What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Justin Poore ready to pull pin on Dragons

Stagger eel

Staff member
I like that team, only difference is I would have Mateo at 5-8, Shackleton at lock and Promote Paulo to the bench. Wouldn't mind Reddy in the centres and Etu on the wing (or vise versa) or even a promotion of Richardson.

Note for Stagger: Im not talking about next week for a few reasons. 1. Shack and Poore are not with our club this year and 2. RIchardson is still on the injury list. I might also point out that this would be a god team IF we sign these players... not saying that we have. Is that clear enough for you stagger??

well then I'd like to ask you one question, what's this got to do with Ken Thornett?

parra pete

Referee
well then I'd like to ask you one question, what's this got to do with Ken Thornett?

The BEST post you have EVER made Stagger.
You've won me.....I love it :lol::lol::lol:

Never a truer word has been spoken...The Mayor.....Those WERE the Days....(Note Suity).....

Runaround Man

Juniors
That is in my opinion, Luke Burts best attribute and yet it appears it is hardly ever used. That irkes me about our side, we dont exploit the best out of our players. Ill give Hagan credit for that, in his first year he did a good job of that. But it appears that our player are coached into playing a very restricive style and its just so frusturating. For example, I havent seen Hindy inject himself into the backline much these days.

I agree with you 1 Eyed TEZZA.

I think Luke offers plenty in terms of ball playing and kicking and speed with little darts through the centre of the ruck, especially late in each half. I think he has an excellent passing game.

I think he would make a decent 9 or 7 in attack. It is the defence that has a question mark.

cgee221

Juniors
I agree with you 1 Eyed TEZZA.

I think Luke offers plenty in terms of ball playing and kicking and speed with little darts through the centre of the ruck, especially late in each half. I think he has an excellent passing game.

I think he would make a decent 9 or 7 in attack. It is the defence that has a question mark

I agree, hence my idea for playing him from the bench. If we were to do as you suggest, Runaround Man, late in the half, hopefully his defence wouldn't be exposed, but I'd still be inclined to defend him on the wing.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Actually Burt off the bench as a sparky hooker wouldn't be too bad, I don't think. In defense the other forwards can help muscle him up, so it wouldn't be atrocious by any means. And this way he can use his skills better and we can keep Hayne at fullback with Guru and Reddy on the wings.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
No not as a hooker, Matt Keating is a 80 minute hooker and it should stay that way, its a waste of an interchange. Mateo is an 80 minute lock, as is Hindmarsh. Realisitcally Cayless, Moi Moi and who ever the other second rower is in the starting side are the only ones that really need to be interchanged. If I were coach I would get Burt used to the wing or he may not have a spot in the side. Besides, j ust because he is wearing the number 2 or 5 or what ever, dosent mean he cant inject himself in attack.

There are a few bits of play where one player is by himself. Kick returns, our best player there is Jarryd Hayne. Hit ups can be assisted with good service from dummy half, Matt Keating is our best player there but who ever makes the hit up must find a way past the advantage line and then get up for a quick play the ball, at the moment there is only 1 or maybe 2 of our forwards getting over the advantage line and thats Fui Fui and possible Galavao. Last tackle kick options, we are struggling for a long kicking game at the moment. Have since Timmy left and now even more since Finch is gone so dont know who is our best now, Hayne has a good kick on him. Dummy half running, Matt Keating is good there with his dummy, but if I were to pick a second it would be wither KK or Burt.

Eelementary

Post Whore
No not as a hooker, Matt Keating is a 80 minute hooker and it should stay that way, its a waste of an interchange. Mateo is an 80 minute lock, as is Hindmarsh. Realisitcally Cayless, Moi Moi and who ever the other second rower is in the starting side are the only ones that really need to be interchanged. If I were coach I would get Burt used to the wing or he may not have a spot in the side. Besides, j ust because he is wearing the number 2 or 5 or what ever, dosent mean he cant inject himself in attack.

There are a few bits of play where one player is by himself. Kick returns, our best player there is Jarryd Hayne. Hit ups can be assisted with good service from dummy half, Matt Keating is our best player there but who ever makes the hit up must find a way past the advantage line and then get up for a quick play the ball, at the moment there is only 1 or maybe 2 of our forwards getting over the advantage line and thats Fui Fui and possible Galavao. Last tackle kick options, we are struggling for a long kicking game at the moment. Have since Timmy left and now even more since Finch is gone so dont know who is our best now, Hayne has a good kick on him. Dummy half running, Matt Keating is good there with his dummy, but if I were to pick a second it would be wither KK or Burt.

