What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keating/Kingston

TheRam

Coach
Kinga sh*ts all over MK. He is way to pedestrian and not a great passer of the ball.

caylo

Bench
Kinga sh*ts all over MK. He is way to pedestrian and not a great passer of the ball.

I dont get this... TBH I think Keating runs better from dumby half, his passing game is pretty good (it did take him a while to click with robson thou) and his kicking game from dumby half is very good (allows us another option).

I think Kinga did outplay Matt earlier thsi year but in the last month or so Matt has improved 100 fold and played very well with Robson.

MINI

Juniors
Am really hoping we can work something out for Kinga, has been a revelation since coming into the team, a real rugged defender and great service from dummy half, would be a GREAT pick up for another team...

TheRam

Coach
I dont get this... TBH I think Keating runs better from dumby half, his passing game is pretty good (it did take him a while to click with robson thou) and his kicking game from dumby half is very good (allows us another option).

I think Kinga did outplay Matt earlier thsi year but in the last month or so Matt has improved 100 fold and played very well with Robson.

I only see what you are saying in patches from him. To be honest, the best that I have seen him play is when his brother is on the field with him. It is like they have there own little rivalry going on, which is good. But I am not convinced that he is up to it consistently. His passing game is misdirected or slow while he drifts in or out of games. This may be due to fatigue or lack of concentration. Time will tell, but if I had to make the call now and with the cash that is at stake I would be going with Kingston.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I guess its another opportunity to polarize opinion amongst us all.
One 40/20 kick in recent memory in my mind does not make Keating a preferred option.
From what I see, the tempo of the Parramatta attack increases every time Kingston takes the field.
Its Kingston every time for me.

The Colonel

Immortal
I think that the combo has been very important for us in recent weeks and am more than happy with how it works at the moment.

born an eel

Bench
MK has taken some very bad options on the last quite a few times this year and will need to prove he can count.

You also have to remember that Kingston comes on at the back of the half when teams are starting to tire so has more room than the early minutes.

caylo

Bench
MK has taken some very bad options on the last quite a few times this year and will need to prove he can count.

You also have to remember that Kingston comes on at the back of the half when teams are starting to tire so has more room than the early minutes.

I see what you are saying here... there has been a few times like that in recent matchs, I do prefer MK running from dummby half over Kingas TBH, he always make 10-15 meters and catch markers out which tells me he runs at the right times. MK has kicked 1 40/20 and been close a few other times this year, but even not considering his 40/20 his kicking game is far superior to Kingas and he does take pressure of the halves with that ability.

I can see MK being very much a Smith type player (not saying he will be anywhere near as good - just a similar game). MK defence is also superior to Kingas but MK does have alot of improving to go in his game but he is very young still.

Blue Bagger 66

Juniors
I think it'll come down to we can afford one 55-75K top 25 contract for either Tim Smith, Jeff Robson or Kevin Kingston.

I'd rather have Kingston or Robson than Smith to be honest, and I guess because Mitchell has re-signed, we need a half more than a hooker.

Kinsgton or Robson should be able to get 80K-ish on the market, but if either were willing to sign for another year with us now, I'd do it. Tim and his manager can find a deal elsewhere, unless they've locked it in already and Tim is keen to pay us back what many feel he owes us (contract money and performance wise).

The great tragedy in all of this is that it clearly demonstrates how much our beloved "game" has now turned 100% into a "business". Tim Smith may get a spot in the top squad at the expense of either (or both) Kinga or Robbo. That's the same Tim Smith (as gifted a footballer as he is) who showed an utter disregard to Parramatta fans (and NRL fans in general), the Parramatta club and the game of rugby league on more than one occasion by carrying on like an absolute twat... so why would Parra give him another shot? Because he can be a match winner on his day. Because they'll sell lots of number 7 jerseys... gain more sponsors... get more press etc... in other words raise more revenue... the stuff that keeps football clubs afloat. Unfortunately for themselves blokes like Kinga and Robbo don't gain that much media attention... sure they'll make 40 tackles a game and give 110% for the jersey, make themselves available to the fans for autographs etc but at the end of the day blokes like Tim Smith (throw in Todd Carney as well) ride off into the sunset with a contract and blokes like Kinga, Robbo and Kirk Reynoldson (to name a few) get day jobs and play park footy... most with families to support. Maybe I'm just bitter because I saw what the business side of football did to my fathers career (and grandfathers legacy) at Newtown... or maybe I'm just sick of the minority taking the game and its fans for granted. I mean throw in the Craig Wing situation... he invested poorly and the Souths "fans" pay the price... how the f*ck does that work? What CEO's sadly don't understand is that the true lovers of this game appreciate the "roll your sleeves up" type players like Kinga, Robbo, Luke Stuart, Alan Tongue etc... or "franchise" players like Hindy, Steve Simpson and Beaver Menzies... unfortunately they are the dying breed... they want brand names and sponsor friendly types like Slater, Thurston, Inglis and Stewart etc... what they don't realise is that its the "toilers" that make these blokes look good... but sadly as fans we are the last people in the world that rugby league CEO's and player managers give a toss about...

