What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh McGuire

Gareth67

First Grade
All true but I think he’s been unlucky in some of the suspensions with players falling into him at times.
Unfortunately the carry over points are the issues which applies to all players.
Maybe cases should be judged on their merits by abolishing carry over points.
I don’t think he’s the type of player who’ll go into his shell so we can expect him to play his natural game.

Totally agree - wipe the points system . The trouble is nowadays that the judiciary has moved into the so called ‘ modern ‘ era and therefore they have updated their penalty system by having previous incidents attached to the bottom of the charge sheet .

As you have said blacksafake , judge the player on the incident itself and not on previous offenses . As much as one would say the judiciary do that now - judging on the current incident - they are only human and as such a chap like McGuire comes along and they have all but made their minds up as to the severity of his suspension.

Yet you could get a player such as JWH who continually runs into the opposition with his forearm held high and makes more appearances at the judiciary than McGuire has teeth in his mouth , yet gets off with a fine . Sounds like JWH is the epitome of a true serial offender .

Last edited:

Como Connection

First Grade
Totally agree - wipe the points system . The trouble is nowadays that the judiciary has moved into the so called ‘ modern ‘ era and therefore they have updated their penalty system by having previous incidents attached to the bottom of the charge sheet .

As you have said blacksafake , judge the player on the incident itself and not on previous offenses . As much as one would say the judiciary do that now - judging on the current incident - they are only human and as such a chap like McGuire comes along and they have all but made their minds up as to the severity of his suspension.

Yet you could get a player such as JWH who continually runs into the opposition with his forearm held high and makes more appearances at the judiciary than McGuire has teeth , yet gets off with a fine . Sounds like that bloke is the epitome of a serial offender .
Very good post, agree 100%.
CC

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Very good post, agree 100%.
CC
The carry over points system was introduced to punish repeat offenders. Unfortunately these days, players are put on report and charged much more often than they were. This has led to the carry over points building up and accumulating more quickly than was originally planned. They still want repeat offenders punished more than a one off offender, so I think the percentage loading on previous offences should be reduced so players aren't being suspended for 5 weeks for relatively minor offences.

Como Connection

First Grade
The carry over points system was introduced to punish repeat offenders. Unfortunately these days, players are put on report and charged much more often than they were. This has led to the carry over points building up and accumulating more quickly than was originally planned. They still want repeat offenders punished more than a one off offender, so I think the percentage loading on previous offences should be reduced so players aren't being suspended for 5 weeks for relatively minor offences.
Very unfair system but it seems to suit the rich clubs.
CC

hewi

Bench
Why should any player be affected by carry over points when he is charged for a ridiculous careless high shot that was the result of the tackled player falling as he came in. The game happens at high speed you have to accept that unfortunately there is such a thing as bad luck.

blacksafake

First Grade
Why should any player be affected by carry over points when he is charged for a ridiculous careless high shot that was the result of the tackled player falling as he came in. The game happens at high speed you have to accept that unfortunately there is such a thing as bad luck.
Exactly.
Even at times you can see the refs saying to the player that they understand but because it’s high it needs to go on report.
If they’re not going to scrap the points system at least don’t punish them for appealing & losing by adding on an extra week.
This way most would appeal which would have the judiciary going every week until all hours if the night which the nrl wouldn’t be happy about.

justadragon

Bench
Just thought I'd give moose a bit of a wrap over his couple of games since he has back. Personally I think he has been just as responsible as Hunt in getting us back on track, he seems to be taking up a leadership role in the pack. He has had a tremendous couple of games since his return, straightened the attack up, tackles hard and runs hard. If this sort of form continues I wouldnt mind seeing the Dragons give him another 12 months. I know I have bagged him for his stupidity at times and grubbiness but from what I have seen lately I cant fault him . Good on him for turning things around and I sincerely wish him all the best for the rest of the season.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes his has been very strong in his role as leader of the pack - the type of player that the Dragon forward pack has needed for quite some time .

It was wonderful to see them get over the top of the rorter’s pack on Monday and that was something that those ‘latte-sippers never anticipated.

justadragon

Bench
I think with the impending loss of Sims we really cant afford to let this guy go until we blood some sort of enforcer from our younger brigade if we have one. If you look at what we have in ressies, Alvaro Kerr Poasa , I dont think these geys can fill that role, the only ones maybe that may do it would be J Hunt and young Molo, if he can start doing it like his brother is now, who has also made a difference, it would be great, but until we see something then moose is it.

Dragon David

First Grade
Moose and Molo both played for the Cowboys. They have learnt how to run and tackle hard. That try by Molo set us up to win the game against the Roosters as all of our players lifted after he scored it. Moose has great darts and is quite quick for a big fella. We need him for at least a couple of years more. If he doesn't get injured and/or suspended and plays most games, it is possible that we can win many more games. Our winning again started with Moose coming back from suspension I think. Yes, he was suspended for 5 rounds and then returned to play Newcastle and the Roosters.

Como Connection

First Grade
Moose and Molo both played for the Cowboys. They have learnt how to run and tackle hard. That try by Molo set us up to win the game against the Roosters as all of our players lifted after he scored it. Moose has great darts and is quite quick for a big fella. We need him for at least a couple of years more. If he doesn't get injured and/or suspended and plays most games, it is possible that we can win many more games. Our winning again started with Moose coming back from suspension I think. Yes, he was suspended for 5 rounds and then returned to play Newcastle and the Roosters.
Plus won all the trial games.
CC

justadragon

Bench
I'm hoping that Fui will come back the same way as moose, he has tried in ressies but sunday will be a different story. I was also surprised when there were a few scuffles in the knights/roosters games moose was there trying to break things up. Also what I like about him is he calls a spade a spade and he wears his heart on his sleeve, we will desperately need him to keep going and lead the pack on sunday.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm hoping that Fui will come back the same way as moose, he has tried in ressies but sunday will be a different story. I was also surprised when there were a few scuffles in the knights/roosters games moose was there trying to break things up. Also what I like about him is he calls a spade a spade and he wears his heart on his sleeve, we will desperately need him to keep going and lead the pack on sunday.
He will I am sure of it.

Old Timer

Coach
Moose Fui Sua ...gives us plenty of sting in defence
Moose a priority to resign for 23
" Players love playing with him---hate playing against him "
The "sting" in defence is exactly how we ended up with Moose & Fui on the sideline repeated times.

The big shot only leads to greater problems as we are heavily scrutinised and always will be.

If Fui wants to be a 1st grader (I'm not sure he is) best he develop his attacking skills and give the opposition "headaches" that way rather than trying to rattle them with bone jarring hits that go wrong.

Dragon David

First Grade
The "sting" in defence is exactly how we ended up with Moose & Fui on the sideline repeated times.

The big shot only leads to greater problems as we are heavily scrutinised and always will be.

If Fui wants to be a 1st grader (I'm not sure he is) best he develop his attacking skills and give the opposition "headaches" that way rather than trying to rattle them with bone jarring hits that go wrong.
Yes, Fui in particular has got to change his tackling technique and improve his attacking skills.

Fui will be "ahh phooey not again" if his tackles are not legitimate and ends up with a further long suspension.

Latest posts