If he was to start from the bench, what other position would he play?

Just because MK is an 80 minute player doesn't necessarily mean that is best for the team. It may be, but ultimately that's up to the coach.

I, myself, see plenty of merit in the idea behind having a genuine creative spark at dummy half in Burt.

caylo

Bench
If he was to start from the bench, what other position would he play?

Just because MK is an 80 minute player doesn't necessarily mean that is best for the team. It may be, but ultimately that's up to the coach.

I, myself, see plenty of merit in the idea behind having a genuine creative spark at dummy half in Burt.

I don't mind the idea of a half/utility off the bench and I think Burt would suit that well. Burt come on with Mateo moving to lock and Burt Moving to 5-8 (in a scrum) but he could play as a second fullback or second 5-8. Burt could drop back on the last instead of one of the wingers, and could play a bit through dumby half. As long as he injected himself it would work, the other thing is that it would provide cover if an outside back injured himself.

Gronk

Staff member
Poore could be out the door

By James Hooper | May 17, 2009 12:00am

0,,6628390,00.jpg
In demand ... Justin Poore. / The Daily Telegraph

ST GEORGE Illawarra are in danger of losing NSW State of Origin contender Justin Poore after negotiations between his agent and coach Wayne Bennett hit a snag. Poore was the unlikely hero of the Dragons' lucky escape against the Bulldogs on Friday night, scoring a runaway try with the game delicately poised.
But the Helensburgh Tigers junior may be lost to the Dragons, with struggling clubs Cronulla and Parramatta tabling $350,000-a-season packages to lure him away.
While Poore wants to remain in the red and white, talks have broken down. The stalemate follows a bitter meeting between coach Bennett and Poore's agent Todd Buckingham last Tuesday.
Dragons chief executive Peter Doust said recruitment manager Craig Young was handling the negotiations.
Young refused to comment on the meeting, while Poore confirmed his desire to remain at St George Illawarra. "I'm enjoying my footy here and it's getting worked out as we speak,' Poore said.
"Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can tell you what I'm doing. I want to stay, I love the club, the players and the coaching staff.''
Asked about the offers from Cronulla and Parramatta, Poore said: "There is, and you've got to weigh those options up, but I'm a local junior. I've still got to work some things out.'' Buckingham refused to be drawn on the meeting with Bennett and said he hoped to resolve the stand-off during the next fortnight.
"Where did you hear that? No, I've got no comment. Where do you blokes get this stuff from?'' Buckingham said when asked about the meeting.
In January, talks between Bennett and Buckingham became strained after the coach learned retired Brisbane prop Shane Webcke had contacted Poore to arrange a tour of the Broncos' facilities at Red Hill.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,25492751-14823,00.html

Stagger eel

Staff member
unfortunately, it appears we'll probably just miss out on him, that's what happens when your up against an operator like Zap.

Raudonikis

Juniors
Why would you want to go to cronulla now when its possible they may not even continue in the near future,not to mention being assured of being paid.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Why would you want to go to cronulla now when its possible they may not even continue in the near future,not to mention being assured of being paid.

he's been given an iron clad agreement through Cronulla leagues club that he'll get paid, i'm sure he's covered all that with the sharks and his manager.

Stagger eel

Staff member
ok well lets hope he would rather come to parra instead of the mess that is cronulla

well, the fact he'll still be close to his business in wollongong may sway him to stay or go to the sharks, I'd say he's using us as a bargaining tool.

strider

Post Whore
guarantee or not, I still reckon the sharks would be a risk to sign with - they may guarantee you'll get paid for each season you play, but who says they will stay around? What if they relocate? then his job close to home becomes a bit more of a commute :lol:

Eelementary

Post Whore
To me it's far simpler:

Look at Cronulla. On paper, a decent team. Very decent i fact - a back row of Gallen, Maitua and Tupou is nothing to laugh at. They have effective young props and Barrett (who I rate). Their backline is OK, but without being spectacular. They have an over-rated coach. They're coming LAST.

Look at Parramatta. A pretty average forward pack, a very talented but inexperienced halfback, a lock playing at 5/8, a backline that has all the talent in the world but is playing without confidence. And we're still beating Cronulla and at least showing some promising signs that we'll improve.

For me, and not because I'm an Eels fan, it'd be a no-brainer - if you want any sort of semblance of success, Parramatta has shown more promise with a weaker roster than Cronuall imo. Not to mention longevity.