What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judic - *Johns fights Grading*

The Colonel

Immortal
Maybe it is. But then he only has himself to blame. The NRL have to draw a line somewhere as it is getting completely out of hand. His defence in the paper was laughable and I'm not sure they'll get it downgraded on the footage that was on NRL Scoreboard - he apparently points at Checcin. Only saw the tail end of it.

Hopoate got 8 weeks for abusing and threatening a touchy. Three weeks in this case is about right using that as a gauge

Parraren

Bench
Not wanting to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I think the charge has little to do with what happended on the field and EVERYTHING to do with what happened the day after in the newspaper column written by Andrew "sook" Johns.

IMO, if he copped it on the chin & shut his trap he would have got off with a fine only. Instead he takes the golden child approach in his newspaper column, sticks it up the referee's and the NRL and subsequently got what he deserved.

Suitman

Post Whore
As they pointed out tonight on NRL Scoreboard,

-two contentious play the ball decisions went against Willie Mason yesterday, and both times he got up and walked away.
-Does everyone remember THAT forward pass several weeks back that won Newcastle a game?? It was a shocker, but we didn't hear Joey blowing up about that crap decision.
Bottom line - you take the good with the bad and it all evens itself out in the end.

BTW, I challenge anyone on this board to confirm, that when they were growing up, it was condoned that anytime, anywhere, and for any given reason, it was ok to call someone, anyone, a f**king c***.

Suity

CrazyEel

Bench
"The Newcastle Knights have requested a copy of the footage from the NRL's match review committee and have until midday tomorrow to decide if any further action will be taken," a Knights statement said.

But the club may find itself as shocked as match review committee chairman Greg McCallum who, when it was suggested that some might find the grade three charge harsh, responded: "Probably most people haven't seen the video."

McCallum said Johns' column in the Sunday Telegraph, in which he said he would not apologise for the incident, was not considered as evidence.

He said the game's image had been considered by the committee, which graded Johns' charge lower than those handed out to Melbourne's Scott Hill and Parramatta's Jeremy Smith for manhandling referees earlier this season.

"I think that the response to that's reflected in the charge, the fact that a player's been charged at that level I think it's reasonable to suggest that that's been taken into account," McCallum said.

Johns' charge arose out of a 79th minute incident during Friday's 16-14 loss in which he is alleged to have called Cechin a "f...ing c..t".

source http://www.nrl.com.au/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/2502/Default.aspx

The Colonel

Immortal
Suitman said:
BTW, I challenge anyone on this board to confirm, that when they were growing up, it was condoned that anytime, anywhere, and for any given reason, it was ok to call someone, anyone, a f**king c***.

Suity

I'd have been made eat half a bar of soap I think

The Colonel

Immortal
We used to collect the little bits of soap in a stocking and when we had enough we'd use that before we got a new bar....

fish eel

Immortal
Eela is the soap dropper.

His problem was though, when he bends over to pick him up, he gets stepped on because ppl mistake him for a bull ant.

caylo

Bench
he got 3 weeks... i would have given him 10... the way he spoke the 1st time, i would have repremarned him hard. 2nd time, long suspention... or even rip up his contract. NO1 is above the game, johns, hindy, gasnier... no1. if he wants to act like a child treat him like 1. as juniors we are taught not to speak to refs... fullstop, as captain he has the right 2 approch the ref, that is it... if som1 said that 2 me id knock his lights out.

mickdo

Coach
fish eel said:

His problem was though, when he bends over to pick him up, he gets stepped on because ppl mistake him for a bull ant.
:lol: So very, very true :lol:

James_Hardie

Juniors
The Colonel said:
I'd have been made eat half a bar of soap I think

I don't think anyone has ever pulled Andrew Johns into line, and that would appear to be the problem. (Heaven help BS).

I asked the question on sunday when the Sunday roast guys kept using the excuse "in the heat of the moment". I looked at PAul Simpkins, who has to make heat of the moment decisions every 10 seconds in a match, he is sweating, breathing hard, people going off all around him... If he stood there and said "Andrew you know what you are, your a F'ing C...", he would have been sacked at 9:05am Monday morning.

