What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kayo Sports

Pommy

Coach
It is Foxtel and I can see the price raising very rapidly

Then people will just go back to watching illegal streams and they’re back to square one.
Foxtel aren’t doing tho because they want to, they’ve just got no choice.

Then people will just go back to watching illegal streams and they’re back to square one.
Foxtel aren’t doing tho because they want to, they’ve just got no choice.
Yeah but they'll still be overpriced and prey on those who are too old or dumb to find streams. How long can that last?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So, I rang foxtel to permanently cancel my account, got the usual spiel asking me why - I said I was thinking about going Kayo, the bloke tells me it's a mistake, that you can never be sure that the stream won't get interrupted, the picture quality isn't as good as foxtel, you can't record stuff etc.

I hope Rupert was monitoring his call for quality, he's be out of a job surely.

Bazal

Post Whore
So, I rang foxtel to permanently cancel my account, got the usual spiel asking me why - I said I was thinking about going Kayo, the bloke tells me it's a mistake, that you can never be sure that the stream won't get interrupted, the picture quality isn't as good as foxtel, you can't record stuff etc.

Apparently the idea from their end is to get new users on Kayo, and keep existing subscribers. Which seems naive, but whatever.

Parra

Referee
'You can't record' seems to be the only genuine reason he gave. However, most of the sports are available to replay according to kayo. NFL being the main exception I can see. Kayo + nfl gamepass solves that and still saves $.

franklin2323

Immortal
'You can't record' seems to be the only genuine reason he gave. However, most of the sports are available to replay according to kayo. NFL being the main exception I can see. Kayo + nfl gamepass solves that and still saves $.

There is an option to choose and NFL in your favourites so something should be on the way you'd think. Probably Kayo starting mid NFL season had something to do with that

beave

Coach

pm me if you want a way to get NFL game pass at half price.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee

Well that was absolutely a load of shit. The quality of the stream is, as usual, entirely dependent on the quality of your internet.

Speaking of Kayo, I know it's verrry easy to shit on Fox at times and I've personally taken part in it plenty, but credit where it's due, this program NRL Try Time is a great idea for a bit of a time waster during the week, and especially now in the doldrums of the off season. It's basically an ultimate highlight reel from each round of all tries scored by all teams in 2018.

So if you're like me and want to indulge in any form of footy content possible to scratch the itch, it's highly recommended (and hosted by the eye candy that is Lara Pitt as a bonus).

Parra

Referee
1984 GF was on today. Grothe still dropped the ball with the line wide open. Passed through every player in the backline from the scrum base. Each time I watch it Grothe drops that pass. Maybe next time.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Apparently the idea from their end is to get new users on Kayo, and keep existing subscribers. Which seems naive, but whatever.

What that indicates is that the price of Kayo is likely more realistic and they’re gouging the shit out of the old customers. Also have all the old infrastructure there and probably don’t want to scale Kayo any faster than they need to while they’re gouging the existing customers for extra $.

Pommy

Coach
It’s the same price as the Foxtel sport package. So unless Foxtel go back to force bundling non-sport content I don’t see that happening.

Do they not make you buy a basic package anymore and then add the sport on top?
That’s interesting if not as I don’t think kayo inciudes the EPL team specific channels and you also have to pay for your internet on top of the Kayo price.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Do they not make you buy a basic package anymore and then add the sport on top?
That’s interesting if not as I don’t think kayo inciudes the EPL team specific channels and you also have to pay for your internet on top of the Kayo price.
I think that's what he meant by 'force bundling'.

Pommy

Coach
I think that's what he meant by 'force bundling'.

Looking at the Foxtel website I couldn’t build a package which didn’t have the entertainment package. Also HD is still $10 a month extra in 2019. Sport on Foxtel seemed to be $29 also.
I think I will be sticking with Kayo.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Looking at the Foxtel website I couldn’t build a package which didn’t have the entertainment package. Also HD is still $10 a month extra in 2019. Sport on Foxtel seemed to be $29 also.
I think I will be sticking with Kayo.
Yep, precisely.

I'm sticking with Foxtel for the time being - not a fan of the broadcast delay

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yep that’s what I meant. Kayo is about the same price as the add-on sports component of Foxtel, on top of the standard Foxtel package that you have to buy.
Which makes sense as Kayo is marketed as sports only. So they can’t really dramatically jack up the price unless they completely move away from the whole “sports only” model which is its whole reason for existence.