What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Kerr

Old Timer

Coach
The Doc
Often the terminology people use is the basic cause of people's angst or differences.

For mine there is no such thing as a "Super Coach" there are just coaches.

I rate them as < average, average, good and very good.

I rate them as to what they can get out of their roster which at times will vary enormously, the way they develop their juniors, the way they play the game, where they finish on the ladder, their pulling power to get the the type of player they need to give them the best shot at the title and last but not least their ability to make tough decisions re selections..

Hasler by all accounts has been very good with only Bennett and Bellamy really ahead of him and that is simply because they have actually won more GF's and TBH Bennett's star is dimming now.

Hasler is not flashy, not effusive, not talkative and not everybody's cup of tea but his stats indicate he will never have a problem getting a job coaching and would be sought after by all clubs.

If Hasler had coached us this year we would be top 6 if not better because he would have made the hard decisions very early.

GeeJay 2

Juniors
Why sign a young 20s prop from Victoria.

Gents back to our young props. We have Matt Jurd (2014- NSW origin, NSW school boys) 2015 NSW 20s origin pathways, come through SG ball and two years of 20s. For our mighty dragons.

We have Blake Lawrie with similar pedigree and playing history NSW schoolboys origin etc..

Matt & Blake have steamrolled the dragons 20s into the top 4 including 12 wins plus 1 bye on the run.

Reward these men who are our young dragons. ??? Not done.

Victoria? Dragons are sitting 5th and have been 3rd for some time. Built on the back of Jurd 6"3 110kg and Blake Lawrie the same.

Melbourne 20s are 12th???

mobels

Juniors

Gents back to our young props. We have Matt Jurd (2014- NSW origin, NSW school boys) 2015 NSW 20s origin pathways, come through SG ball and two years of 20s. For our mighty dragons.

We have Blake Lawrie with similar pedigree and playing history NSW schoolboys origin etc..

Matt & Blake have steamrolled the dragons 20s into the top 4 including 12 wins plus 1 bye on the run.

Victoria? Dragons are sitting 5th and have been 3rd for some time. Built on the back of Jurd 6"3 110kg and Blake Lawrie the same.

We've been rewarding our 20's players by numerous guys getting promotions or chances in higher grades (Sele, Host, Luciano, Dufty, Leilua). Lawrie and Jurd will most likely be in the clubs plans going forward if the talent scouts see something in them.

However I can't see how Kerr's signing can be seen as a negative when he's a mountain of a man and has quite a bit of versatility in positions. No idea if Kerr is seen as a straight to first grade player by the club, but i'm see his signing as the 'clubs' project player developing quite a bit in NSW Cup.

GeeJay 2

Juniors
We've been rewarding our 20's players by numerous guys getting promotions or chances in higher grades (Sele, Host, Luciano, Dufty, Leilua). Lawrie and Jurd will most likely be in the clubs plans going forward if the talent scouts see something in them.

However I can't see how Kerr's signing can be seen as a negative when he's a mountain of a man and has quite a bit of versatility in positions. No idea if Kerr is seen as a straight to first grade player by the club, but i'm see his signing as the 'clubs' project player developing quite a bit in NSW Cup.
Try telling that to our young props who have carried the 20s into a final contender place - and not being looked at. He takes a place that now will not be offered to our current 20s dragon prop register. We are killing it in the 20s. Look after them first. Victoria later. IMO.

The Doc

Juniors
All valid points... but sometimes a big boy with potential from another club becomes available so you take a punt.
Not saying its a master stroke or anything, but a player his size with his versatility (im guessing he must have some skills to be that versatile) at the price he would'v cost isnt really a big gamble.
Im sure after host and Leilua alot more of juniors will be given a chance... or at least they should start getting chances.

GeeJay 2

Juniors
All valid points... but sometimes a big boy with potential from another club becomes available so you take a punt.
Not saying its a master stroke or anything, but a player his size with his versatility (im guessing he must have some skills to be that versatile) at the price he would'v cost isnt really a big - j gamble.
Im sure after host and Leilua alot more of juniors will be given a chance... or at least they should start getting chances.
Doc - I agree with taking a punt on a big body to see what it may bring for us.

Our current props in the 20s in Jurd and Lawrie are sore and bruised for days after each game. They have much the same game if we win by 20 or lose by 20. Hard, physical and punishing.

They have proved their commitment and worth. Results speak for themselves. Lets take a punt on them, if we are prepared to do it for unproven others.

Was at the game last night. Happiness returned. Great game to watch.

He isn't from Victoria for a start he's from Redcliffe and a under 20's Qld rep aswell.

I have no idea what the hell your on about they are signing a young guy with some potential and you are having a whinge that young guys aren't getting a go when both Jurd and Lawrie have plenty of time on their hands and Lawrie has already had a taste of NSW Cup.

I see you joined today and you post what you did thats very lol.

The Doc

Juniors
Doc - I agree with taking a punt on a big body to see what it may bring for us.

Our current props in the 20s in Jurd and Lawrie are sore and bruised for days after each game. They have much the same game if we win by 20 or lose by 20. Hard, physical and punishing.

They have proved their commitment and worth. Results speak for themselves. Lets take a punt on them, if we are prepared to do it for unproven others.

Was at the game last night. Happiness returned. Great game to watch.
I cant really comment on them 2 as i havnt really seen them in action.
I'll have to take ur word on them.
Maybe the club sees them as being a year or 2 away from being ready for first grade?
Im not saying that is the case for sure but it may be why.
If thats the case then it cant be a bad thing... as we will elimate some older forwards and bring in more youngsters that are juniors.
Would love to see my great team go back to the days where our juniors fill our squad!!!
Hopefully host and Leilua and aitkens are the start of those days returning.

Last edited:

The Doc

Juniors
He isn't from Victoria for a start he's from Redcliffe and a under 20's Qld rep aswell.

I have no idea what the hell your on about they are signing a young guy with some potential and you are having a whinge that young guys aren't getting a go when both Jurd and Lawrie have plenty of time on their hands and Lawrie has already had a taste of NSW Cup.

Not really. He can post as he likes. He doesnt have to join and only post what pleases others.
He has his opinion, which i dont fully agree with, but he is entittled to his opinion.
He hasnt insulted anyone, just given his opinion.
The fact you find someone elses opinion as lol is a LOL on u to be honest.
Whether kerr is from victoria or qld or from zimbabwe... his point is he isnt a dragons junior.
If he has watched the 20s and sees some of our juniors as having potential then good on him.

Old Timer

Coach

It doesn't matter where the kid comes from nor does it matter how many posts GeeJay 2 has his point is valid.

We have actually signed a U/20's player from another club and the question is should we have recruited internally first?

If this signing resulted in a proven performer from our U/20's leaving then you have to question the worth of the signing.

Obviously Kerr will get the nod over somebody else already within our club
and if Kerr turns out to be a fizzer everyone will be back on the hurdy gurdy going around in circles saying exactly what GeeJay 2 posted.

Its so funny people kept carrying on that the club relied on juniors to much now its they are over looking them.

Thats such bullshit its amazing. Lawire has trained with first grade throughout the pre season and throughout the year and has played in the NSW Cup so he is being considered for the future.

Jurd has barely played in the under 20's and is still developing but also is held in high regard and will get his chance in the future.

How would you know Kerr will get the nod over an other player Old Timer can you see into the future or your just assuming which seems about right coming from you.

The Doc did i insult anyone no i didn't yet you had to pipe in like the white knight of the forum. If i wanted your opinion i would rattle your cage for it.

The Doc

Juniors
I copped the same thing last week when i joined.
The guy has his opinion, if you dont agree, state your case, dont jump in and tell him as a new comer his post is LOL.
Alot of what you say is utter rubbish, but its your opinion. When i dont agree i just scroll along.
If i do comment ill simply state what my opinion is. Not do a LOL at your opinion.

The Doc

Juniors
Annoying merkin? Lol wow why didnt i see that coming.
Iv noticed alot of people also DONT agree with alot you say...
But skip that part ay? Lol u come across as a "mary" type person... only see what you want to see.
Anyways... good day to you sir

GeeJay 2

Juniors
Annoying merkin? Lol wow why didnt i see that coming.
Iv noticed alot of people also DONT agree with alot you say...
But skip that part ay? Lol u come across as a "mary" type person... only see what you want to see.
Anyways... good day to you sir
Thanks Doc for the support. Coast cheers for the comments. Was a member of the forum before but after upgrade could not use login. So like you - I you love my dragons and like the culture it brings to our club when we play our own talent ... When we can.

Old Timer

Coach
Its so funny people kept carrying on that the club relied on juniors to much now its they are over looking them.

Thats such bullshit its amazing. Lawire has trained with first grade throughout the pre season and throughout the year and has played in the NSW Cup so he is being considered for the future.

Jurd has barely played in the under 20's and is still developing but also is held in high regard and will get his chance in the future.

How would you know Kerr will get the nod over an other player Old Timer can you see into the future or your just assuming which seems about right coming from you.

The Doc did i insult anyone no i didn't yet you had to pipe in like the white knight of the forum. If i wanted your opinion i would rattle your cage for it.
If you are paying money and giving a 3 year contract for the kid to come do you think he is going to play park football?

Of course they are going to play him you don't have to see into the future to understand that.

The other side of the coin which seems to elude you is if you are a player already at a club and yet to get a contract and you see the club give a 3 year contract to a young yet to be proven player you would have to ask yourself is it worthwhile to stay here or if I get even a half reasonable offer from outside should I go.

You sprout on about Jurd and his chance will come in the future well next year is the future and he is looking for his chance right now.

We have a diabolical situation around 9 & 7 so we buy an 8 or 10 priceless.

GeeJay 2

Juniors
If you are paying money and giving a 3 year contract for the kid to come do you think he is going to play park football?

Of course they are going to play him you don't have to see into the future to understand that.

The other side of the coin which seems to elude you is if you are a player already at a club and yet to get a contract and you see the club give a 3 year contract to a young yet to be proven player you would have to ask yourself is it worthwhile to stay here or if I get even a half reasonable offer from outside should I go.

You sprout on about Jurd and his chance will come in the future well next year is the future and he is looking for his chance right now.

We have a diabolical situation around 9 & 7 so we buy an 8 or 10 priceless.
This summary is spot on. These young props are all the same age. The young guys we have and the one we've just brought. Appreciate your thoughts.

The Doc

Juniors

Just to clarify... the 2 you mentiomed from our 20s are 186cm 106kg and 185cm 103kg...
Thats not in the same size bracket as Kerr. Kerr is 198cm 115kgs... thats a big 20 year old.
They may have potential but going by those stats they definitely dont have the size to compete with Kerr.

GeeJay 2

Juniors
Just to clarify... the 2 you mentiomed from our 20s are 186cm 106kg and 185cm 103kg...
Thats not in the same size bracket as Kerr. Kerr is 198cm 115kgs... thats a big 20 year old.
They may have potential but going by those stats they definitely dont have the size to compete with Kerr.
Yes I agree that's a big young prop. Dimensions aside (though they are still sizeable young dragons) my main point comes back to this: if our own young players are performing better and have achieved a higher win rate in the 20s this year - which cannot happen without a dominate front row - then look first at those men we have within. That's all. Melbourne will not make the eight.

Will check stats closer from hence.

Latest posts