What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior's

Craig Johnston

First Grade
parra has won more nswrl club championships than any other district in the last decade

must be doing something right

1997 Parramatta
1998 Canterbury
1999 Parramatta
2000 Bulldogs
2001 St George-Illawarra
2002 Bulldogs
2003 Canberra
2004 Sydney Roosters
2005 Parramatta
2006 Parramatta
2007 Parramatta
2008 Wentworthville

PJ Marshal

Coach
WTF? Where the hell are you getting your statistics from?

mate i im involved with a side in it and its just ridiculous the way they grade competitions, draws etc. Its so ass about face its not funny...plus they let clubs like wenty rule the roost

the a grade is the biggest joke of all

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
The thing that has annoyed me most with this years draw is so many teams have had to play home games at different grounds I thought this was only for my team but after talking to a lot of the other coaches during the year they have had the same problem.

planeteels

Juniors
mate i im involved with a side in it and its just ridiculous the way they grade competitions, draws etc. Its so ass about face its not funny...plus they let clubs like wenty rule the roost

the a grade is the biggest joke of all

Okay.. it's long.. but hopefully provides some clarification...

You are involved in a side, that is awesome - may I ask which Club? I am on the Board of the Junior League and your comments/feedback are of great interest.

Club Gradings are requested by Clubs at the beginning of the year. Gradings are decided by a Panel which consists of Junior League Board/Advisory members and delegates nominated by Clubs. The decisions for gradings are based on a number of factors including previous years performance, stability of the side in terms of retention of players as well as participant Team counts - ensuring each division has an even spread of teams to compete against at a skill level as close as possible.

The Gradings are subsquently reviewed after the first 4 Competition rounds after further assessment by the panel. Every Club has the right to appeal Gradings by submitting a written application for review by the District Club Appeals Chairman - Chris Jurd.

The entire process is in place to do the best at attaining Parity, Safety for varying skill levels and also to stop ruthless Club Officials/Coaches from stacking sides in lower divisions in order to earn cheap Competition points in lower grades before being bumped up to higher divisions. Sadly, it is a practice which is all too common.

The Gradings process which is in place, is governed by the PDJRLC By-Laws which are are developed in consultation with and subsequently Voted upon by the Junior League Clubs. It isn't something that the District Club or Junior League Board has the right to change at will. Any amendments MUST be voted on by ALL PARRAMATTA JNR LEAGUE Clubs at our Annual General Meetings. Only when ratified by our Member Clubs, can such procedures be implemented. So, I must advise you that if you have grievances about Gradings, speak to your Club Executive and tell them to put motions of amendment to the Floor at our 2009 AGM in December.

The process does have flaws, however in lieu of a more workable or fair system, the Clubs are yet to request the revocation of the by-laws and processes. If you have suggestions on alternatives, by all means throw them at me.

With regards to our A Grade competition there are some changes afoot to create a Super Competition featuring the Division 1 A Grade sides from both penrith and parramatta districts . This is still in development though so I cannot give any further information as we are still working through it with the Western Academy.

I am interested in your feedback, so if you want to forward me your grievances.

If none of it makes sense, it's cos i'm at work.. answering calls and the like... I will glady clarify or amend any boo boo's

parrachilean31

Juniors
No problem, mate. You just constantly ask stupid questions that with a little investigation you could find out yourself.

Now say aaa
to the Avenger...Well i guess if it was a stupid question many people would have not answered it with smart arse comments refer to planeteels comment . Why is a stupid question is it because you dont know the answer , mate there are no stupid question only stupid answer like you answer .If i could find out for my self i wouldnt ask but i always go the websites to look this up cant find it so maybe you should do your research to get a better answer .

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
The entire process is in place to do the best at attaining Parity, Safety for varying skill levels and also to stop ruthless Club Officials/Coaches from stacking sides in lower divisions in order to earn cheap Competition points in lower grades before being bumped up to higher divisions. Sadly, it is a practice which is all too common.

