What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keating/Kingston

bartman

Immortal
Depends what contracts the two of them are on now.

If they are on over the 55-75K that we'd have available for the final spare NRL/top 25 contracts, then it would be offensive to offer them less than they are currently on to stay, given they have performed well when called upon.

I actually think Matt Keating had a great game in the first half yesterday, and paved the way to some extent for Kingston to do what he did in the second half...

But I'd happily have both these two making up the remaining spots in my squad again, if they were wanting to stay rather than look around, and happy to sign on for the 55-75K.

lingard

Coach
Maybe in terms of ability, sure...but they both have "dodgy shoulders" so it's a pertinent point. What about Tim Auremi? If the poor kid comes back and wants a start, should we tell him to get bent because of the risk posed by his neck problem? Or even Tahu, are you upset that we signed him with his hammy issues? That's the ludicrous thing here tbh...

Actually, yes, I am very worried about signing Tahu with his hammies. If he came without them I`d be a whole lot happier.

lingard

Coach
Firstly, Robson is not a creative attacking half-back. There is little doubt that Kris Keating is a better option in terms of his running ablity and his attacking flair. However, after watching the last few games in particular, I`m thinking that if Robson`s not in the team, by gee we miss out on a lot of high quality defensive work.
The other thing is that, with Mortimer coming along so well, and with Mateo back next year, and with Tahu in the backline (if he stays healthy), maybe we don`t need such an attacking dynamo at half.
I`ve also been wondering, as have some others, whether Robson couldn`t play hooker or 5/8 or even as a defensive lock. He`s shown that he`s durable. He`s shown that he can take criticism and improve. I`d re-sign him in a flash, actually.
Kingston, too. I think the rotation between Keating and Kingston works a treat. And I don`t think Kingston`s better than Keating. I`ve been very imp[ressed with Matt Keating - particularly over the past three weeks.

caylo

Bench
Firstly, Robson is not a creative attacking half-back. There is little doubt that Kris Keating is a better option in terms of his running ablity and his attacking flair. However, after watching the last few games in particular, I`m thinking that if Robson`s not in the team, by gee we miss out on a lot of high quality defensive work.
The other thing is that, with Mortimer coming along so well, and with Mateo back next year, and with Tahu in the backline (if he stays healthy), maybe we don`t need such an attacking dynamo at half.
I`ve also been wondering, as have some others, whether Robson couldn`t play hooker or 5/8 or even as a defensive lock. He`s shown that he`s durable. He`s shown that he can take criticism and improve. I`d re-sign him in a flash, actually.
Kingston, too. I think the rotation between Keating and Kingston works a treat. And I don`t think Kingston`s better than Keating. I`ve been very imp[ressed with Matt Keating - particularly over the past three weeks.

Kris Keating is also a very good defender and yes Robson is a much better defender I am not picking a halfback for that reason, KK can break the line and has a much better kicking game (which can be of much more importance defencivly).

If everyone pulls there weight we should not have a problem, Mortimer isnt as good a defender as KK and he has been fine so I dont have to much problem with KK being brought back in.

Eels Dude

Coach
On another note, who will be our backup halfback if either KK or Robson, or both are injured next year. Kelly is gone, and if Robson is too unless we sign someone what other options in the juniors of at Wenty do we have?

caylo

Bench
On another note, who will be our backup halfback if either KK or Robson, or both are injured next year. Kelly is gone, and if Robson is too unless we sign someone what other options in the juniors of at Wenty do we have?

Well Mateo can always fill the 5-8 role and have either Mortimer or Keating at halfback if the other gets injured. Mitchell is more a hooker but can fill in the halves (has before) or we could move Reddy or Burt into 5-8 if needed but they would have to be accompanied by Keating or Mortimer IMO.

ATM we need to sign a backup and I guess that why so many were looking at Timmy. There are a few option atm but lets just cross our fingers that these kids dont go down with any injuries.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Everyone talks about MK's potential. Well guess what, Kingston has potential - Potential to be one of the best hookers in the world. I second any memo to DA re signing Kingston. He is a GUN!

donkeywong

Juniors
Kinga, yes, Robbo, not if we can get someone else. Kinga is a good little bench hooker, provides the impact after Keats does the tough stuff early. Robbo just hasn't got the attacking game to be more than a bloke you call on in desperate times.
never understood why sharks let kinga go??

parraeelz

Juniors
watched him close up in the stands he was terrorising dogs defence
keeps em guessing all night long
good work kinga

Stagger eel

Staff member
it will be a tragedy to lose him after what he's achieved at his short time at the club but I can assure everyone that once Anthony Mitchell makes his firstgrade debut you'd understand why the decision was made to release him.

ianlovesparra

Juniors
Would love to keep Kingston, but as stagger said the coaching staff have mitchell in their plans. Hope he lives up to the hype, because Kinga is killing it atm and would be ashame to see him go well at another club when parra had the opportunity to keep him.

Any news on who the two 50-75k players are stagger?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Would love to keep Kingston, but as stagger said the coaching staff have mitchell in their plans. Hope he lives up to the hype, because Kinga is killing it atm and would be ashame to see him go well at another club when parra had the opportunity to keep him.

Any news on who the two 50-75k players are stagger?

no..and it wouldn't surprise me if DA doesn't make a decision until very late in the year..

Latest posts