What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Karmichael Hunt

some11

Referee
The whole fight was over TV rights. How old were you in 1997 if you think what you are saying is relevant?

You're the one advocating wiping out half the comp over something that happened 17 years ago, there goes over half your viewership and there goes any station bidding for it.

I'm applying your geniused agenda to today's landscape.

Parra

Referee
You're the one advocating wiping out half the comp over something that happened 17 years ago, there goes over half your viewership and there goes any station bidding for it.

I'm applying your geniused agenda to today's landscape.

No-one is suggesting that. What's done is done. No need to sugarcoat it either. The lesson learned is how quick some clubs will sell out and how cheaply.

Parra

Referee
It's not relevant to my post. I'm saying that Karmichal Hunt suggesting AFL is a better code then Rugby league is completely different to Mal Meninga bagging ARL over Superleague.

Meninga is not and has never said that any code is better than Rugby League. That's why this is a big difference between criticizing Rugby League than suggesting other codes are better, which is what Hunt has done.

Hunt does not have the interests of Rugby League at his heart. He's promoting other codes and demeaning Rugby League at it's expense. This is completely different issue compared to having two rugby league comps and Meninga choosing one over the other.

Meninga is promoting the game and wants Rugby League to succeed. Hunt is telling the media and the fans AFL is the best game out there so get behind it. But if you want side to continue to defend Hunt with you're weak incoherent irrational comparison to Menniga. Then so be it. :roll:

What Meninga said and did was far more damaging and widely reported. Meninga was a state and national captain and the game was being torn apart. To compare what he said and when he said it with what one bloke in the wilderness said is ridiculous. Hunt will never have the status of Meninga.

You give all players too much credence. It doesn't matter what he or any other afl player says.

davi

Juniors
What Meninga said and did was far more damaging and widely reported. Meninga was a state and national captain and the game was being torn apart. To compare what he said and when he said it with what one bloke in the wilderness said is ridiculous. Hunt will never have the status of Meninga.

You give all players too much credence. It doesn't matter what he or any other afl player says.

I agree with you that Mal Meninga has higher status. But Meninga efforts at Canberra Raiders, particularly winning premierships in Rugby League hey day in the early nineties. He's coaching Queensland to eight straight state of origin victories, and he's decision to work as a adviser to the Papa New Guinea team show's he has done far more good for Rugby League then bad.

Meninga wasn't the only one to criticize ARL during that period (Langer, Stuart, Daley). And he's criticism were probably more aimed at the administrators. Remember some Meninga criticisms have been for the good of the game as well. For example when Brisbane was struggling to sell out game 1 of State of Origin this year- he slammed the greed of the QRL hammering working class family's who can't afford tickets to go.

Karmichal Hunt's aimed at not the administrators but the sports its self. He suggested he was bored with Rugby League and he wasn't learning anything new. He suggests that AFL is more physical demanding then League and that it's a much better sport. Meninga has criticized administrators, Hunt has taken a swipe at the game itself and suggested AFL is better.

Which leads me to my point. If Hunt falls out at Rugby and wants to come back to league. Do we really want him back? I think his comments are inflammatory and putting the game into disrepute. I think he's burnt his bridges with Rugby League and would encourage the NRL to black list from ever coming back.

Some players the $$$ is more important then code itself. Hunt has shown from his comments that if he has no more use for Rugby League, and he's happy to dump on it, if he is not getting a dollar out of it.

Parra

Referee
He may find out why you shouldn't burn your bridges. I doubt it would matter & we may never know.

But if a team has a need and his rugby form is good enough someone will offer to sign him back. Look at what SBW gets away with. If they are good enough then good luck to them. Of course the money takes precedence for a player, they can only earn for so long and the injuries last a lifetime for some.

DC_fan

Coach

Two things here. I think we know what Mal was trying to say all those years ago, but with his lack of public speaking skills it didn't come out the right way.

As for what AFL players say about league, you are correct it doesn't matter. But what Hunt says has some relevance because he has played both games.

Brutus

Referee
Hunt is just dirty he got a massive ribbing from the league media when he was caught in the boggers with his teammates all those years ago.

He needed to be in a sport where the media just sweeps things like that under the carpet. AFL was perfect for him.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Hunt is just dirty he got a massive ribbing from the league media when he was caught in the boggers with his teammates all those years ago.

He needed to be in a sport where the media just sweeps things like that under the carpet. AFL was perfect for him.

And Yawnion is even better because no one cares about it

beave

Coach
^this.

He knows the easier of the rah rah codes is union, have a look at the condition he turned up in after the season or so of euro trash rah rah.

One cutie leaves, we always have more young guns to step up and take their place.

oikee

Juniors
Lockyer has to get over his fantasy and love affair with Hunt and start promoting our code, not other codes.
We have young superstars coming through the system every year. maybe Lockyers time would be better served helping and encouraging our own games youth.

Hunt is a has-been no hoper, he was crap at AFL, and he will be crap at union.
Anyone who watches this no-namer over the likes of Slater, Shreck or Penrith's new fullback are bored with life.
Hunt is a plodder and a loser and has no values or morals.

babyg

Juniors
Love to see him do a Marshall but then no NRL club wants him. If he goes shit at union, that 5 years out bite.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He'd have been a good publicity signing for a new Brisbane club but given it will be at least another 3 years till we see expansion he will be well past it by then.

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
He was on the radio this morning and it was interesting that he basically has no mates from his time at the Broncos, apart from the occasional text to Hodges. In fact he seemed to suggest that friendships don't really matter when you move as you just make new ones.

He also suggested that AFL players were more likely to behave better than NRL players because they need to stay fitter because they run further in games.

He's clearly got some particular gripe with RL, although he did say the Broncos were very professional in his dealings with them.

Canard

Immortal
He'd have been a good publicity signing for a new Brisbane club but given it will be at least another 3 years till we see expansion he will be well past it by then.

Quick lets rush an expansion team into the comp to suit the whims of one decent first grader from 5 years ago!!!!

Best reason for expansion ever!

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Quick lets rush an expansion team into the comp to suit the whims of one decent first grader from 5 years ago!!!!

Best reason for expansion ever!

Talk about taking his comment out of context!

He is spot on, K Hunt would have made a great signing for an expansion team. Like him or not for leaving and his comments, rightly or wrongly Karmichael attracts plenty of publicity and any publicity is good publicity for any code.

no name

Coach
Talk about taking his comment out of context!

He is spot on, K Hunt would have made a great signing for an expansion team. Like him or not for leaving and his comments, rightly or wrongly Karmichael attracts plenty of publicity and any publicity is good publicity for any code.

Yeah, a new SE Qld club could use him as a marquee to get publicity.
It wouldn't matter if he is any good or not, he could be the face of the club.

I can't believe no one has ever thought of it before..........

Canard

Immortal

Does he though? His recent signing with Union has gone by without much fuss. Even the League press has hardly talked about it.

If a new expansion team signed, say Daly Cherry Evans or even god forbid Izzy Folau that would generate far more buzz.

If anything him going to Union for the next 2 years will be a great thing for League, as it will raise his profile again and when he comes back (which he will) it will generate some publicity again.

PS I don't give a shit about any of the "comments" stuff, thats just something that some trumped up moaner tries to cling to justify not liking someone.

Last edited:

Latest posts