What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judiciary Charges: Johns facing four weeks

Ziggy the God

First Grade

Inferno

Coach
Tommy Smith said:
3-4 weeks for swearing? LOL Im waiting for Ashton Kutcher to turn up and say "Punk'd" to Joey. This would have to be the biggest farce in the NRL's judicial history...even bgiger than the farcical suspensions handed out to the likes of Wiki, Morley and Woolford.
Actually it wasn't to do with swearing, most people accept swearing occurs on a football field and don't have a problem with it. He was suspended for abusing an official. 4 weeks is probably a little harsh though.
Btw is everyone sure that was the whole charge? Because im surprised the NRL didnt give naughty Joey a detention as well...oh and lets not forget writing lines on the board. "i must not swear".
Replace "swear" with abuse officials and I'd support that idea.
Honestly people, what is our great sport coming to? A teams season down the drain because a player expressed disbelief in the only way sports people know how to a little pissant of a touch judge. A touch judge who was almost certainly teased at school so now feels big and tough by yelling "Mr, mr he swore at me".
Your season is down the drain because of the consequences of an action one of your players took.
Ladies and gentlemen, we are supposed to be adults. People swear in the heat of the moment...get over it, build a bridge, grow a spine. Live life. Oh happy days!

As for all this role model BS, well unless players only coincidentally began to swear as we began to shove microphones down their throats on the pitch then im sure that players have always used profanities on the pitch. So that would mean its the NRLs fault for turning Rugby Leagues players lives into the Trueman Show that we catch them committing attrocious, heinous crimes such as swearing. Consequently i would advise the Knights to charge the NRLwith a Grade 3 Reckless Coverage charge. Punishable with a kick in the balls for being thin skinned softcocks.

Agreed, but once again the problem wasn't swearing. If he had abused the touchie without swearing he would still be in hot water.

skeepe

Immortal
Johns shows his class once more:

0,,5215209,00.jpg

What a f**cking merkin!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
To those whingeing about the penalty being harsh, try calling a policeman a f**ing merkin in the street and see where you end up. How is Johns' action much different to that?

katestar676

Juniors
4 weeks is a joke, how many times have you seen players swear on the field and nothing has happened to them? People are saying that its becuse it is Andrew Johns and he is a big player and a role model that he should be punished. So does that mean if he does a high tackle he should be punished more then everyone else? If Anthony Quinn and every other player that has sworn at a ref (and you see it all the time, those who deny it are kidding themselves) has gotten away with it why shouldn't he?
I personally think that it deserves a week or two but only IF every other player, doesnt matter who they are will get suspended for doing the same thing in the future, if not then its a load of crap.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
katestar676 said:
4 weeks is a joke, how many times have you seen players swear on the field and nothing has happened to them? People are saying that its becuse it is Andrew Johns and he is a big player and a role model that he should be punished. So does that mean if he does a high tackle he should be punished more then everyone else? If Anthony Quinn and every other player that has sworn at a ref (and you see it all the time, those who deny it are kidding themselves) has gotten away with it why shouldn't he?
I personally think that it deserves a week or two but only IF every other player, doesnt matter who they are will get suspended for doing the same thing in the future, if not then its a load of crap.

The suspension is for 2 weeks, his loading makes it more. He is a serial offender, he should have learnt by now.

Azkatro

First Grade
katestar676 said:
You're missing the real issue here, like many people are. Let me spell it out:

JOHNS WAS NOT CHARGED FOR SWEARING!

He is being charged for abusing an official. We all know how often players swear - Hindmarsh clearly saying "Ohhhhh, f---!" when Fuifui got sent off the other week; in the Cowboys Warriors game when Aaron Payne was having a chat to the ref about working the player and why they were being penalised, he clearly could be heard swearing and Jason Costigan apologised that it was broadcast. But neither abused the referee which is what Johns is being charged for. Swearing while talking to a ref is different to pointing at him and screaming "YOU'RE A F----ING C---!!!!!!!!"

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Azkatro said:

He is being charged for abusing an official. We all know how often players swear - Hindmarsh clearly saying "Ohhhhh, f---!" when Fuifui got sent off the other week; in the Cowboys Warriors game when Aaron Payne was having a chat to the ref about working the player and why they were being penalised, he clearly could be heard swearing and Jason Costigan apologised that it was broadcast. But neither abused the referee which is what Johns is being charged for. Swearing while talking to a ref is different to pointing at him and screaming "YOU'RE A F----ING C---!!!!!!!!"

Spot on. It's kind of like getting a speeding ticket, if you exclaim "oh f**k!" when the policeman tells you how much the fine is you probably won't get in trouble, but if you call him a "f**king merkin" he'll probablyu arrest you for abusing him.

katestar676

Juniors
If you read my post when i say swear at a ref that doesnt mean swearing while talking to them it means swearing directly to them or abusing them if thats what you want to call it. Anthony Quinn did this 3 times during the storm game and a penalty was awarded, not a 2 week suspension. What about the time when Gordon Tallis called the ref a f**king cheat? Is that not abusing a ref? He didn't get suspended. How many other times has it happened well we don' know but i reckon its happened a few times before.

All im trying to say is that if u are going to suspend johns for any amount of time that they are goin to have to do it to everyone else and if not thats bullsh*t, and if people cant see that then they are biased.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
katestar676 said:
What about the time when Gordon Tallis called the ref a f**king cheat? Is that not abusing a ref? He didn't get suspended.

Tallis was sent off so he copped a fair punishment instantly. Sending Johns off wouldn't have made much difference as the game was almost over anyway so a suspension was more appropriate.

mickdo

Coach
Azkatro said:

Obviously the type of abuse would determine the grading of the offence, but your point is spot on.

mickdo

Coach
katestar676 said:
If you read my post when i say swear at a ref that doesnt mean swearing while talking to them it means swearing directly to them or abusing them if thats what you want to call it. Anthony Quinn did this 3 times during the storm game and a penalty was awarded, not a 2 week suspension. What about the time when Gordon Tallis called the ref a f**king cheat? Is that not abusing a ref? He didn't get suspended. How many other times has it happened well we don' know but i reckon its happened a few times before.

All im trying to say is that if u are going to suspend johns for any amount of time that they are goin to have to do it to everyone else and if not thats bullsh*t, and if people cant see that then they are biased.
After the Quinn incident, the Knights were given a warning not to do it again. This has happened in the past with other players in relation to offences such as grapple tackles etc. The Knights obviously didn't listen, and this time the NRL decided they had enough warnings.

The Gorden Tallis incident was in Origin which everyone who knows anything about Rugby League knows is a completely different kettle of fish to the NRL. For starters they are overseen by different governing bodies (the ARL and NRL). You can't compare the two, simple as that.

Razor

Coach

And plenty of times players have sworn at referees. Tallis said to the referee "You're a f**king cheat". He was not suspended. And it happens all of the time as well.

Razor

Coach
The Gorden Tallis incident was in Origin which everyone who knows anything about Rugby League knows is a completely different kettle of fish to the NRL. For starters they are overseen by different governing bodies (the ARL and NRL). You can't compare the two, simple as that.

Yes Tallis was playing at a club that the NRL part-owners own. Johns doesn't play at a club owned by the part-owners of the NRL.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Inferno said:
Actually it wasn't to do with swearing, most people accept swearing occurs on a football field and don't have a problem with it. He was suspended for abusing an official. 4 weeks is probably a little harsh though.

Replace "swear" with abuse officials and I'd support that idea.

Your season is down the drain because of the consequences of an action one of your players took.

Agreed, but once again the problem wasn't swearing. If he had abused the touchie without swearing he would still be in hot water.
Im not a Knights fan. I just dont want to see a player outed for potentially the rest of the season for abusing a ref. Didn't a player get less this year for laying his hands on the ref? Scott Hill?

Besides, i'd be inclined to reward Joey for abusing that little turdy excuse for an official.

salivor

First Grade
That was 6 years ago. Back then we had unlimited interchange, players could touch the ball with their foot over the dead ball line to get a 20m restart and what constituted a good hard tackle would now be put on report and possibly get a suspension. Times, rules, interpretations and punishments change.