What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JRo

ozbash

Referee
Centre Jerome Ropati credits being dropped by the New Zealand Warriors for giving him a "new lease of life" in the National Rugby League (NRL).
The visit of the high-flying Bulldogs tomorrow will be Ropati's second appearance for the Warriors after his return to first-grade.
Rather than being disappointed over a two-week spell on the sidelines following a patch of poor form, he saw the demotion as positive.
"It was a good time to rest and clear my head a bit," he said.
"I had been putting a lot of pressure on myself and I was able to reassess things, concentrate on training and just support the guys on the field."
The World Cup-winning Kiwi made his comeback to the NRL in the 28-14 away defeat to Brisbane and marked the occasion by providing a bone-jarring moment.
He produced a huge shoulder charge on prop Joel Clinton, who was knocked unconscious as the pair clashed heads.
"I remember he focused his eyes on me and ran straight to me and I thought, I'm either going to try to launch myself at him to stop him, or I'm going to get bowled over," Ropati said.
"The collision surprised me a bit. I'm fortunate to come away unscathed other than a bit of a shoulder injury. It just happened the way it did."
Ropati said the mood within the Warriors remained upbeat, even though two successive defeats in Queensland have left their playoff hopes hanging on a thread.
With nine rounds to go, the Auckland-based club have dropped to 12th on the ladder, five points outside the top eight and with no byes left.
They had their moments against the Broncos, especially in the first quarter, when they played mistake-free football to dominate field position and lead 8-0.
"We took a lot of confidence out of that," Ropati said.
"We just didn't get a lot of ball in the second half and we fell away in a few areas, but those areas can be fixed."
The Warriors will be without inspirational skipper Steve Price, who is in State of Origin camp with Queensland. Price scored both their tries against Brisbane and also carried the ball for a game-high 221m.
However, the Bulldogs, who are second in the competition, have had to plug even more holes in the line-up.
Among a host of frontline personnel unavailable are halfback Brett Kimmorley, hooker Michael Ennis and centre Josh Morris, who are on New South Wales Origin duty, and suspended Kiwi forward Greg Eastwood.
The replacements called up include former Kiwi winger Matt Utai, who has been slotted in at centre to mark Ropati.
"They're losing a lot of key players but they've replaced quality players with quality players," Ropati said.
"They're at the top of the table and that's the way we need to approach it."
The stormy conditions predicted to hit Auckland this weekend means wet weather can be expected at Mt Smart Stadium for the third match in row.
However, that could be a good omen for the Warriors.
They have won their last two fixtures at home – 14-0 and 13-0 shutouts against the West Tigers and Newcastle – both of which were played out in the rain.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/2585555/Ropati-feels-new-lease-of-life-after-spell-on-sideline

Meth

Staff member
He has been utterly terrible this season and he hasn't redeemed himself yet. Great hit on Clinton, but so what?

Everybody wants to see him do well; we desperately need him to. But I am still unconvinced

I think he is a really capable player that has improved each season, but has taken few opportunities this year. Centre combinations have been quite average despite seeing little quality ball. I struggle to recall the centres running freely much in '09 or regular linebreaks.

Least points in the NRL this season: NZ Warriors'

Micistm

Bench
Yep, I'm a Jro fan and defo want him to fire and fire soon. He has been disappointing this year like the vast majority of the team.
And that's a good attitude, to take the dropping and come back fired up. It worked for Wiki last year and hopefully we will see a Jro in form tomorrow.
The fact of the matter is a big chunk of the team needed dropping as well to give them the message their place is not guaranteed; a few of them stil look to be just going through the motions. Maybe unfair-I'm sure they want to win more than we want to see them win-But something is holding them back. Gotta be hard to not fire week after week, has to shatter the confidence

Rich102

Staff member
Centre Jerome Ropati credits being dropped by the New Zealand Warriors for giving him a "new lease of life" in the National Rugby League (NRL).
The visit of the high-flying Bulldogs tomorrow will be Ropati's second appearance for the Warriors after his return to first-grade.
Rather than being disappointed over a two-week spell on the sidelines following a patch of poor form, he saw the demotion as positive.
"It was a good time to rest and clear my head a bit," he said.
"I had been putting a lot of pressure on myself and I was able to reassess things, concentrate on training and just support the guys on the field."
The World Cup-winning Kiwi made his comeback to the NRL in the 28-14 away defeat to Brisbane and marked the occasion by providing a bone-jarring moment.
He produced a huge shoulder charge on prop Joel Clinton, who was knocked unconscious as the pair clashed heads.
"I remember he focused his eyes on me and ran straight to me and I thought, I'm either going to try to launch myself at him to stop him, or I'm going to get bowled over," Ropati said.
"The collision surprised me a bit. I'm fortunate to come away unscathed other than a bit of a shoulder injury. It just happened the way it did."
Ropati said the mood within the Warriors remained upbeat, even though two successive defeats in Queensland have left their playoff hopes hanging on a thread.
With nine rounds to go, the Auckland-based club have dropped to 12th on the ladder, five points outside the top eight and with no byes left.
They had their moments against the Broncos, especially in the first quarter, when they played mistake-free football to dominate field position and lead 8-0.
"We took a lot of confidence out of that," Ropati said.
"We just didn't get a lot of ball in the second half and we fell away in a few areas, but those areas can be fixed."
The Warriors will be without inspirational skipper Steve Price, who is in State of Origin camp with Queensland. Price scored both their tries against Brisbane and also carried the ball for a game-high 221m.
However, the Bulldogs, who are second in the competition, have had to plug even more holes in the line-up.
Among a host of frontline personnel unavailable are halfback Brett Kimmorley, hooker Michael Ennis and centre Josh Morris, who are on New South Wales Origin duty, and suspended Kiwi forward Greg Eastwood.
The replacements called up include former Kiwi winger Matt Utai, who has been slotted in at centre to mark Ropati.
"They're losing a lot of key players but they've replaced quality players with quality players," Ropati said.
"They're at the top of the table and that's the way we need to approach it."
The stormy conditions predicted to hit Auckland this weekend means wet weather can be expected at Mt Smart Stadium for the third match in row.
However, that could be a good omen for the Warriors.
They have won their last two fixtures at home – 14-0 and 13-0 shutouts against the West Tigers and Newcastle – both of which were played out in the rain.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/2585555/Ropati-feels-new-lease-of-life-after-spell-on-sideline

Absolute claptrap!

Meth

Staff member
71 minutes in and Ropati has been disgraceful tonight, really.

ozbash

Referee
Bad game from JRo, no doubt.

Seemed to be favouring his 'hitting' shoulder still.

Run would have done him good.

WarriorDog

Juniors
His defence is just non existent. Cleary did well to pull him off...I cant believe the defensive errors he CONTINUALLY makes...2 weeks to think about it, but still same old same old useless defence.

MKEB...

Staff member
His defence is just non existent. Cleary did well to pull him off...

Geez, I only ever got an orange. :sarcasm:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It just isn't getting any better with Jerome. The way that Moon is going at centre and Tatey hopefully coming back next year, he might be in some trouble. I'm liking Moon in the centres - solid.

BigJ

Juniors
Its ironic, most people usually get better in their prime. Hes going in the opposite direction. Wonder if its the Ropati gene pool....:sarcasm:

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I'm normally the first to put the boot into Ropati. But I'm gonna blame his current form on Ivan Cleary.

Cleary should have had the foresight and management quality to give both Mannering & Ropati a rest at the start of the season. 3-4 weeks would have been sufficient. Both players have played a helluva lot of football and desperately need a break.

Now Ivan has Ropati playing injured. Surely we have back up at centre, SURELY!!!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm normally the first to put the boot into Ropati. But I'm gonna blame his current form on Ivan Cleary.

Cleary should have had the foresight and management quality to give both Mannering & Ropati a rest at the start of the season. 3-4 weeks would have been sufficient. Both players have played a helluva lot of football and desperately need a break.

Now Ivan has Ropati playing injured. Surely we have back up at centre, SURELY!!!

Couldn't agree with this less. Resting two of your key players at the start of a big year, as this one was billed to be? No way. If he'd done that, the criticism would have been deafening.

Rich102

Staff member
The football season is how long? March to October? And they only play one game a week.
Harden up!

Meth

Staff member

Well, not strikingly

Mannering plugs a gap, but offers little. He was great with the ball yesterday, but that was the first time in a while.

Ah Van, Kirk and Kemp are hardly banging down the door for a centre berth.

Tate is injured.

Likiliki and Bristaw are young.

The Vulcans aren't that strong in the centres

Latest posts