What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judiciary points system idea

forward pass

Coach
Why doesn't the points system rate semis, Grand Finals and SOO matches as a higher points level than normal club games.

Fuifui's penalty is even more severe because he is missing semis and possibly a GF which should not count as an ordinary match. Does anyone else agree?

If you miss a match with 100 points, then why can't a semi be rated at say 140 points, a SOO match 150 points and a Grand Final 200 points. That would effectively mean that if Parra play 2 semis and a GF it would count as 5 matches served.

But more importantly if a player commits an offence and now has 120 points, he would ordinarily miss a home and away game but would not miss a Semi if it occurred at semi final time. Those points would then carry over.

I am not sure of the exact mechanics but I am sure they could get it to work.

A few of the Eels players currently have points accumulated (Morris and PJ)and could miss a semi or GF for a minor offence which would take them over 100 pts. There must be better system.

But what happens to the guy that gets 120 points.

He commits the offence this week against manly.

Gets he 120 points but can play as a semi is worth 140.

He then plays the grand final and wins, so he then has to miss the first game of next year.

If they club makes the WCC what would you rate that at ?

Coversly, a Trial game would have to be rated less than it is now, with maybe 50 -70 points being enough to suspend you from a Trial game.

The Colonel

Immortal
I think they just scrap the whole loading system and early pleas. If its worth a week its worth a week, two weeks etc etc.

Quit stuffing around and get serious rather than allowing players point discounts for good behaviour etc.

Electric_Eels

Juniors
Yeah hindy didnt deserve to miss an origin match earlier in the year as well so the system does need some new ideas

forward pass

Coach
MarkInTheStands said:
But what happens to the guy that gets 120 points.

He commits the offence this week against manly.

Gets he 120 points but can play as a semi is worth 140.

He then plays the grand final and wins, so he then has to miss the first game of next year.

If they club makes the WCC what would you rate that at ?

Coversly, a Trial game would have to be rated less than it is now, with maybe 50 -70 points being enough to suspend you from a Trial game.

A trial game would get a low rating or not even count at all as they are only practice matches. I actually have nothing against FuiFui or even Carl Webb being allowed to play in trials then missing premiership matches.

forward pass

Coach
The Colonel said:
I think they just scrap the whole loading system and early pleas. If its worth a week its worth a week, two weeks etc etc.

Quit stuffing around and get serious rather than allowing players point discounts for good behaviour etc.

Yes Colonel, but are you saying a week during the year is the same as a Grand Final???? Commit the offence during the year and miss a match against Souths. Do the exact same thing in a final - miss the Grand Final. How can that be fair?

Agree with your bit about the loadings, early pleas etc.

Mr Saab

Referee
The Colonel said:

i agree with that.
Without all the loading BS, Fui should have been handed a 3-4 week ban.
On the flip side, i think a player should be rewarded for clean play for an extended period of time.

The Colonel

Immortal
forward pass said:
Yes Colonel, but are you saying a week during the year is the same as a Grand Final???? Commit the offence during the year and miss a match against Souths. Do the exact same thing in a final - miss the Grand Final. How can that be fair?

Agree with your bit about the loadings, early pleas etc.

Unfortunately a week is a week whichever way you look at it. Just because you commit an offence during the finals doesn't mean it should be treated any differently. Harsh? Very, but that is the way football is.....

There have been plenty of players in the past miss Grand Finals etc because of suspension. My only problem is the one where you miss two games instead of one... like what would have happened to Hindy

Kornstar

Coach
Well, the favourable treatment of players comes into play too.

Luke Ricketson last year punched Fien while Fien wasn't looking at him, Ricko stayed on the field for one, then he got suspended. Ok so he missed the GF but that is it, he got one week for doing what Carl Webb did and i believe they went lenient on him because he was missing the GF, i didn't see them going lenient on Fui or Webb who both have a huge chance of making the Gf this year.

The problem is consistency and the lack of it!! The other problem is that the games administrators are not doing anything to fix this, i think that Davig Gallop is one of the best things to happen to our game and he has done alot and pretty much everything running smoothly except for the judiciary and it is almost as if they are scared to touch it. They should get ex-players off the panel, some are biased and some may take sympathy for the incident as they may have suffered it.

I am also not saying there is an easy solution, but there has to be a better way than the current system.

I hate the Roosters but Adrian Morley is probably the one who suffers more than anyone with the current process, he so much as goes past the shoulders and he gets 3 weeks, that is not fair on him or the team. It is a contact sport played by humans, we are full of mistakes, that is what makes us human.

