What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior Amone

st george sam

Juniors
I wouldn't mind seeing how the team went with Amone 6 and Bud 7 and without Hunt's influence, just for one or two games, I think they'd surprise a lot of people. Liddle 9 and Sloan 1, with the other two a whole new look spine, the possibilities are endless but we'll just have to wait for that I guess, Hook doesn't have the balls to try that line up.
First half have Liddle as hooker then in the second half bring Amone on replacing Liddle and shift Hunt to hooker & Amone as 7.

The Villain

Juniors
I wouldn't mind seeing how the team went with Amone 6 and Bud 7 and without Hunt's influence, just for one or two games, I think they'd surprise a lot of people. Liddle 9 and Sloan 1, with the other two a whole new look spine, the possibilities are endless but we'll just have to wait for that I guess, Hook doesn't have the balls to try that line up.
It was interesting last year seeing Amone’s whole game change when bud took the field. He always lifted.

Belta

Juniors
I am really happy he MAY, at some stage, resume his football career. Being a young adult at 20, I hope he takes ownership of his actions, at an early stage lodges a guilty plea, receives a good behaviour bond and is told by the club, he’s on his last chance. I hope he is sent back to reserves and told to work his backside off and if you’ve shown remorse, shown a personality that he can demonstrate acceptable behaviours in both the community and the work place than at a later stage he MAY be considered for selection. Only when the club honestly believes he deserves the opportunity once again. I hope he takes it all on board and becomes a better player and most importantly a better person.

I know he’s on a contract and there is pressure to get results, but I agree with some, he’s not Munster or a Tedesco, he’s potentially a good player, who won’t make or break our success this season. ( not that I can see much success either way) I hope he is not cleared to play and slotted straight back in, that would be a very disappointing result for me.

Old Timer

Coach
I am really happy he MAY, at some stage, resume his football career. Being a young adult at 20, I hope he takes ownership of his actions, at an early stage lodges a guilty plea, receives a good behaviour bond and is told by the club, he’s on his last chance. I hope he is sent back to reserves and told to work his backside off and if you’ve shown remorse, shown a personality that he can demonstrate acceptable behaviours in both the community and the work place than at a later stage he MAY be considered for selection. Only when the club honestly believes he deserves the opportunity once again. I hope he takes it all on board and becomes a better player and most importantly a better person.

I know he’s on a contract and there is pressure to get results, but I agree with some, he’s not Munster or a Tedesco, he’s potentially a good player, who won’t make or break our success this season. ( not that I can see much success either way) I hope he is not cleared to play and slotted straight back in, that would be a very disappointing result for me.
Does he have to take a pay cut or do we pay him his contract rate to be in reserve garde whilst ineligible for 1st grade selection?

jodragon40

Juniors

Well said

since77

Juniors
I’m amazed anyone would consider letting this guy play for us again. We’ve already let one clown back in to influence our rotten club “culture“ as well as giving him a pay rise for his bog average service since he returned form having his charges dropped. Let‘s add one more.

jodragon40

Juniors
I’m amazed anyone would consider letting this guy play for us again. We’ve already let one clown back in to influence our rotten club “culture“ as well as giving him a pay rise for his bog average service since he returned form having his charges dropped. Let‘s add one more.
Culture and discipline issues with our club is clear as we can see with the recent incidents

Illusion

Bench
Culture and discipline issues with our club is clear as we can see with the recent incidents
Because the club as a whole, is not Professional enough ...... Everyone walks around slapping each other on the back , about how good the smorgasbord was ...... It's time for them all to get off their high horses and start thinking about the Club, not themselves .......

justadragon

Bench
I really dont know what to think here, I'm always for do the crime do the time, and also everyone deserves a second chance. I would like his second chance to be his last, I would also prefer to see him back in reserves and go from there. I think it would be unfair on Sullivan to push him out of the halves and back to maybe a utility role. All in all if Hunt would do what is best for the team then we wouldnt have a drama would we.

jodragon40

Juniors
I really dont know what to think here, I'm always for do the crime do the time, and also everyone deserves a second chance. I would like his second chance to be his last, I would also prefer to see him back in reserves and go from there. I think it would be unfair on Sullivan to push him out of the halves and back to maybe a utility role. All in all if Hunt would do what is best for the team then we wouldnt have a drama would we.
Agree but Hunt love him or hate him will be pivotal in how many games we can actually win this year to avoid what 50% of experts say could be the first wooden spoon. I don't think we will get the spoon. I agree young Sullivan should still partner Hunt but Griffin is our coach and don't be surprised if it's Amone / Hunt moving forward

justadragon

Bench
Agree but Hunt love him or hate him will be pivotal in how many games we can actually win this year to avoid what 50% of experts say could be the first wooden spoon. I don't think we will get the spoon. I agree young Sullivan should still partner Hunt but Griffin is our coach and don't be surprised if it's Amone / Hunt moving forward
What do you do with Sullivan then. He's not a utility, he wont hang around waiting for Hunts contract to end, we'll lose him for sure.

