What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kearney for the Warriors?

Rich102

Staff member
"People in the know are saying Kearney won't be out of the coaching game long, that he'll be coaching the New Zealand Warriors," Matty Johns said.
"That's logical. He's a national coach, most of the national team are in the Warriors. I think it would be the next logical appointment, him being the coach of the NZ Warriors," Geyer responded.
"When [current coach] 'Bluey' McClennan was first appointed, I thought it was an odd choice. It just shows, they're very unfit at the moment," Geyer added.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...-jennings--pearce-vs-smith/20120730-gu4m.html

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Only three paragraphs yet wow, so much crap squeezed in.

Matt Johns is a festering pimple on the game. He's managed to link in his head that Kearney is a NZer, the Warriors are based in NZ, therefore he's a future coach. And tried to give it credence by saying 'people in the know'. What the f*ck? The bloke has been out of a job 2 weeks, and there's a guy already here on a two (three?) year deal. It's almost like he wishes Kearney on us, because he's a mud coach and he hates the Warriors with a passion, because he's butthurt about NZ and the Sharks saga. Wasn't us who made you watch, Matty.

I love Geyer but blaming Bluey for our fitness? It's not our fitness in my opinion anyway, it's our lack of leadership and mental application. Same thing is happening to the NZ cricket team and failing to convert 50s into 100s. It's not fitness, it's mental.

I'll go with him on odd appointment, though.

Brando

Juniors
From the Herald........"Brian McClennan is safe as Warriors coach despite the increasing likelihood the club will miss the finals in his first season in charge.
Saturday night's loss to Manly leaves the club probably needing to win all five of its remaining games just to sneak into the playoffs - an unlikely scenario for a team whose longest winning streak this season is just two matches.
Failure to make the eight would represent a significant reversal for a club that reached last year's grand final after finishing the regular season sixth.
In the latter years of Ivan Cleary's reign making the top eight was considered a minimum expectation, however it appears McClennan will be granted more leniency.
"Ivan had seven years, Brian hasn't even finished his first yet," chief executive Wayne Scurrah said. "People need to keep that in perspective."
As head of the football department, Scurrah said he was "totally accountable" for this season's performances and "I'm not flying the white flag and saying we have got it wrong this season with Brian at all".
Scurrah pointed to the pre-season injury toll that destabilised the early weeks of the campaign and the number of young players blooded as factors in what had so far been a disappointing season. He also said McClennan would have learned a great deal in his first season as an NRL coach.
McClennan also appears to have the backing of the club's ownership. Co-owner Owen Glenn recently described himself as "no Abramovich", a reference to Chelsea Football Club owner Roman Abramovich's fondness for hiring and firing coaches.
"As long as we are on the right track and as long as we have a positive view of where we are going and as long as we have the right people ... we are employing a strategy and that is to look for home grown product instead of buying experienced footballers and I am buying that," Glenn said. "I am saying okay, let's do it, let's see if we can prove our point.
"But I always like to win. As far as I'm concerned we should go out there and kick the arse of the Australians every week."
McClennan conceded the club's board and owners were unhappy with results but he believed he had still had their full backing. "They have assured me they have been pleased with some of the things that I am introducing into the team but they are obviously not pleased about the results," he said.
While he fully believed the club would still make the finals this season, McClennan accepted he would be on a short leash if that failed to happen.
"I understand this business. I know that I have got to get results and I am confident I can.
"I trust in the players totally. I believe in them and I know we are going to get results. If we don't and that carried on next year, well, I'll suffer the consequences.
"But I am an optimistic type. I'll crack on and keep telling the boys what I think we can do to get better. I'll keep working as hard as I can with them and the staff. I am a believer. I believe our team can do great things.
"I am still optimistic that we can get the job done this year, I really am. I know we'll have to win five but let's just play Cronulla [this Sunday] first."..............sigh.

spear tackle

Juniors
Referring to the above artical from the NZ Hearald.
Would this be the same Wayne Scurrah that said last year that Ivan was going nowhere?
Who knows, most of its probably crap anyway.

vvvrulz

Coach
They won't ditch Bluey right away, and nor should they. As dodgy as the Warriors are Bluey is allowed another season make them come right.

Rich102

Staff member
There's an old Jack Gibson rugby league saying: Waiting for a Cronulla NRL premiership is like leaving the porch light on for Harold Holt. Wonder what Gibson, a legendary coach and crusty character, would have said about the Warriors?
Holt, the Australian Prime Minister, went missing while swimming at Cheviot Bay back in the 1960s and was never found. The Warriors' season, after that dreadful surrender against the Knights last weekend, has almost similarly disappeared. There was strong expectation at the start that the club would enjoy a fine season, maybe even go one better than its grand final appearance last year.
It had strength (few NRL clubs had as powerful a force as the Warriors props Ben Matulino, Russell Packer, Sam Rapira and Jacob Lillyman) and depth; they told everyone who would listen that they were a "development" team, bringing through their own players instead of relying on salary cap-cracking Australians.
In their recent, rather vague press conference, Warriors owners Eric Watson and Owen Glenn said they'd invest "whatever it takes" over the next five years in initiatives designed to take the club and rugby league to "levels never seen before"; Watson said their goal was to make the Warriors the most successful club in the NRL and the most successful franchise in Australasia.