IMO the Hopoate's of the game are the ones that ruin it for players like Morley. Morley is not a dirty player, he is not arrogant he just plays aggressive footy, which is needed for the intimidation factor of the game.

Eelementary

Post Whore
forward pass said:
Why doesn't the points system rate semis, Grand Finals and SOO matches as a higher points level than normal club games.

Fuifui's penalty is even more severe because he is missing semis and possibly a GF which should not count as an ordinary match. Does anyone else agree?

If you miss a match with 100 points, then why can't a semi be rated at say 140 points, a SOO match 150 points and a Grand Final 200 points. That would effectively mean that if Parra play 2 semis and a GF it would count as 5 matches served.

But more importantly if a player commits an offence and now has 120 points, he would ordinarily miss a home and away game but would not miss a Semi if it occurred at semi final time. Those points would then carry over.

I am not sure of the exact mechanics but I am sure they could get it to work.

A few of the Eels players currently have points accumulated (Morris and PJ)and could miss a semi or GF for a minor offence which would take them over 100 pts. There must be better system.

It's an interesting concept.

I certainly believe that the judiciary needs to be reformatted.

I am all for Moimoi's suspension - the tackle warranted a few weeks, that is most probably true to say.

But nine weeks? I think he was very hard done by - especially when the evidence is not clear for either the prosecution or the defence.

I also believe players such as Morley and Moimoi are specifically targeted by the judiciary - which I find pathetic.

Sure, Morley and Moimoi sometimes do make a bad decision. But many times they come up with great, huge hits, and they're put on report and thus eventually suspended.

Had Cayless or Stringer performed both tackles, would they have gotten nine weeks?

I doubt it very much.

Does Moimoi therefore deserve nine weeks? Certainly not.

I think it's a shame that the judiciary is actively encouraging forwards to go soft.

Macca_

Coach
Agree with what Colonel said about scrapping the system. Judge each incident on its own merits.

Don't agree that finals etc should be treated different as far as points go. IMO all games are just as important as the finals. You can't be there if you don't perform in the 26 rounds. Treat them the same.

The problem with scrapping the points system is that when it gets close to finals time there is a lot of controversy in the decisions the panel make. I know there still are but at least with a points system it is clear what they are facing.

It's all b*llsh*t basically, and a real problem area in the game.

Seinfeeld

Juniors
I would like to see someone challenge the points loading system in court.

I doubt if there is a court in the land that wouldn't consider it to be grossly unfair.

stuke

Bench
Seinfeeld said:
I would like to see someone challenge the points loading system in court.

I doubt if there is a court in the land that wouldn't consider it to be grossly unfair.

League doesn't need to be back in the courts. They have been there far to much in the last decade.

The system does need an overhaul, but I am sure that any system is still going to be controversial. Especially so when it involves finals and representative games.

As the Colonel said, players do need to be compensated for lengthy periods of good behaviour on the field but every case also needs to be judged on the merits of the case. How a high tackle can get a player 9 weeks and an eye gouge gets another player 6 weeks is beyond me.

We are branding players and will force players to leave the NRL (like Craig Smith did) because of the way they are being judged. Fui is now a liability for the team as any indescretion for teh next few years would result in lengthy suspensions.

forward pass

Coach
The AFL have a fining system in place I believe, whereby they can suspend or fine a player or both.

This sounds a bit better as he could have got say 4 weeks and a fine. Surely that is better than a 9 week suspension for a high tackle.

The Colonel

Immortal
forward pass said:
The AFL have a fining system in place I believe, whereby they can suspend or fine a player or both.

This sounds a bit better as he could have got say 4 weeks and a fine. Surely that is better than a 9 week suspension for a high tackle.

AFL system is ludicrous. Some of the "suspensions " and fines they have handed out this season are beyond a joke.......may as well play in skirts.

forward pass

Coach
The Colonel said:
AFL system is ludicrous. Some of the "suspensions " and fines they have handed out this season are beyond a joke.......may as well play in skirts.

I am talking about the concept itself - not any of the decisions!!!!

I don't think we are far from wearing skirts either just quietly.....

The Colonel

Immortal
forward pass said:

They are rather over zealous down there. We are further away from wearing skirts then they are. Some of the "punches" that players have copped fines and suspensions for wouldn't knock a small child over.

Mr Saab

Referee
forward pass said:

at least we (league) dont get suspended for a shoulder charge

Latest posts