Belta

Juniors
Does he have to take a pay cut or do we pay him his contract rate to be in reserve garde whilst ineligible for 1st grade selection?
I fully get that. I don’t know his current contract, assuming it’s mid range whatever that is, and it’s going to raise the tough questions, a time will come where the club will have to balance between the players talent, his contract, how the player reacts to what decisions are made (unfortunately) and what affect it has on overall success of not just of the player but the team/club/fan base collectively. My view is in a shit situation maybe the club needs to consider taking a hit “ie wearing his contract” and subsequently putting the culture and behaviour of individuals above all else. That’s my opinion, however in a climate where success is everything some of these issues are excused/overlooked, and I get that, as some may say the clubs are not the polite police

Dragon David

First Grade
I agree with you justa.

The thing is though, we are still waiting on the decision from the NRL on whether or not Amone can play as soon as or whenever. They might view that whilst the case isn't an immediate stand down - now that it is being heard in the local court and the charge would involve a sentence of less than 11 years if convicted of the charges - they could see that he has "over-reacted" and that might mean paying a fine or serving a suspension.

The outcome of his hearing won't be for some months (hopefully, there will not be any conviction) and in the meantime, if he is able to play, that would benefit the club. I'm sure that by now the club would have given Amone a "roasting" on what he allegedly got himself into.

I feel that Sullivan should now be given a reasonable time playing in first grade in the halves and that Amone, if given a clearance to play, should spend time in reserve grade to allow Sullivan to develop his partnership with Hunt. If Sullivan gets injured or isn't "up to it" then bring Amone back in.

With the signing of Liddle, I honestly cannot see Hunt being moved to the hooker role - even though many would like him there. Hunt wants to be the 7 and that's that.

SEAT 1A

Bench

Legal twist could result in Amone making shock return for Dragons​

by Adrian Proszenko, smh.com.au
March 1, 2023 01:00 PM
Suspended St George Illawarra playmaker Talatau “Junior” Amone is seeking immediate reinstatement over claims he should no longer be bound by the NRL’s no-fault stand down rule due to the way his case will now be prosecuted.
Amone has been unavailable for selection since he was charged over an alleged hammer attack on a roofing contractor in November. The case of the Dragons five-eighth - who was charged with reckless grievous bodily harm in company, destroying property and intimidation - was mentioned in Wollongong Local Court on Wednesday.
Under the NRL’s rules, players charged with an offence carrying a maximum prison term of 11 years or more are automatically stood down until their court proceedings are finalised.
That was initially the case for Amone, who was facing the prospect of being behind bars for up to 14 years if the more serious grievous bodily harm charge was dealt with in the district court.

However, police confirmed on Wednesday the case would be prosecuted in the local court, where the maximum sentence available for the charge is just two years. Even if convicted of all charges, the maximum sentence available to the court is now only five years.
Amone’s high-profile lawyer, Elias Tabchouri, is taking immediate steps to lobby the NRL’s integrity unit to change its stance and allow his client to play immediately.
View attachment 70714
Junior Amone could make an unexpected return to NRL duties.Credit:GettyPhoto by: Getty
“I have been a strong advocate for the NRL integrity unit to exercise the discretion they inherently have in dealing with these matters on a case-by-case basis,” Tabchouri told the Herald.
“I believe they should exercise their discretion in this circumstance to allow Mr Amone to rejoin his team and continue with his career.
“He is stood down now in a circumstance where the 14-year sentence doesn’t apply and we are still maintaining his right to defend the matter. He is also maintaining his innocence.

“I’ve found the NRL integrity commission to be open and receptive in all of my dealings with them and hope they will again remain open to discussion in this instance.”
The legal development raises hopes that Amone could be considered for selection for the Dragons’ first game, against the Gold Coast at Kogarah on March 12. The Dragons, who have the bye in round one, had identified Amone as the long-term halves partner for marquee halfback Ben Hunt.
Amone’s potential availability would be a huge boost for a club that has lurched from one drama to the next during the summer. The adverse headlines include the presentation dinner no-shows, Amone’s incident and a heated argument between Zane Musgrove and Mikaele Ravalawa after the Charity Shield loss.

However, the biggest issue for under-pressure coach Anthony Griffin is who will partner Hunt in the halves. Jack Bird is returning from knee surgery, Jayden Sullivan’s preparations have been hampered by a hamstring issue and Moses Mbye has had mixed results as a starting half.
The NRL is monitoring the situation. The Dragons declined to comment.

Amone is now below the NRL guidelines so, I don't think they would have actioned the rule.

Regardless of if you agree with Amone's actions, I don't think they should overide their own rules after the fact and I hope it doesn't come down to a ruling of law to allow Amone to play.