What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Justin Poore ready to pull pin on Dragons

Parraren

Bench
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-pull-pin-on-dragons/1513625.aspx?storypage=1

Justin Poore ready to pull pin on Dragons

BY MICHAEL COX PICTURE: ROBERT PEET
15/05/2009 9:26:00 AM

On the eve of St George Illawarra's biggest game this season, star forward Justin Poore has revealed he is ready to walk away from the club.

Poore's manager Todd Buckingham said the Dragons were highly unlikely to match big-money offers for the in-demand prop and he was almost certain to leave at the end of the year.

While the Dragons celebrated the re-signing of back-rower Ben Creagh yesterday, the news was tempered by the prospect of losing Poore.

Buckingham said negotiations with his client had broken down.

"It's at a standstill - they've put an offer in and we're not happy with that," Buckingham said.

"They've (the Dragons) had an offer on the table for a couple of weeks now and we've met them on Tuesday and they haven't budged."

Cronulla and Parramatta are vying for the 24 year-old's signature, with Brisbane also an outside chance of snaring Poore's services.

The Sharks have room under their salary cap and are in the market for a front-rower after Ben Ross suffered a potentially career-ending neck injury earlier this season.

Ross, off-contract at the end of this season, was one of the highest paid props in the game and it has allowed the Sharks to make a considerable offer to Poore - and it appears the Dragons aren't willing to compete.

"Without going into depth with the other offers, the offer from St George is substantially lower than his market value and we won't be accepting the offer. We've explained that to them," Buckingham said.

"It's a big difference. We've explained at those levels that we won't be staying at the Dragons."

Meanwhile, Dragons captain Ben Hornby has urged his side's off-contract players to focus on the job at hand in tonight's top-of-the-table clash against the Bulldogs at WIN Jubilee Stadium.

Eight of the Dragons 17-man squad named for tonight's game are off contract, including Poore and in-form outside backs Brett Morris and Beau Scott.

"That's just something we've got to deal with and obviously for those blokes they've just got to put it off the field. On the field they've got a job to do and we're expecting them to do it," Hornby said.

St George Illawarra are equal premiership favourites after nine rounds and Hornby believes his team's good form has brought with it extra attention from opposing clubs.

"It's just a case of when you're winning games and the team is going well, other teams are looking at your players," he said. "It's something you've got to deal with. If they're local juniors we'd like to keep as many as we can."

Bulldogs skipper Andrew Ryan says the match is the biggest in the club's recent history.
"We've played a few tough teams this year, but St George is in great form and obviously a packed house at Kogarah is very exciting for us.

Parraren

Bench
I still don't think he's proven he's worth throwing big top dollars at.

Bennett is a smart man and he's offered him what he's worth.

The Sharks are paying massive overs if reports are true at $400k. Ridiculous.

I personally think we can get better value out of the likes of..

- Logan & Learoyd Lahrs from Canberra.
- Scott from the Cowboys.
- Shackleton from the Roosters.

2 out of those 4 would help.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
The Sharks did pay Ben Ross $400 000 a year. But I hear they got Tupou for a good deal, no doubt the work of Tony Zappia.

I hope we get Poore and $300 000 might be overs, but he is consistantly getting better. Maybe in 2 or 3 years, $300 000 might be "unders"

caylo

Bench
would take him for 300K, wouldn't touch him for any more though... take it or leave it tbh and if it isnt enough for him, someone like shakelton will be just as good IMO for alot less

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Put a 2 year deal on the table.

1st Year - $250K
2nd Year - $350K

Also offer him a further $30K should we make the top 4, and a further 30K a year should he represent NSW or Australia. I hear Guru is no certainty to play beyond this year, and a few others (first graders) might be off-loaded. We need to keep the best of the young ones and FuiFui Moi Moi. Our pack desperately lacks grunt and most importantly motivation.

Pazza

First Grade
2008 was a rough year for him with injury but he is returning to form in a big way this year

Pazza

First Grade
a starting front row of tronc and scott would be f**king awesome, alot cheaper aswell

Craig Johnston

First Grade
i wouldn't want tronc, we rely on fast play the balls, and have ourselves targetted tronc and the cowboys slower pack when we've played them. last game being an example

I would take Ben Hunt but that's not possible at the moment. Any knew blood in the front 3 would be a pleasent addition and Poore fits in the category.