What I have seen over the past fews years that I have been involved with the jr league is that a lot of coach's will hold back on playing there better players in the first few rounds so that they remain in the lower grade and better there chances to win the comp.

planeteels

Juniors
The thing that has annoyed me most with this years draw is so many teams have had to play home games at different grounds I thought this was only for my team but after talking to a lot of the other coaches during the year they have had the same problem.

The answers to the above is quite simple.

We are restricted in the number of games we can allocate to grounds as a result of Referee availability.

Most Ref's do 3-4 or even more games a day/weekend, and it is near impossible to expect them to :
a: jump between different Club grounds to Referee games that are within their Graded Ability level given the size of the PDJRL Competition boundaries.
b: referee any more than 3-4 games - it would be detrimental to the standard of refereeing which we already know to be questionable at the best of times.

The Referee's Association allocates Referee's to particular age groups according to their Skill/Seniority and in conjunction with PDJRL, allocate games and referee's to ensure the games will be covered by Ref's trained to the appropriate levels.

Apart from the above, there are other issues at play in relation to ground availability due to Scheduled games for those Clubs who have Senior sides in the Bundy Cup, NSW Cup etc etc rendering their grounds unavailable at certain times as well as maintenance or ground suitability.

The Scheduling of matches isn't as random as you believe. Perhaps you also need to consult your Club Executive to find out what the real reasons are and if they can't provide an answer get them to contact me or at the Junior League Office - Terry Rose or Lisa Henshaw.

planeteels

Juniors
What I have seen over the past fews years that I have been involved with the jr league is that a lot of coach's will hold back on playing there better players in the first few rounds so that they remain in the lower grade and better there chances to win the comp.

Believe me when I say that we know it happens.

Gradings meetings ALWAYS go until the wee hours of the morning because they spend so much time reviewing stuff like this and even then a small few unscrupulous Coaches get away with it.

The above is the whole reason we do a re-assessment of Gradings after Round 4 and it may not be fool proof but we do the best we can. Our only option is to ensure every side Registers and Grades a COMPLETE SQUAD prior to Round 1 and no further players to be registered at that point - this is never going to happen because NSWRL & ARL guidelines stipulate a Registration Cut-off of June 30 of that Competition year for that season.

The other thing that I ask you to consider is : Please don't forget that there are some Clubs out there who have players unavailble in the initial ROunds of the Competition due to certain players participating in Summer Sports such as Cricket & Baseball. There are occasions where these players are involved in Finals Series or Representative Teams and aren't available to Junior League Teams until their committments have ceased - this is also the case for Junior Reps playing Harold Matts and SG Ball.

If SOME Coaches were treating Junior League as a game for kids to have fun and learning some skills along the way rather than living out their own delusions of grandeur or living their lives through the kids they coach, we wouldn't need the rules that we have. SADLY, Human Nature means we need the rules and need to constantly review them.

Last edited:

EELICIT

Juniors
No problem, mate. You just constantly ask stupid questions that with a little investigation you could find out yourself.

Now say aaa
to the Avenger...Well i guess if it was a stupid question many people would have not answered it with smart arse comments refer to planeteels comment . Why is a stupid question is it because you dont know the answer , mate there are no stupid question only stupid answer like you answer .If i could find out for my self i wouldnt ask but i always go the websites to look this up cant find it so maybe you should do your research to get a better answer .

I like your mentality parrachilean, doesnt matter about the know it alls. You keep asking questions and people who are in the know will answer you with dignity and assertion. Nobody has all answers to all questions however the ones that do will not insult you!:D

planeteels

Juniors
PJ.. i forgot to comment on your feedback in relation to Wenty...

Trust me when I say that they get no more preferential treatment than any other Club. I can't go into much more because there is stuff going on at present which limits me to what I can say.

Only other thing I can say is that any perceived preference to the above mentioned is only because of the rights of appeal to the District Club that Wentworthville have exercised. Again, I would suggest you speak to your Club executive about certain things that have been happening of late for clarification as to how far off the mark your perceptions are :)

Latest posts