What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ken Conway Says Goodbye (from the club - not to Joey)

Risa

Bench
Ken Conway Says Goodbye

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/absolutenm/templates/mediareleases.asp?articleid=1072&zoneid=1

Monday, 16 April 2007 - Newcastle Knights

Ken Conway has parted ways with the Newcastle Knights after more than five years at the helm.

Structural changes within the organisation over the last 12 months have seen the CEO position altered considerably, due to a shift in responsibility for Sponsorship, Marketing and other Commercial areas to Wests Group, under the Knights / Wests partnership agreement.

Mr Conway returned from leave last week to work through a handover with the Knights Executive Committee before officially parting company with the club.

“Ken has been an extremely devoted CEO, he leaves the club in great shape and has guided the Knights through difficult times,” said Chairman, Peter Corcoran OAM.

“Under his leadership the club’s finances have returned to the black. Full time football staff numbers have grown from six to 16 and we’re now in a financial position to retain our valuable juniors.”

“Sponsorship and corporate income has grown by 64 percent with overall income up by 54 percent and the club has just returned a profit of more than $800,000.

“We wish Ken the very best for the next step in his career.”

Mr Conway said he leaves the Knights with many fond memories and friendships that will last a lifetime.

“It’s been a privilege to work with a great club, members, staff and a terrific group of sponsors. I’m looking forward to attending matches as spectator intent on enjoying watching the development of our current crop of young stars,” he said.

“With Wests now responsible for the commercial aspects of the business it’s an appropriate time for me to take my career in another direction and I’m excited about the prospects that exist in today’s commercial environment. I’m happy to be leaving knowing the club is geared for the future.”

For the time being Operations Manager, Stephen Crowe will assume a Senior Manager’s role supported by a Senior Executive Team consisting of Financial Controller, Phillip Blackford and Media & Communications Manager, Stephen Mount.

Ken Conway has parted ways with the Newcastle Knights after more than five years at the helm.

Structural changes within the organisation over the last 12 months have seen the CEO position altered considerably, due to a shift in responsibility for Sponsorship, Marketing and other Commercial areas to Wests Group, under the Knights / Wests partnership agreement.

Mr Conway returned from leave last week to work through a handover with the Knights Executive Committee before officially parting company with the club.

“Ken has been an extremely devoted CEO, he leaves the club in great shape and has guided the Knights through difficult times,” said Chairman, Peter Corcoran OAM.

“Under his leadership the club’s finances have returned to the black. Full time football staff numbers have grown from six to 16 and we’re now in a financial position to retain our valuable juniors.”

“Sponsorship and corporate income has grown by 64 percent with overall income up by 54 percent and the club has just returned a profit of more than $800,000.

Mr Conway said he leaves the Knights with many fond memories and friendships that will last a lifetime.

“It’s been a privilege to work with a great club, members, staff and a terrific group of sponsors. I’m looking forward to attending matches as spectator intent on enjoying watching the development of our current crop of young stars,” he said.

“With Wests now responsible for the commercial aspects of the business it’s an appropriate time for me to take my career in another direction and I’m excited about the prospects that exist in today’s commercial environment. I’m happy to be leaving knowing the club is geared for the future.”

For the time being Operations Manager, Stephen Crowe will assume a Senior Manager’s role supported by a Senior Executive Team consisting of Financial Controller, Phillip Blackford and Media & Communications Manager, Stephen Mount.

roopy

Referee
full time football staff up from 6 to 16 - that is a good thing if we get value for money from all of them.

Smithtown

Coach
I was looking around for a relevant thread to place some marketing/promotions news in and came across this one - well the marketing bit is sort of relevant - I think.

I am involved in a Junior Rugby League Club a long way from Knights territory. We are in an AFL state and as such struggle - big time - every year to fill teams and keep the kiddies in the game.

During the off-season I wrote to all 16 NRL clubs for some help - nothing grand - just a few old stickers etc... that I could hand out to the kids when they front with their rego fees for the year to keep them happy and interested.

Half the NRL clubs didn't bother replying in any way, whilst many said they only supported kiddies in their own local area - which is fair enough. Two clubs also sent a few minor items which was still much appreciated.

Two clubs however took the time to actually write to me seeing what I actually wanted, and then gave over a stack of merchandise - all obsolete and from previous years but exactly what I had hoped for.

The Newcastle Knights were one of those two clubs, and I can't say enough pleasant things about their attitude and genuine interest in our club and our plight. The actual community spirit of Rugby League is often talked about but rarely shown. In the case of Newcastle that isn't the case - they have the greater interest at heart.

So thanks to those at the marketing dept at Newcastle who put a few smiles on a few kiddies faces - and hopefully that will turn those kiddies into Knights supporters of the future.

macavity

Referee
that is awesome to hear.

you make sure they turn into Knights supporters - you owe it to the kids... ;-)

Ben

Bench
I really don't understand why clubs don't put some more investment into the grassroots of the game. Sure, many clubs don't pay too much attention to junior rugby league unless it is within their local jurisdictions, but sending a couple of stickers isn't much of a demand.

But great to hear that the Knights are helping out the grassroots. Because AFL is doing this really well and have invested millions into their junior development system. The NRL should be following suit or risk many young promising players switching codes to play AFL and lose their junior fan base.

AdamT

Juniors
Risa said:
Ken Conway Says Goodbye

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/absolutenm/templates/mediareleases.asp?articleid=1072&zoneid=1

Sounds like he did a wonderful job in the past 5 years? See we / the Knights awlays let go of their great players. Dont know why they had to pay the alleged $250,000 to make him leave. Why didnt they beg him to say?

Latest posts