.

No amount of money Dragons throw around can draw a marquee signing to play under Mary because by contrast to Hasler he is a terrible coach.

The Doc

Juniors
As Mary has demonstrated over the last 2 years you can't just "give any coach in the NRL the Bulldogs squad". Hasler has assembled that squad. Good players want to play for him because he's a good coach. He has no trouble signing or retaining the players he wants.

No amount of money Dragons throw around can draw a marquee signing to play under Mary because by contrast to Hasler he is a terrible coach.
Yet its sooked that we have to pay players overs to come.
In my opinion money talks...
And yes... any coach would coach those bulldogs teams into the semis...

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Yet its sooked that we have to pay players overs to come.
In my opinion money talks...
And yes... any coach would coach those bulldogs teams into the semis...

If your theory is correct why did the Bulldogs spend millions luring Hasler when they could have saved money and just signed Steve Price instead?

Are you actually suggesting that the position of head coach is redundant?

The Doc

Juniors
If your theory is correct why did the Bulldogs spend millions luring Hasler when they could have saved money and just signed Steve Price instead?

Are you actually suggesting that the position of head coach is redundant?
Here we go... no one said the head coach is reduntant.
If 2 clubs offer the same money it comes down to coach.
But its rarely the case. Money talks.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
There is no such thing as a "super coach'

A coach at NRL level, has to be able to demonstrate:
1. Man management
2. Game plan management
3. Motivation
4. Able to make the tough decisions and not allow reputation to dominate
5. Be able to attract players to the club
6. A better than 50% win/loss ratio
7. Able to address the media and/or fans in the correct manner
8. Accept defeat without apportioning blame
9. Ability to understand the importance of his assistants
10. Understand how to use the interchange correctly.

I'm sure there's more.

Hasler does or has most of these which does make him a good coach, it's a shame our current coach would be lucky to score 1 out of this list.

The Doc

Juniors
Not singing his praises, just acknowledging that he is, in fact, a great coach.
Interesting that you claim any coach could take that team to a GF when the same team missed the 8 in 2011. FFS, the dude had Keating and Reynolds in the halves and won a minor premiership, he created a game plan that utilises the skills of his squad.
Who cares if their players are juniors, that's the pulling power of a successful coach.
And no, Mary could not coach the dogs squad to anything. What he could do is fail and come up with a list of reasons that is everyone elses fault.
And if a premiership, 2 runner ups and a minor premiership in 5 years is 'hasnt done shit' then you've got issues.
Firstly... with the forwards he has... any halves can dominate and look good.
Heres an example... hodgkinson and reynolds.
Both were linked to us at some stage... and both got a "f@#k how desperate have we become" from our fans.
And whats the pulling power of the coach? He lured williams, a winger, for 600k and played him in the second row.
Now, did williams come to play under hasler? For 600k he will come and play for mary.
Widdop left bellamey to play under price why? Cause price is a great coach?
Yeah ummm nah i dont think so... the reason... as iv said all along... money talks. That simple.

BennyV

Referee
Firstly... with the forwards he has... any halves can dominate and look good.
Heres an example... hodgkinson and reynolds.
Both were linked to us at some stage... and both got a "f@#k how desperate have we become" from our fans.
And whats the pulling power of the coach? He lured williams, a winger, for 600k and played him in the second row.
Now, did williams come to play under hasler? For 600k he will come and play for mary.
Widdop left bellamey to play under price why? Cause price is a great coach?
Yeah ummm nah i dont think so... the reason... as iv said all along... money talks. That simple.
Nice way of trying to steer your argument in a different direction when you've got no valid points to make. Vasilevsky would be proud!

BennyV

Referee
Another interesting stat - Hasler started coaching in 2004, taking control of a mess of a team in the wake of the Norths/Manly fallout. Following his first year of coaching, he has not missed the finals since. 12 years straight, including building and re-building a premiership team and creating a GF team from a bottom 8 team. And in that time, no other coach has made the 8 every year.

But yeah, shitty coach hey. Im sure Mary could do all that, we just gotta sign him up for life. Plus it was purely because of the players. The guy is an imposter, really.

The Doc

Juniors
Nice way of trying to steer your argument in a different direction when you've got no valid points to make. Vasilevsky would be proud!
Oh and ps... please point out "no valid points" for me?
Did williams not leave for 600k? Was it a master stroke by the super coach?
Did Widdop not leave Bellamey for price only for the money? Or do u honestly believe he left to "play under one of the greatest coaches" in steve price?
I think i make some pretty valid points... i think ur obsession with Vasilevsky has u beating the same boring bullshit over and over.
Either way... u love hasler... i dont rate him as a super coach... each to there own.
Ur opinions mean as much to me as mine do to you... actually slighty less as u seem to love to jump in and quote my posts trying to show im wrong... but ummm... i cant be wrong with my opinion now can i?
Anyways... go back to aruing with vasilevsky and dino... they are more on ur level then i am.
Hope the win tonight didnt bother u too much... ;-)

emu62

Juniors
Unfortunately i work with a lot of Bullgrub supporters and most of them don't rate Hasler at all.
Their complaints are he only has 1 game plan, when that doesn't work, no plan B
Funny how everyone's perceptions are different