Uh, guys, there's just one little thing. Your team looks like Long John Silver's leg. The wooden one. The "most successful franchise in Australasia" might just have to win the NRL first.
So what's gone wrong this season? It's been puzzling - and don't give me that injuries hoo-ha; all NRL sides suffer from bad injury runs at some time or other in this marathon, relentless series - and coach Brian McClennan has looked increasingly uncomfortable and at a loss to explain his side's ability to switch off so alarmingly and lose matches.
THERE ARE probably three inter-related reasons - the change in coaching; an over-balancing in the development of a development team; and maybe too much emphasis on commercial rather than football urgencies, as in the voluntary loss of Krisnan Inu. All have affected confidence.
McClennan is facing his sternest test as a coach. He's had a long honeymoon, has "Bluey". Predecessor Ivan Cleary was regularly dragged off, metaphorically speaking, by angry mobs and hung from a pohutukawa tree. Yet McClennan, the hero of the Kiwis Tri Nations win of 2005, seems somehow exempt, profiting perhaps from the 'good old boy', 'one of us', syndrome.
Cleary, admittedly over a period of years and with some hiccups, gave the Warriors structure and balance. His six years saw the Warriors reach the finals three times; the best record of any Warriors coach. The club could have kept him but, faced with an offer from Penrith that would have required heavy investment, they let him go, with McClennan waiting in the wings.
The latter's critics have said that he is primarily a motivational coach; that when the motivation runs thin, there isn't much else in the tank. An example? Manu Vatuvei's promotion to captain last night against Manly.
There is no doubt of Manu's mana; that the players rate him highly and backed up his "follow me" style last night. But as a tactical, guiding, consistent leadership force, Vatuvei brings much less to the table.
To be fair, there weren't many other candidates available - probably only Nathan Friend. But it was a classic McClennan selection; a temporary fix based on emotion and motivation.
The Kiwis triumph of 2005 seems a long time ago now. He won two titles in Britain with Leeds, though his detractors say that was with a team largely built by someone else. McClennan now has to overcome that perception - that he is a motivational coach rather than a scientific one. He's got time on his side but the pressure is building, if Glenn and Watson are to realise their dream.
The club haven't done McClennan many favours. When Cleary and mentor John Hart left, a lot of the football nous went with them. Not that McClennan does not possess same - it's just that it's good to have another pair of objective eyes and ears and football knowledge to balance the commercial goals of the "suits".
AFTER SUCCESS developing players such as Kevin Locke and Shaun Johnson, the club understandably fell in love with its own development strategy.
However, with injuries and a lack of balance in some areas - think centres and wingers - they have been exposed this year. Development players such as Glen Fisiiahi and Omar Slaimankhel have similarly been exposed.
Inu - a winger-fullback-centre - was not only allowed to leave for the Bulldogs, the club paid them to take him. It created a pleasing saving in salaries for next year. Go figure. Inu was pilloried for not being able to curb his wayward ways but he has slotted straight into the Bulldogs' premiership-bidding team. He is scoring tries and kicking goals and, if he still makes the odd mistake that littered his time at the Warriors, it does not change the fact that he is a senior player and a match-winner. He was a "coaching job" - a talented enigma who should have been taken in hand rather than cast off as commercial manoeuvre.
The Warriors have moved to fix the centres problem by bringing in Dane Neilsen next year. But as one asset arrives, another departs. James Maloney will be sorely missed. The little Aussie has been at the beating heart of the Warriors' best moments, a tough little rooster with a tactical awareness that has grown over his time at the club.
He can inspire his team-mates with the lines he runs and his support play; the most inspirational small man Warrior since Stacey Jones. There are doubts his replacement, Thomas Leuluai, will measure up to Maloney's ability.
Having said all that, it is not impossible the Warriors will still make the finals this year. They have the talent - Matulino, Packer, Feleti Mateo, Johnson, Vatuvei, Maloney and Locke (when he's fit) are among the best in the NRL.
But you get the feeling the porch light will burn for a while yet.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/best-of-sport-analysis/news/article.cfm?c_id=1502180&objectid=10822864

African Monkey

First Grade
Only three paragraphs yet wow, so much crap squeezed in.

Matt Johns is a festering pimple on the game. He's managed to link in his head that Kearney is a NZer, the Warriors are based in NZ, therefore he's a future coach. And tried to give it credence by saying 'people in the know'. What the f*ck? The bloke has been out of a job 2 weeks, and there's a guy already here on a two (three?) year deal. It's almost like he wishes Kearney on us, because he's a mud coach and he hates the Warriors with a passion, because he's butthurt about NZ and the Sharks saga. Wasn't us who made you watch, Matty.

