What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kaufusi the man to put punch in Parra

Gronk

Staff member
Originally Posted by dazeely
surely he's not on that.

but you are right. Its a business and you have to be cruel to be kind. 3 young big hard nosed bulls at 150 each would be well and truley worth one almost over the hill one (f**k I hate saying that).

Never a truer word spoken.

Suity

Agree. I'm on the bandwagon.

caylo

Bench
Cayless and Kaufusi starting with Moi moi and Mannah onthe bench looks like a much better pack to me next season. Plus moving Cordoba to the #12 to work through the middle while Hindy and mateo work the fringes.

looks good!

That would look good IMO, Cordoba in the #12 and Mateo at #13 (or #6 with Hauraki at lock) leaving Mannah and Paulo on the bench with Fui.

bartman

Immortal
Denis Fitzgerald in speaking to the media on a number of occasions stated that the reason they couldn't afford to keep Tony Williams was because they had no room under the salary cap and they would have to sacrifice 3 or 4 youngters just to keep him. It's one thing to say it to the players and managers... but to lie to the supporters is another thing

*Waits for sarcastic comment in regards to the fact we shouldn't expect anything less from Fitzgerald*
This isn't a stab at Fitzy, but who are we (the fans/supporters) in the whole scheme of things anyway? I hardly think we're in a special category of "can never be lied to", especially when changing a culture of money (for whatever reasons) is at stake. I wouldn't put it past any of the men mentioned to lie to a mere supporters face when questioned - they answer to the Boards, not to us randoms.

It's easy for Fitzy to publically say we have no room under the salary cap, but really be taking into account planned spending for the balance of the future first grade squad. Which would then allow for targetted recruitment, but not mean he has lied.

We can't afford to pay over for Tony Williams under the salary cap, because we already have two big salaries in the outside backs, eating up an undue balance of our squad money. In that sense to keep another on 150K Fitzy would probably have to sacrifice some younger lesser paid members of next year's 25 man squad in different positions.

When you consider most of the criticism in performance this year centres around the forwards and halves (except for Luke Burt of course, because he alone is really the reason why we're not competitive in so many games :lol:), it makes no sense to retain Tony at double the price, when we can spend that money elsewhere in a position that needs it, eg like this rumour of chasing Kaufusi.

bartman

Immortal
At the very least a rumour like this in print - even if untrue - might have the effect of getting the guys who have under-performed and who might see Kaufusi as a risk to their first 17 spot to start really pulling their fingers out and playing to their potential.

This rumour could serve as motivation, and I'm talking Weller and Oake mainly... look at next year's potential pack, only room for one of them if they are lead to believe this signing is possible.

8. Cayless
9. M Keating
10. Moimoi
11. Hindmarsh
12. Kaufusi
13. Mateo
14. some playmaker benchie
15. Cordoba
16. Paulo
17. ?

Time for them to step up this week, especially if the pair of them are playing front row :crazy:

Daneel

Bench
Now i know everyone says we have no money under the salary cap, and i have no reason to doubt what is being said. However we apparently made a play for Ennis before he signed with the bulldogs. So i am wondering what happened to that money, has it been used to upgrade contracts of some of our juniors?

Bigfella

Coach
Because the mods can appreciate that a lighthearted comment made in a context of expressing an opinion rather than asserting a fact is not defamatory to anyone.

Or maybe they haven't seen it yet.

Don't try to drag me into you and Fathead's demerit scheme!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I like Kaufusi, however i think we need a couple of these forwards, no point releasing Fui to attain him unless we pick up someone else also.

My solution? piss off Todd Lowrie, yes i know it's an unorthodox solution but it will save us money too put towards someone else lol

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Offload someone earning 440 k's a year - we could pick up 3 props at that price - and they'd do just as good a job.

Suity

people critised us ( and fish) for mentioning this, however our argument is starting to gain widespread appeal;-)

caylo

Bench
Kafusi would bring alot of go forward to out club, and Fitzy did say that we have made mistakes in relying on Jnrs.

Kafusi would be a start to resorecting a problem, but only a start. If the rumour is untrue or we are chasing him and are unsucessful atleast we see managment are trying

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Kafusi would bring alot of go forward to out club, and Fitzy did say that we have made mistakes in relying on Jnrs.

Kafusi would be a start to resorecting a problem, but only a start. If the rumour is untrue or we are chasing him and are unsucessful atleast we see managment are trying

I agree, however i think we need atleast 2-3 new forwards to make an impact next year.

caylo

Bench
Ron I think it depends on form, If Paulo Hauraki play to their potential consistantly, and Mannah stands up then no. The addition of a strong running Prop or Backrower could be the difference in our team, although I still think we lack a creative player and from this round I hope KK has a big game and can hold his spot for a while.

I am very keen on seeing Gardner making the step up into the backline soon because our balance out wide is all wrong IMO.

Burt/Reddy
Reddy/Gardner
Inu
Hayne
Tautai

Williams should not be on the wing, Tautai the new grothe just doesn't offload as much (which is an improvment on grothe) and Reddy has a good kicking game (with both feet) and could replace Burt IMO (Reddy runs it harder).

Hayne and Inu on eachside, plus Gardner impresses me and is a solid youngster.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Now i know everyone says we have no money under the salary cap, and i have no reason to doubt what is being said. However we apparently made a play for Ennis before he signed with the bulldogs. So i am wondering what happened to that money, has it been used to upgrade contracts of some of our juniors?

we made a play at Ennis prior to signing up Weller, Oake, Tim Robo and Baumann and those who know me well would believe me when I tell them the money we offered Ennis was laughable and insulting...we weren't fairdinkum, and we were his club of choice...no word of a lie.

we didn't even get close to what the Bulldogs offered.

bartman

Immortal
Ron I think it depends on form, If Paulo Hauraki play to their potential consistantly, and Mannah stands up then no. The addition of a strong running Prop or Backrower could be the difference in our team, although I still think we lack a creative player and from this round I hope KK has a big game and can hold his spot for a while.

I am very keen on seeing Gardner making the step up into the backline soon because our balance out wide is all wrong IMO.

Burt/Reddy
Reddy/Gardner
Inu
Hayne
Tautai

Williams should not be on the wing, Tautai the new grothe just doesn't offload as much (which is an improvment on grothe) and Reddy has a good kicking game (with both feet) and could replace Burt IMO (Reddy runs it harder).

Hayne and Inu on eachside, plus Gardner impresses me and is a solid youngster.
Interestingly Gardner has been playing fullback in u20s the past two weeks, swapped to there from the wing.

Maybe his form on the wing warrented the swap? Something a certain first grade winger should take notice of, if he suddenly doesn't want to play on the wing anymore...

fish eel

Immortal
people critised us ( and fish) for mentioning this, however our argument is starting to gain widespread appeal;-)

I remember not so long ago this year a few people threw some stats at us claiming he was top 4 or 5 props in the game material :lol:

When, in actual fact, I think he is a good solid first grader capable of pulling out a huge game here and there