Enough said... Parra by 20 tomorrow and both Kinga and Robbo to kick ass!

Eels Dude

Coach
Our best years in the NRL recently have been when we've had a solid dummy half and back up to. Drew and PJ in '01, and Riddell and PJ in '05

lingard

Coach

Absolutely. Keating has improved outa sight. It would be great to keep both Kingston and Robson in my opinion. It would be difficult to choose between the two. I think they are about equal. Maybe Robson edges him out, only because he has more game time. I like the rotation between Kingston and Keating. And they can both stay on the field after Kingston comes on. And this Anthony Mitchell. Everyone is saying how good he is going to be. But no-one really knows. Everyone looks for the next big super star. I`d rather keep Kingston and Keating. I`m sure they`ll both be better next year too.

lingard

Coach
The great tragedy in all of this is that it clearly demonstrates how much our beloved "game" has now turned 100% into a "business". Tim Smith may get a spot in the top squad at the expense of either (or both) Kinga or Robbo. That's the same Tim Smith (as gifted a footballer as he is) who showed an utter disregard to Parramatta fans (and NRL fans in general), the Parramatta club and the game of rugby league on more than one occasion by carrying on like an absolute twat... so why would Parra give him another shot? Because he can be a match winner on his day. Because they'll sell lots of number 7 jerseys... gain more sponsors... get more press etc... in other words raise more revenue... the stuff that keeps football clubs afloat. Unfortunately for themselves blokes like Kinga and Robbo don't gain that much media attention... sure they'll make 40 tackles a game and give 110% for the jersey, make themselves available to the fans for autographs etc but at the end of the day blokes like Tim Smith (throw in Todd Carney as well) ride off into the sunset with a contract and blokes like Kinga, Robbo and Kirk Reynoldson (to name a few) get day jobs and play park footy... most with families to support. Maybe I'm just bitter because I saw what the business side of football did to my fathers career (and grandfathers legacy) at Newtown... or maybe I'm just sick of the minority taking the game and its fans for granted. I mean throw in the Craig Wing situation... he invested poorly and the Souths "fans" pay the price... how the f*ck does that work? What CEO's sadly don't understand is that the true lovers of this game appreciate the "roll your sleeves up" type players like Kinga, Robbo, Luke Stuart, Alan Tongue etc... or "franchise" players like Hindy, Steve Simpson and Beaver Menzies... unfortunately they are the dying breed... they want brand names and sponsor friendly types like Slater, Thurston, Inglis and Stewart etc... what they don't realise is that its the "toilers" that make these blokes look good... but sadly as fans we are the last people in the world that rugby league CEO's and player managers give a toss about...

Enough said... Parra by 20 tomorrow and both Kinga and Robbo to kick ass!

Absolutely well said. And I`ve got a horrible feeling that`s why we bought Timana Tahu. And to hear rumours of us going after Thurston in a year or two. I don`t know - why don`t we just ask the NRL how much they want for the J.J. Giltenen Shield and be done with it?
I know Parramatta has not been very big in the player market for some considerable time but, you know, I kinda like that.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Our best years in the NRL recently have been when we've had a solid dummy half and back up to. Drew and PJ in '01, and Riddell and PJ in '05

Agreed totally. We need a great dummy half and a good backup. Kinga and Robbo would run riot behind a forward pack of Poore, Cayless, FFMM, Shackelton and Hindy. I get chills just thinking about it.

Eels Dude

Coach
Agreed totally. We need a great dummy half and a good backup. Kinga and Robbo would run riot behind a forward pack of Poore, Cayless, FFMM, Shackelton and Hindy. I get chills just thinking about it.

I actually think MK has done a great job over the past couple of seasons. We've had a rather week forward and he's picking up the slack for that by making 35+ tackles a game whenever needed because the only other guy able to do that is Hindy. He may not be flashy, but I still see him as something in the Cameron Smith or Corey Hughes mould who can be solid without being exceptional, and being a matchwinner if he were able to decrease his workload a bit. And that's something he could do next year with a much better forward pack.

Latest posts