I have a feling it will get knocked down to conveniently enough, two weeks and he will play the first semi. Hopefully 4 v 5 will be Eels v Knights at Parra. We (the crowd) can all bring kleenex's along and dangle them in the air for him...

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:

oooohhh!! my sides hurt...

and my back, head, stomach, legs..

Suitman said:

Suity

Hmmm, I dont recall dad smacking me over the head for saying something along those lines about Mr Greg Hartley many a time during the 80's! I still think the guy is a

The Colonel

Immortal
James_Hardie said:
I don't think anyone has ever pulled Andrew Johns into line, and that would appear to be the problem. (Heaven help BS).

I asked the question on sunday when the Sunday roast guys kept using the excuse "in the heat of the moment". I looked at PAul Simpkins, who has to make heat of the moment decisions every 10 seconds in a match, he is sweating, breathing hard, people going off all around him... If he stood there and said "Andrew you know what you are, your a F'ing C...", he would have been sacked at 9:05am Monday morning.

I have a feling it will get knocked down to conveniently enough, two weeks and he will play the first semi. Hopefully 4 v 5 will be Eels v Knights at Parra. We (the crowd) can all bring kleenex's along and dangle them in the air for him...

Spoiled star was a law unto himself

Greg Prichard
August 15, 2006

COMMENT
andrewjohns_narrowweb__300x429,0.jpg
Cat in a hat … man of words Andrew Johns leaves a Knights video session yesterday.
Photo: Kitty Hill

HOW did it come to this, the world's greatest player being charged with doing something so stupid it could ruin both his and Newcastle's season? The answer is simple.
Part of the reason is Johns's volatile personality on the field; the rest of it is the failure of the people in charge of the club to pull him into line when they should have. Had they done that, maybe what happened at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Friday night would not have. At the very least, it would have reduced the possibility.
Let's go back to when the Knights should have acted: the night of Saturday, July 8, at Parramatta Stadium. A presentation of the match ball to Johns was planned - with his knowledge - in anticipation of the halfback picking up the handful of points he needed to become the highest pointscorer in premiership history.
The Eels were happy for the presentation to go ahead, win, lose or draw - and at that stage of the season, they were looking like competition also-rans. Few expected Parramatta to win, but win they did, and at the end of the game, Johns, who had broken the record, stormed off, leaving Eels media manager Damian Kelly and coach Jason Taylor standing there looking awkward.
It was an awful display of petulance from Johns and one that should have resulted in immediate action by the Knights. Club chairman Michael Tyler, chief executive Ken Conway or anyone in authority should have taken Johns aside and encouraged him to return to the field for the presentation.
They should have demanded it of him if they had to. But no one did, of course, because no one at Newcastle tells Joey what to do. And that is part of the problem.
In any walk of life, when you do something wrong and you're not held accountable, you can end up becoming a law unto yourself. And then you run the risk of going too far.
Please, spare us the passion card when it comes to the defence of Johns. Paul Harragon, who captained Johns at the Knights and is now one of the club's board members, played it on The Sunday Footy Show.
Harragon said we should have empathy for Johns because of the competitor he is. Come on, Chief. We know Joey is a ferocious competitor, that he busts his backside for his team, that he absolutely despises losing. But that is no excuse for abusing match officials, whether they have made a mistake or not.
There are plenty of other players just as passionate who haven't fallen into the same trap. I didn't have a problem with Johns swearing in reaction to a critical decision that went against the Knights in a game against Melbourne recently, because he didn't direct his comments at anyone.
The fact that what he said could be heard on Sports Ears and television is the NRL's problem. If they want to use the technology, that's what they are going to get sometimes. But this case is different.
The match review committee certainly didn't miss Johns. Three or four games might be considered harsh. But if he hadn't gone off, he wouldn't be in trouble. It wasn't passionate. It was just plain dumb.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/spoiled-star-was-a-law-unto-himself/2006/08/14/1155407740233.html

Mr Prichard has hit the nail on the head I think.....

strider

Post Whore
gotta love that lady who jumped the fence and gave it to Hartley in the middle of a game once :lol: :lol: