What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Justin Hunt

Country Dragon

Juniors
I think Hunt is better than some are making out, the kid has a touch of the Nightingale about him, and he even brings a little x-factor with his footwork and running game, one of few who always challenges the defence and is a real threat for a line break.

So imo Hunt is great value as a budget winger (and backup fullback), freeing up cash to buy in a classy centre (or whoever).. I dont think he will hang around in reserve grade... and Glymin or Cranston are the emergency replacements in the wing department.

I think you're right about the Nightingale comparison, we've got worse on our books. Mind you that is slowly changing.

BennyV

Referee
I think Hunt is better than some are making out, the kid has a touch of the Nightingale about him, and he even brings a little x-factor with his footwork and running game, one of few who always challenges the defence and is a real threat for a line break.

So imo Hunt is great value as a budget winger (and backup fullback), freeing up cash to buy in a classy centre (or whoever).. I dont think he will hang around in reserve grade... and Glymin or Cranston are the emergency replacements in the wing department.

I dont dislike him, but I just dont think he is a full time winger. If he is, he needs a full tear in Reggies nailing the ability to score tries. Wingers today can find the tiniest gaps to get the ball down, and Justin doesnt have that. Yet.

I dont have an issue keeping him around as depth, but we should be aiming higher. Even if we scored a strike centre, Mata'utia would be a better option on the wing.

And there is only one Nightingale.

hazzbeen

Bench

Rev I would be keeping him , he can fill in at fullback , wing and with a few more games in top grade he could turn out to be a great budget player...........

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hunt is great value for what he brings. He would not be on much you would think. Swapping him for Quinlan ended up being a stroke of genius.

nrlnrl

First Grade
It's as though he knows he won't be there next season, has been way below his best & not even running the ball back with his usual 100% approach.

FlameThrower

Bench
He started off with a bang, but has now fizzled out....handling errors, bombed tries and being caught out of position. But then again the rest of the squad is in same boat, it's an across the board drop in form, at a time when the team should be lifting we are limping in...

getsmarty

Immortal
Utility man Hunt still unsure of future path

By SIMON BRUNSDON

Aug. 24, 2015, 7:23 p.m.

RUGBY LEAGUE
Utility back Justin Hunt is enjoying his best season in the NRL since 2012, but his rugby league career past 2015 is as clear as mud.

Hunt was thrown a one-year lifeline by St George Illawarra after playing just one game with Parramatta during 2014.
He spent the first half of the season playing in the NSW Cup for Illawarra Cutters and broke into the first grade team to replace Josh Dugan at fullback during the Origin period in round 17.
Since then he has missed just one game for the club.
It's the first time he has managed to string consecutive games together since playing rounds 15 and 16 for South Sydney back in 2013.
In 2012, he made 10 appearances for the Rabbitohs, including a semi-final.
He is rapt to be getting a run with the Red V.
He also realises he is playing for a contract.

"I'm loving it, every time I run out on the field I embrace it and really enjoy it," Hunt said.
"Every time I take the field I'm playing for my future, so I try to take it with both hands and do my best."
Hunt is yet to secure a deal past the current season and knows time is running out to join an NRL club.
The Dragons are his third team in as many years and the 26-year-old admits he is sick of moving every 12 months.
But the Red V doesn't appear to be in a hurry to offer him a new contract.
"They're not too sure salary-cap wise, so I'm not sure how it's looking," Hunt said.
"I really want to stay but, if I can't, hopefully I can jag something somewhere else.
"Competition is always good, there's some great outside backs and it always pushes you to make yourself better."
Hunt has been playing on the wing in recent weeks, but admits his preferred position is at fullback.
He knows he won't lay claim to the Dragons' No 1 jumper as long as Dugan is fit, though.
But rather than feel bitter, he says Dugan's presence has helped him to grow as a player.
"Duges is great mate, I'm learning a lot off him because my preferred position is fullback, so he's been good for me," Hunt said.
"And out on the field he's enormous, his runs and everything he does."
Hunt is expected to retain his position in the side for this week's trip to Queensland to take on Gold Coast on Sunday.
Forward Jake Marketo, however, will be missing from the squad after he accepted a one-game ban on Monday.
Marketo was charged with a grade-one dangerous throw following Thursday's win over Penrith and took the early plea which carried 167 points.
Second-rower Tyson Frizell narrowly escaped suspension for his trip on Panthers fullback Will Smith.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/3302706/hunt-grabbing-at-future-with-both-hands/?cs=302

giboz71

First Grade
Hunt is similar to Quinlan in some respects. Big heart, tries hard but has limited capabilities. We don’t need another player like that.

I would have thought a winger would be one of the easier positions to fill, hence I didn’t mind the strategy of letting Bmoz walk.

Other sides seem to manage it this year, Rona for the Dogs, Elliot for the Roosters, Gray for the Rabbits, Titans nabbed Nene McDonald from the Roosters. None of these guys were sure things with big neon signs saying they were going to be good players. And none of them would have cost a bomb, yet other clubs were able to secure them.

As soon as Bmoz walked, we should have been scouring the country for a replacement and all we came up with was Nabuli and Hunt??? Given the players I mentioned above, methinks our scouts have been asleep at the wheel for a while.

Mr Red

First Grade
"They're not too sure salary-cap wise,"... JESUS still cap issues?
if we cant afford someone who would be on close to minimum wage ...WTF??

surely this cant be the reason they are stalling??
Hunt alone frees up 400k... Merrin gone.... Nabuli gone... others on 1 year deals like the Butcher surely gone.....

watatank

Coach
Could be a case of top 25 v second tier or maybe even what hunts manager is asking for. Hunt should look at england tbh

Lethal25

Juniors
26 years old and yet to become a regular first grade player, also at his third club in 3 years.

Either he's been incredibly unlucky or simply he's not a first grader. I'll go with the latter

Rather blood some younger guys Isaac Thompson or Kiti Glymin who appear to have more upside than a guy who's had six or so seasons to prove their worth.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
"They're not too sure salary-cap wise,"... JESUS still cap issues?
if we cant afford someone who would be on close to minimum wage ...WTF??

surely this cant be the reason they are stalling??
Hunt alone frees up 400k... Merrin gone.... Nabuli gone... others on 1 year deals like the Butcher surely gone.....

settle petal....
You know how player managers talk up their charges with inflated figures and higher offers?
Guess what....clubs do the same, just the opposite way

rainman44

Bench
26 years old and yet to become a regular first grade player, also at his third club in 3 years.

Either he's been incredibly unlucky or simply he's not a first grader. I'll go with the latter

Rather blood some younger guys Isaac Thompson or Kiti Glymin who appear to have more upside than a guy who's had six or so seasons to prove their worth.

Yeah i agree give the kids a run before they go somewhere else.

FlameThrower

Bench
Sign him up on 1 year deal, he is cheap utility player, and Nighty may be getting sidelined with injury as he getting on a bit now,? Can cover Duges during rep season. We are skint for cash yet we keep acting like we can afford to pick and flick!!

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
If Dufty and Thompson are the real deal, why not give them a go? They are 19 and 18. Surely next year one of these guys is ready for a shot at first grade. Pretty sure RTS and Topou were only 18 when they made their debuts. No doubting RTS is a star, but topou is fairly average imo. And look how the roosters told maloney he wasn't needed next season as they have Hastings.
We need to be managing our juniors more effectively.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Yes I would sign him for his versatility value but if we want to keep players like Duffy and Thompson, let alone Hutchingson, apart from Farrell, who do we drop? People won't stay or come to a club when all they are offered is a run in teams like the Cutters. Unless like some clubs & brown paper bags are used...

TheRev

Coach

Hunt: Depends what hes worth, at 150k+ incentives maybe.. I like what Hunt brings, has a lot of Nightingale in him, speed, running game, looks comfortable in 1st grade. If he has bigger offers from England then so be it.

Thompson: I really want to be proven wrong with Izaac Thompson, but I dont see him do anything decent in U20's, for such a potentially powerful kid i thought he would be running over people.. not writing him off forever, but to me hes a long way from first grade if ever.

Glymin: Success in Cutters, certainly the next winger in, no guarantee though but once Nabuli is gone next year he will get his chance (esp if nightingales injury is ongoing).

Dufty: Ppl throw him up, im all for blooding players early if theyre ready, and I love this kid but I just dont see him succeeding at first grade at this stage, hes like a mini-mouse (looks like a boy), hes not going to take a fullback spot yet, as a winger .. maybe.. but a lot of his running game would be wasted and hes not tall so he has a massive disadvantage immediately.. to me his future is not secure, 1-2yrs to see if he can keep getting better.. obviously not helping that the U20's team are being trounced in 2015.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Hunt: Depends what hes worth, at 150k+ incentives maybe.. I like what Hunt brings, has a lot of Nightingale in him, speed, running game, looks comfortable in 1st grade. If he has bigger offers from England then so be it.

Thompson: I really want to be proven wrong with Izaac Thompson, but I dont see him do anything decent in U20's, for such a potentially powerful kid i thought he would be running over people.. not writing him off forever, but to me hes a long way from first grade if ever.

Glymin: Success in Cutters, certainly the next winger in, no guarantee though but once Nabuli is gone next year he will get his chance (esp if nightingales injury is ongoing).

Dufty: Ppl throw him up, im all for blooding players early if theyre ready, and I love this kid but I just dont see him succeeding at first grade at this stage, hes like a mini-mouse (looks like a boy), hes not going to take a fullback spot yet, as a winger .. maybe.. but a lot of his running game would be wasted and hes not tall so he has a massive disadvantage immediately.. to me his future is not secure, 1-2yrs to see if he can keep getting better.. obviously not helping that the U20's team are being trounced in 2015.

You could be right about Dufty and Thompson and if that is the case, then perhaps we need to be looking to poach juniors from other clubs.

Latest posts