What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judic - *Johns fights Grading*

fish eel

Immortal
Just on the Chief though, he really looks punch drunk like he has been knocked in the head to much the way he carries on.

I remember going to one of his last games, may have even been his last. At Penrith, he took a knock to the head and lost the plot, got up swinging at air!!!

The Colonel

Immortal
Three-minute spray, gobfuls of abuse - what the tribunal did not see

Roy Masters
August 17, 2006

WHAT did the NRL match review committee see that last night's Andrew Johns judiciary hearing did not?

Surely, when the committee - consisting of an ex-international referee, a retired NRL coach and a past Australian player - decided to charge the Newcastle halfback with a possible four-week offence, it saw more than the tribunal of former footballers who discounted it by half.

The answer lies in the over-confidence of the committee to charge Johns with only a portion of his tirade against touch judge Matt Cecchin and referee Paul Simpkins.

Because the vision of Johns saying "f- - - you, c- - -" to Cecchin was so definitive, the committee, led by former top referee Greg McCallum, decided to proceed with this part of the tirade and not the rest. The tribunal was shown only four camera angles and did not see an outburst by Johns against Cecchin and Simpkins when they walked from the field with their microphones off, nor did it witness Johns spitting.

When NRL operations manager Graham Annesley called Channel Nine sports boss Steve Crawley on Monday morning for additional footage of the incident, the committee was probably of a mind to charge Johns with only a grade-two contrary-conduct offence.

After all, like everyone else in rugby league land, its members had probably seen vision during the weekend of Johns abusing Cecchin for failing to rule Manly's Steve Matai had played at the ball at a critical time in a tense match. But Annesley specifically asked Crawley if Nine had an ENG camera angle of the incident.

Crawley was obliged to provide it under the rights' holder agreement with the NRL, even though he probably preferred to protect his prize product, Johns, who is under contract to Nine.

The portable ENG camera vision was not part of the broadcast of the match. It is essentially news camera footage and was not supplied to the broadcast van. It told a different story from what fans had seen in last Friday night's broadcast.

Johns's Cecchin spray lasted three minutes and was punctuated with him looking downward and spitting on the ground. Because players often do this to clear their mouths, it could not be assumed he was spitting in the direction of the touch judge.

When it comes to "Great Expectorations" in the history of the game, Joey's liquid lob was not in the same league as Wally Lewis's golly on the Gold Coast 15 years ago. Nor did Johns's later barrage clearly identify what he said, although some believe he used words which rhyme with "yucking fog."

Although the audio evidence of Johns mouthing a belligerent "f- - - you, c- - -" was not apparently clear, the ENG film makes it easy for anyone enrolled in Lip Reading 101 to know what he said.

Anyway, the committee, which included former Norths coach Peter Louis and Roosters' international centre Mark Harris, must have been incensed by what it saw on the ENG angle to lay a grade-three charge but clearly too reliant on only a small section of the outburst to sustain it.

So the case of Joey being put down by footage of his mouth was only half done. A judiciary panel of ex-players was, therefore, asked to act only on two words they had heard a thousand times on the field.

The final judgement won't stop swearing in sport, not even in the direction of officials. Cursing can be therapeutic, as anyone who has hit their thumb with a hammer knows, an observation made by Mark Twain.

Some go further, such as John Singleton, whose Hunter Valley Blue Tongue brewery is a significant sponsor of the Knights.

"Anyone who doesn't say f- - - and c- - -, shouldn't be allowed to play rugby league," he observed.

Singo, whose larrikin streak identifies with Johns as much as his business sense recognises an opportunity in a thirsty city that loves a conspiracy theory, says: "No one wants Newcastle to win because they don't have a power base. They are not owned by News Ltd and are not in Sydney."

Before the hearing, Singo said: "The best player in the world is being sacrificed for the worst linesman in the world."

But Cecchin is nicknamed "The Rebel" by his fellow referees because of the similarity of his surname to the breakaway movement fighting the Russians. Maybe the "Rebel" and Joey have more in common than they think.

Quite interesting..... and none to surprising that Nein would want to protect their investment.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/w...1155407885883.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
Just on the Chief though, he really looks punch drunk like he has been knocked in the head to much the way he carries on.

I remember going to one of his last games, may have even been his last. At Penrith, he took a knock to the head and lost the plot, got up swinging at air!!!

I'm not sure there has been much going on in the head of Lloyd Christmas for a long time before that but you probably aren't far from the truth given that migraines almost drove him from the game at one stage. I like the bloke as a plyer and really enjoyed his book but as a tv presenter I'd almost rather watch David Kochhead....

Nickeel

Juniors
The Colonel said:
I'm not sure there has been much going on in the head of Lloyd Christmas for a long time before that but you probably aren't far from the truth given that migraines almost drove him from the game at one stage. I like the bloke as a plyer and really enjoyed his book but as a tv presenter I'd almost rather watch David Kochhead....

I seem to remember as a kid when Newcastle were still chasing that elusive first premiership that I thought Harragon was quite well-spoken for a league player. What happened? He is a gibberer now!

The moment That's Gold is dropped as a segment on that show he is out of a job.

Nick

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:

I almost feel sorry for him.....

Stagger eel

Staff member
Nickeel said:
The moment That's Gold is dropped as a segment on that show he is out of a job.

Nick

yeah, it took some brains to think of that, channel 9 marketing department really put the less is more approach to work, when they figured that out.

strider

Post Whore
i remember an episode of the footy show yrs ago where they had these real boxers on and each of the hosts sparred with them a little ... no one took it seriously and it was hitting but soft

BUT THEN stoopid chief gets in the ring and decides to have a bit of a go cos he doesn't want to look weak .... anyway the guy against him goes, hmmm ok you gonna try and belt me i'll fight back - and he smacked chief and damn near knocked him stupid (not that he wasn't already stupid) - it was funny, sad and dumb all at the same time

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
Chief.

He has an excuse for being a tosser....being punchdrunk.

Koch doesnt

Thats why I saild I'd almsot rather watch Koch instead of Harragon. I'd probably be more inclined to lock in option (c) none of the above. Can't say I've watched the Footy Show for about two years outside of a few episodes where I've known ahead of time the Eels will be on.

Stagger eel

Staff member
NorthShoreEel said:
Couldnt Joey bring an expert on spitting, like Shane Dunley, and explain that it was a medical condition?
:sarcasm:

that wouldn't work, becaue we know that joey has Turet [sp] syndrome.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Hellsy said:
:lol: :lol: True!
Still I don't blame Matty for sticking up for his brother, I'd do the same for Jess, no matter how wrong or right she was...... but when everyone else gets in on it it sickens me

:oops:

strider

Post Whore
Hellsy said:
Still I don't blame Matty for sticking up for his brother, I'd do the same for Jess, no matter how wrong or right she was...... but when everyone else gets in on it it sickens me

:lol: :lol:

so taking this a step further ... when u monumentally stuff up Jess, Hellsy will defend you but the rest of us need to hang you out to dry cos otherwise it would be sickening if we defended you ..... there I think I got that right :lol:

Latest posts