I love Geyer but blaming Bluey for our fitness? It's not our fitness in my opinion anyway, it's our lack of leadership and mental application. Same thing is happening to the NZ cricket team and failing to convert 50s into 100s. It's not fitness, it's mental.

I'll go with him on odd appointment, though.

Yup Matty Johns is a f**kwit that's for sure. I remember him saying earlier in the year that the rabbits had signed Ben Te'o for 400k a season while putting that horrible smirk on his face at the same time. Funnily enough, his reason for that sum was hearing from 'people in the know'.

SilentOne

Juniors
"People in the know are saying Kearney won't be out of the coaching game long, that he'll be coaching the New Zealand Warriors," Matty Johns said.
"That's logical. He's a national coach, most of the national team are in the Warriors. I think it would be the next logical appointment, him being the coach of the NZ Warriors," Geyer responded.
"When [current coach] 'Bluey' McClennan was first appointed, I thought it was an odd choice. It just shows, they're very unfit at the moment," Geyer added.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...-jennings--pearce-vs-smith/20120730-gu4m.html

MG's a f**king idiot. I remember him saying at the start of the year that it was a great decision...

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
MG's a f**king idiot. I remember him saying at the start of the year that it was a great decision...

Funny you say that, I actually recall the same thing. I'm sure it was in a RLW.

Geyer is a beauty, I don't take anything he says seriously. He once said he wanted the tough judges on golf carts!!! I'd love a beer with the bloke. I just wouldn't put him on the IC.

But Johns, he can rot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blair

Coach
But Johns, he can rot. He didn't mind NZ when it was providing him with a hotel room to watch others have sex in.

Is the case closed (if there was a case)? Johns is a tv pundit now but I'm wondering whether he might get arrested if he visits NZ?

I doubt it as I recall no charges were laid over the incident. Anyway, like most of his ilk, he was forced into a sabbatical and then came back with more rewards than he had before.

The whole thing's forgotten over here.

vvvrulz

Coach
Anyway, like most of his ilk, he was forced into a sabbatical and then came back with more rewards than he had before.

The whole thing's forgotten over here.

Tony Veitch. Clint Brown. Paul Henry (in Aus).

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
It was hilarious watching how precious Warriors fan got early on in the year when Johns predicted they would miss the 8, hate mail for week after week until the Warriors form dropped off and Johns looked on the money then all of a sudden they dried up

So that has been transformed into "hating New Zealand" now I see :lol:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Tony Veitch. Clint Brown. Paul Henry (in Aus).

Bit harsh on Paul Henry, didn't he just say a woman had a moustache?

I don't mind if Johns picked us to miss the eight. I think I picked us to finish 6th or 7th myself.

I just think the guy is a c**k. I also believe he picked us to miss the eight and to lose certain matches solely based on his butthurt against NZ. Every week on the DT website he was busting us about the same old tired crap about 'jungle ball' 'razzle dazzle' etc. He says things to get a reaction, and doesn't seem to have learnt a thing from the grossly unfair media treatment he went through. Same with Veitch, apart from the fact his media treatment was much more deserved.

Iafeta

Referee
It was hilarious watching how precious Warriors fan got early on in the year when Johns predicted they would miss the 8, hate mail for week after week until the Warriors form dropped off and Johns looked on the money then all of a sudden they dried up

So that has been transformed into "hating New Zealand" now I see :lol:

Thats easy to take that comment of Johns' out of context and think Warriors' fans were being precious. That was not his only comment about the Warriors. Watching the first few episodes of NRL on Fox I worried what had got under his goat. Some of the vitriol coming from his mouth was slightly disturbing for Johns - it seemed exceedingly personal. I don't know if he genuinely thought it was good humour, but there are times when Mathew Johns is nothing but a douche, and douches are not funny.

I couldn't care less where people pick the Warriors to run. But Johns went about 30 levels above that.

Micistm

Bench
Thats easy to take that comment of Johns' out of context and think Warriors' fans were being precious. That was not his only comment about the Warriors. Watching the first few episodes of NRL on Fox I worried what had got under his goat. Some of the vitriol coming from his mouth was slightly disturbing for Johns - it seemed exceedingly personal. I don't know if he genuinely thought it was good humour, but there are times when Mathew Johns is nothing but a douche, and douches are not funny.

I couldn't care less where people pick the Warriors to run. But Johns went about 30 levels above that.

Yeah I go along with that. He's chilled out a lot since, it was only that early episode or two he really got stuck in something chronic. Maybe he meant it to be funny...no one would know for sure, but he just came across as bitter and a complete nob. But either he realised himself and toned it down, or someone took him aside and suggested it...but a couple of episodes later it was funny again, as was the letters flowing in from this side of the ditch, and it all seems good natured again.

As for these theories of theirs...they can discuss these things all they like, doesn't bother me in the slightest. As does predicting we won't make the eight. Gus Gould said we would be wooden spooners in 2011 (which I don't recall him mentioning again)- If they had any sense they'd use this stuff for motivation. At this stage, Matty seems pretty accurate there with that one. Stick it on the wall, and do a last push to prove him wrong!:lol: