What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Kerr

Uplifting

Juniors
Not a smart move by the Dragons management if they didn't budget for him. Luch should have played NRL a lot earlier. Dufty has placed a lot of faith in staying - for his sake it better not have been misplaced in to the hands of a 1st grade couch who can't believe in young players playing 1st grade.

I'm just glad Mary isn't the Australian swim coach. Chambers would still be in the 'little pool' - not old enough nor ready for the Olympic games.

TruSaint

Referee
I know about Tony Williams but the others still have to be paid if they are being released while still under contract and it remains part of the salary cap. They would have had to upgrade Klemmar, they have a winger on fullback money, a massively overpaid halfback and hooker and their own juniors to pay as well. With Rein and Marshall leaving, Widdop in the last season of his contract, Lafai and half a dozen other reserve grade recruits likely to be released, I can't fathom that we wouldn't be able to outbid the Dogs.

Sam Perret retiring

The 2 players I have heard are Tim Browne and Curtis Rona....

TPA's mate...

mobels

Juniors
Can't be true. Surely not. I know they have 10 times the TPAs we do (thanks Doust) but even so, they have to pay to keep the Morris brothers (remember the story about Brett Morris going to play fullback and being paid much more as a result?), the forward pack which is almost half made up of internationals with a hooker who isn't exactly pushing on like he was expected to but who is still under contract.
He wouldn't be getting much if he went to the Dogs, just slightly above the minimum wage. However he'd be getting the lure of better coaching structures.

I'm still confident we'll be able to keep Luciano, We'd be able to offer him more money and the major lure of a definite spot in the top 17 every week, something that clubs like Canberra and the Dogs can't.

The Doc

Juniors
Sam Perret retiring

The 2 players I have heard are Tim Browne and Curtis Rona....

TPA's mate...
Add Tony Williams... and Lloyd Perrett... i know perretts not on big dollars but his money alone would pay for Leilua.
In saying that the grubs need to replace Rona and Sam Perrett...
But Williams alone frees up 600k.... add perrett and rona and brown and thats in excess of a million dollars.
All the upgrades for Klemmer, Eastwood, Graham, Mybe, Jackson, Kasiano etc etc will just be TPAs anyways.
Greenburgs got the grubs back in making sure the minimum amounts possible are registered on the salary cap.
If the dogs are sniffing Leilua, then he is as good as gone im afraid. As proven by klemmer eatwood williams jackson graham and kasiano, the dogs spend big on forwards.

TruSaint

Referee
Add Tony Williams... and Lloyd Perrett... i know perretts not on big dollars but his money alone would pay for Leilua.
But Williams alone frees up 600k.... add perrett and rona and brown and thats in excess of a million dollars.
All the upgrades for Klemmer, Eastwood, Graham, Mybe, Jackson, Kasiano etc etc will just be TPAs anyways.
Greenburgs got the grubs back in making sure the minimum amounts possible are registered on the salary cap.
If the dogs are sniffing Leilua, then he is as good as gone im afraid. As proven by klemmer eatwood williams jackson graham and kasiano, the dogs spend big on forwards.

I agree...

denis preston

First Grade
Add Tony Williams... and Lloyd Perrett... i know perr

Sorry Doc , normally agree with you but if they cant retain him they wouldn't have played him.last week and they know that even if have to pay overs , him leaving will be a bad look for everyone so they must save face and Lucky is pivotal to this.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

They already signed Brenko Lee from the Raiders and have Kerrod Holland and Brad Abbey biding their time. So, they really don't need any further backs. They haven't re-signed Eastwood or Jackson as yet and I did hear they were trying to offload Eastwood earlier in the year.
Your right about Williams, he was signed on big coin and delivered very little, so it is obvious they want to replace him with a younger version who can come much cheaper.

Let's hope, as someone said on JA, that it may just be his manager trying to up the ante and squeeze some more $$$ out of the Dragons.

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
Money might not even be a factor. Who says he even wants to play at saints? Who would you rather play under? Hasler or McGregor?

FlameThrower

Bench
Dogs have Perret retiring, Rona to rugby, Eastwood shopped around and Trex not wanted. I hope our Club has not cocked up another potential star..
We show almost no faith in our juniors...until other clubs try to poach them, then we are hamstrung in a bidding war that we can't match.

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
Stating the obvious here but this is a club that struggles to attract marquee players, so it's imperative that they retain and develop their most promising juniors.
If we can't do that what can we offer!?
An opportunity for journeymen.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
If he has signed with the Dogs then he's a knob or whoever is telling him its a good move is a bigger knob.

He will waste away in the NSW Cup for a few years and probably fade into obscurity.

I couldn't disagree more. If it's true then he's a smart kid making the right decision for his football future. Dogs have an infinitely superior system and Hasler has an excellent record developing forwards.

Dragons have a very poor record of developing juniors and no sign of changing any time soon.

I sincerely hope he stays but I could understand if his preference was to leave for a better club and coach.

The Doc

Juniors
Money might not even be a factor. Who says he even wants to play at saints? Who would you rather play under? Hasler or McGregor?
Whats hasler done in his time at the dogs?
Made the semis and chocked in 2 grand finals?
He has a team with no salary cap and still hasnt won the big one with them.
He won one with manly... went to the dogs and hasnt won the big one.
Any coach... even mary... would do well with the team hasler has. Reps all over the field...
I know some on here will say "well thats better then losing every week"... true... but who remembers who came 3rd 4th or 5th 3 years ago?
If he goes to the dogs he will go for the TPAs that will make him a very well paid young man.

BennyV

Referee
Whats hasler done in his time at the dogs?
Made the semis and chocked in 2 grand finals?
He has a team with no salary cap and still hasnt won the big one with them.
He won one with manly... went to the dogs and hasnt won the big one.
Any coach... even mary... would do well with the team hasler has. Reps all over the field...
I know some on here will say "well thats better then losing every week"... true... but who remembers who came 3rd 4th or 5th 3 years ago?
If he goes to the dogs he will go for the TPAs that will make him a very well paid young man.
2 premierships with Manly, plus an additional grand final. Minor premiership in his first year at a new club, after they missed the 8 the year before. Grand finals in 50% of his years at the Dogs.

Yeah, Hasler sucks, hasnt achieved anything.
Like those who claim that Bennett is shit because he only made the prelim final with a shit Newcastle squad.

Sigurd

Juniors
2 premierships with Manly, plus an additional grand final. Minor premiership in his first year at a new club, after they missed the 8 the year before. Grand finals in 50% of his years at the Dogs.

Like those who claim that Bennett is shit because he only made the prelim final with a shit Newcastle squad.

The squad he had a Newcastle in the second year was very good. Beau Scott, Jeremy Smith, Buderus, Mason (when he was still ok) Gidley, (when he was still ok) Gagai, Uate, Boyd. They were always going to fall off a cliff due to the age of the squad. It just happened one year sooner than Bennett anticipated.

The Doc

Juniors

Yeah hasler does suck... u sing his praises like he is a mesiah.
Mary macgregor could take those bulldogs teams to a grand final.
The last 5 years he hasnt done shit. Give any coach in the NRL the bulldogs squad and watch every coach look like a super coach.
And... how many of the current bulldogs squad are actually bulldogs juniors?
Everyone is entitled to there opinion, my opinion is hasler is a good coach but isnt that good of a coach. Any coach could look like a super coach with the squads hasler has had the last 5 years.