What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keating Gone?

Fast Eddie

First Grade
To be fair Im very surprised at how well he is going after what I read about him on this forum. Has a very useful running and kicking game and is a pretty useful defender. Sounded like he was speed bump before he came over here.

Bazal

Post Whore
He was never a bad defender IMO...underrated in that regard I thought.

Last edited:

lzd

Juniors
I'd like to add my vote to the "Keating gone who cares" pile.

The value for money argument doesn't wash with me. He's surplus to requirements and therefore wasted cash no matter how much we spend on him. Robson is a perfect fit for our team at half - he showed that last season in the run into finals. Mortimer is our chief playmaker, ably supported by a ball playing lock in Mateo and one of the best attacking fullbacks in the game in Hayne, both of whom have the ability to chime in. Too many cooks spoil the broth - another playmaker at halfback is not essential and robson makes a lot of tackles and does a decent job of distributing the ball. And MK is an 80 minute player. I don't see a need for KK in that mix and would prefer a genuine impact dummy half on the bench to replicate Kingston's role of last year.

Mateo on the other hand has plenty of years left in him which is important when you look at the age of guys like Hindmarsh and Cayless. He hasn't played as well as he did pre-injury but I'm sure he's still got it in him and is well worth the gamble given his ceilng. Keating's ceiling I think we've seen already and its not that impressive.

I put our slow start largely down to Dan Mortimer. Far from calling for his head - I think its a combination of 1) having securing his future, 2) poor completions putting increased pressure on the chief playmaker and 3) classic second year syndrome. I have no doubt he will bounce back and is just in a bit of a lull. Once he does, you'll be surprised how well the rest of the side clicks into gear.

A matter of fact guys.
The bulldogs supporters do not want him.
I don't believe bulldogs supporters have been texting parra supporters to say - we've got him. You are in that dream again.
Dogs supporters want Barba atm.
Another short arrse is what is needed at dogs.
The dogs need some big forwards.
But in saying all of this I am sure the dogs will sign him. They were interested in him since around may last year.
You can have him - bred not bought.

lingard

Coach
I'd like to add my vote to the "Keating gone who cares" pile.

The value for money argument doesn't wash with me. He's surplus to requirements and therefore wasted cash no matter how much we spend on him. Robson is a perfect fit for our team at half - he showed that last season in the run into finals. Mortimer is our chief playmaker, ably supported by a ball playing lock in Mateo and one of the best attacking fullbacks in the game in Hayne, both of whom have the ability to chime in. Too many cooks spoil the broth - another playmaker at halfback is not essential and robson makes a lot of tackles and does a decent job of distributing the ball. And MK is an 80 minute player. I don't see a need for KK in that mix and would prefer a genuine impact dummy half on the bench to replicate Kingston's role of last year.

Mateo on the other hand has plenty of years left in him which is important when you look at the age of guys like Hindmarsh and Cayless. He hasn't played as well as he did pre-injury but I'm sure he's still got it in him and is well worth the gamble given his ceilng. Keating's ceiling I think we've seen already and its not that impressive.

I put our slow start largely down to Dan Mortimer. Far from calling for his head - I think its a combination of 1) having securing his future, 2) poor completions putting increased pressure on the chief playmaker and 3) classic second year syndrome. I have no doubt he will bounce back and is just in a bit of a lull. Once he does, you'll be surprised how well the rest of the side clicks into gear.

If I was Daniel Anderson, this is exactly how I would be seeing things right now. You`ve said it all.

Bazal

Post Whore
I love that people are willing to put ALL their faith in one untested half, and discard an equally or more talented, equally untested half in the process. If Keating hadn't broken his jaw, I doubt we'd have seen Mortimer at all last year. Jeez some of our fans are on a totally different planet.

Robson is a stop gap, these two are the future (unless we shop outside the club, of course)

Dymock

Juniors
Well at the end of the season we should buy Hodkinson back if we can. I think we signed Robson on a two-year deal (?) but I'd let him go when that ends. For now I'd really like to see KK get a proper run. Its like we're hedging our bets with Robson. But people have forgotten really quickly how well Keating played at half after Finch left.

Delboy

First Grade
Hodkinson and KK were groomed as NRL 6 & 7, thanks in part to supercoach that was broken up.

Would love to see him back, but difficult to see the Beagles letting Hodko out of their grasp, they sold him on an opportunity, something we did not do

Avenger

Immortal
Hodkinson and KK were groomed as NRL 6 & 7, thanks in part to supercoach that was broken up.

Would love to see him back, but difficult to see the Beagles letting Hodko out of their grasp, they sold him on an opportunity, something we did not do

Maybe so however nobody expected Mortimer to come on so well. Delboy, I look forward to your posts, I really do, they are insightful and interesting but you seem to discount Mortimer. Why is that mate ?

By the way I heard from a usually reliable source at the Dogs that KK has agreed to terms with them.

hindy111

Post Whore
A matter of fact guys.
The bulldogs supporters do not want him.
I don't believe bulldogs supporters have been texting parra supporters to say - we've got him. You are in that dream again.
Dogs supporters want Barba atm.
Another short arrse is what is needed at dogs.
The dogs need some big forwards.
But in saying all of this I am sure the dogs will sign him. They were interested in him since around may last year.
You can have him - bred not bought.

Well i got 2 seperate sms's... I replied i follow a team-You follow a jersey:crazy:

Glenn

First Grade
Smells like BS considering 9 pages and no confirmation, also no media reports...next

Jodeci

Bench
Maybe so however nobody expected Mortimer to come on so well. Delboy, I look forward to your posts, I really do, they are insightful and interesting but you seem to discount Mortimer. Why is that mate ?

By the way I heard from a usually reliable source at the Dogs that KK has agreed to terms with them.

Your source is right on the money

I can't help but think that all these contract negotiations are affecting are on field performances.

I don't want to start up about Keating... But what I will say again is

Albert Kelly
Tim Smith
K Keating
Trent Hodkinson

Some of the best freakn half back talent and we have lost them all.

And what the hell are we left with?? JEFF ROBSON!!

Sorry guys but no half back no premiership. What I will guarantee is is one of those boys will win a comp with their respective teams, ex parra players always do.

Glenn

First Grade
If you think Kelly is a talent, good luck. Potential to be one yes, but has to learn the game is not all about attack.

Tim Smith, problems were well documented and the club supported him as much as they could, before deciding it was in the best interests to move on.

Latest posts