What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kaufusi the man to put punch in Parra

Eels Dude

Coach
A "massive bid". If we have enough cash for Antonio Kaufusi, who's played for Australia and QLD, then why didn't we resign Tony Williams... or Chad Robinson... or anyone else we've lost. Is Antonio even off contract?

Gronk

Staff member
A "massive bid". If we have enough cash for Antonio Kaufusi, who's played for Australia and QLD, then why didn't we resign Tony Williams... or Chad Robinson... or anyone else we've lost. Is Antonio even off contract?

Maybe we left some cash in the kitty for a quality established player who is neither untried or at the end of his career ?

Suitman

Post Whore
Maybe we left some cash in the kitty for a quality established player who is neither untried or at the end of his career ?

Well, if that's the case Fitzgerald is a liar.
He's on record as stating that we had no room under the cap to keep Williams.

Suity

Eels Dude

Coach

You're probably right... just like Corey Pearson, Gary Larson, Ben Duckworth, Junior Langi etc.

bartman

Immortal
Has anyone ever thought that this statement that the club puts out about not having any money to recruit is just a ruse to try and keep the salaries of our own players down, and not repeat a situation like where we were negotiated into paying overs to keep Hayne?

If you tell everyone you don't have any money, and you say it often enough, these young players and their managers have to either call the bluff and jump ship for money, or consider staying loyal for something more affordable. Williams chose the cash on offer, and such is life. Others (like Burt etc in the past) will take pay cuts to stay and continue to play for the club which has provided for them rather than worry about having extra cash to party with.

We can't not have money to spend with all the departures we'll have next year compared to the start of this, those recently upgraded contracts must've been a real joke if they chewed up all of Riddell, Robinson, Tim Smith, and the rests' salaries. No wonder people are saying our older players have a problem with the under-performing but very highly rewarded younger stars...

I'm happy to read rumours about recruitment, because at least it shows that someone (even if it is only the mole, not our club) realises that we need something extra in the forwards - especially so seeing as our best forwards are ageing, and the Wellers and Lowries and Oakes aren't going to be equal replacements.

Gronk

Staff member
Well, if that's the case Fitzgerald is a liar.
He's on record as stating that we had no room under the cap to keep Williams.

Suity

As I said in an earlier post there it is reasonable that a club would split their cap in to categories, a large chunk for top 13, abit more for bench and fringe and what's left for prospects that need to be paid more than NYC base.

I would think that T-Rex would fit under the latter category.

Pazza

First Grade
Cayless and Kaufusi starting with Moi moi and Mannah onthe bench looks like a much better pack to me next season. Plus moving Cordoba to the #12 to work through the middle while Hindy and mateo work the fringes.

looks good!

Suitman

Post Whore
As I said in an earlier post there it is reasonable that a club would split their cap in to categories, a large chunk for top 13, abit more for bench and fringe and what's left for prospects that need to be paid more than NYC base.

I would think that T-Rex would fit under the latter category.

You're only speculating.
Fitzgerald is on record.

Suity

Eels Dude

Coach
If you tell everyone you don't have any money, and you say it often enough, these young players and their managers have to either call the bluff and jump ship for money, or consider staying loyal for something more affordable. Williams chose the cash on offer, and such is life. Others (like Burt etc in the past) will take pay cuts to stay and continue to play for the club which has provided for them rather than worry about having extra cash to party with.

Denis Fitzgerald in speaking to the media on a number of occasions stated that the reason they couldn't afford to keep Tony Williams was because they had no room under the salary cap and they would have to sacrifice 3 or 4 youngters just to keep him. It's one thing to say it to the players and managers... but to lie to the supporters is another thing

*Waits for sarcastic comment in regards to the fact we shouldn't expect anything less from Fitzgerald*

Eels Dude

Coach
You're only speculating.
Fitzgerald is on record.

Suity

Interesting though. When Hagan was at Newcastle he made it known that in spending the salary cap, the top 13 received 90% the rest of the players had the leftovers. Hence why they had such a large turnover of fringe first graders. Speculation still I know, but Denis let Smith do whatever he wanted in regards to finances and recruitment so I don't see why things would have changed.

oldmancraigy

Coach
You're only speculating.
Fitzgerald is on record.

Suity

And even if he weren't

After 1 game (one) I would've thought T Williams showed he had what it took in the top grade?

Let alone his next few....

Anyway - I'd rather get Kaufusi than nothing....

Stagger eel

Staff member
Well nobody here is privy to the books, so lets no delude ourselves that anyone can speak with any authority as to whether we have spare cash or not. All has been said about the cap of late is that there was no more money in the kitty to compete for T-Rex. You could conclude that we have spent all our cap, or perhaps, that the amount of our cap allocated to prospects like TW has been used. That does not mean that we don't have any left to pick up established first grader(s).

If anyone can correct me here, then please do so.

quick question..

what has Haydon Knowles, Kevin Wise, Ross Smart and Andrew Hill have in common???

Stagger eel

Staff member
All males.

true..and all work at the club and have looked at me in the eye and told me that there's no money left in the kiddy for outside signings. (well in Ross's case he e-maile me) but that's beside the point.

are you still not convinced?

Latest posts