What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kearney delighted with Walker deal

Gronk

Staff member
Kearney delighted with Walker deal

Ian McCullough

November 4, 2010 - 3:54PM

AAP
New Parramatta coach Stephen Kearney says the opportunity to sign veteran NRL winger Chris Walker was too good for the Eels to turn down.
Parramatta will become the 30-year-old former Queensland Origin star's sixth NRL club, and he joins after a one-year spell in the English Super League with French side Catalans.
Walker is the Eels' third recruit with a history of off-field issues, with Reni Maitua and former Queensland prop Carl Webb also agreeing terms earlier this year.

Maitua returns to the NRL after a two-year ban for doping offences while Webb moves south of the Tweed after a disappointing couple of seasons with North Queensland during which he was arrested for drink-driving the day after his wedding in 2008.
However, Kearney said he had no concerns about Walker and believes he will be a great addition to a side that missed out on a top-eight spot just 12 months after reaching the grand final.
"We looked at our list and we have a fairly extensive amount of injuries with Joel Reddy undergoing shoulder reconstruction and Eric Grothe playing very little football last season due to injury," Kearney told AAP.
"We also lost Krisnan Inu, who is a class outside back, to the Warriors, and for what Chris cost us, we thought it was good value to get him on board and too good a chance to turn down.
Eels officials refused to divulge details of Walker's deal, other than to say the club was happy with the deal.
Kearney has a history with Walker, having been an assistant when the speedy back was at Melbourne in 2006.
"His experience will be good for us and our young players who are coming through and I know he is looking forward to the challenge and I am looking forward to working with him."
"I am not concerned about Chris' past. It is the future that interests me.
"He is a mature player now and has moved on in life and he will be a good addition to our squad and will play a big role for us next year."

© 2010 AAP
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/kearney-delighted-with-walker-deal-20101104-17faa.html

mrpwnd

Bench
Looks like Kearney has plans for him in first grade.
I thought he'd be a Wenty player at most.
Interesting.

stormbati

Bench
You guys might have to get used to a few has-beens coming to the club. Kearneys probably confident he can create a Storm like culture, without the obvious salary cap problems.

boxhead

First Grade
Yeah that's what I was thinking stormbati.
I believe most of the players he has recruited have proven themselves in the big games or have won the big games, I think their experience and success can carry over to the younger players.
To me I agree; it is evident he is trying to formulate that winning culture that makes the Storm so successful.

strider

Post Whore
well if we are to believe everything that's been said, walker is the ONLY Kearney signing so far :sarcasm:

tresurehunt

Juniors
well if we are to believe everything that's been said, walker is the ONLY Kearney signing so far :sarcasm:

a good replacement for inu i reckon,a hell of a lot quicker,can kick ,and can find the line too, good pick up .

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Could Walker be any worse than INU this year??? And he's coming a hell of a lot cheaper.

bartman

Immortal
Well with Kearney going in print about it, at least we know this recruitment can't be blamed on DA...

Talanexor

Juniors
Who's in charge of recruitment for your mob, some of these pickups are just disgraceful. You'll have some fine wooden cutlery to put on the shelf by this time next year.

Webb, Manuokafoa, Maitua and now Walker??

The first two are some of the laziest footballers I've ever seen, while the latter two are constantly getting themselves in trouble.

Gaffman

Juniors
Team starting to look a bit like dad's army.

I thought signing Webb was funny, Walker just has me scratching my head to think of anyone else we could possibly dig up and resurrect their career... maybe Luke Ricketson would like to come out of retirement?

mrpwnd

Bench
Team starting to look a bit like dad's army.

I thought signing Webb was funny, Walker just has me scratching my head to think of anyone else we could possibly dig up and resurrect their career... maybe Luke Ricketson would like to come out of retirement?
I wouldn't mind getting Joey out of retirement.

Eels Dude

Coach
Who's in charge of recruitment for your mob, some of these pickups are just disgraceful. You'll have some fine wooden cutlery to put on the shelf by this time next year.

The first two are some of the laziest footballers I've ever seen, while the latter two are constantly getting themselves in trouble.

As a Cowboys fan you can't talk... you do the exactly same thing every single year and still haven't learned. Despite having the world's best halfback leading you around you've still been sitting at the foot of the table for the last 3 years.

mrpwnd

Bench

Give us Thurston you damn nuffy.

bartman

Immortal

Apparently any bad recruitment was/is/will always be Daniel Anderson's fault... and any good recruitment will be the CEO and the Board's good work :sarcasm:.

At least that's how it came across this season - if opposition fans can spot our recruitment has been crap, when are we as Parra fans going to wake up and demand better from our current Board and their chosen employee? :?