What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kicker?

LeagueNut

First Grade
Maloney is much more assured of a first grade spot than Inu is at the moment.

Plus Brett Seymour is another backup kicker I think.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Inu will be straight in if fit. You dont pay that kinda money for a park player. He is also anaccomplished kicker which is also why he was purchased wasn't it?
Buster is a great kicker better than Locke from what I saw, but will he get a start?

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Hopefully it doesn't come down to Hohaia with the kicking duties, for once we actually have 3-4 kickers who could all be front line kickers if they were at different clubs.

Damarky

Juniors
Hohaia
Inu/Fish/Locke
Moon
Ropati
Vatuvei
Maloney
Seymour
Packer
Heremaia
Rapira
Mateo
Mannering
Luck

Berrigan
Lillyman
Matulino
Ta'ai/Brown

Out of this squad I would have
1. Maloney
2. Locke
3. Inu
4. Lance
5. Seymour

Based on what I have seen however I would prefer this:

If I was Ivan I would of had/have intease kicking comps under major pressure over a period of days/weeks in different types of conditions to see who who is the best overall and second to that who is the best in different areas of the field.
eg If we get a Penalty between the 40/50 to the left choose the person that can make the kick 9/10 under the conditions they trained in (cross wind). Another example is chosing the right kicker when we score out on Manu's wing dont choose the overall best kicker choose the best kicker from wide out on his side. Simple Really
Dont let Pride get in the way, Play to Win and take points on offer!

So what I am trying to see we could end up using two or three kickers depending on the situation and whos on the field at the time.

Same theory should be used with positional kicks like 40/20 when we are able to stick with the plan. (choose the best kicker for the type of kick you know you might end of with on the 5th tackle)

But this is already happening right? ;-)

What do I know I only watch the game sorry for the long post.

Martli

Coach
Hohaia
Inu/Fish/Locke
Moon
Ropati
Vatuvei
Maloney
Seymour
Packer
Heremaia
Rapira
Mateo
Mannering
Luck

Berrigan
Lillyman
Matulino
Ta'ai/Brown

1. Maloney
2. Locke
3. Inu
4. Lance
5. Seymour

If I was Ivan I would of had/have intease kicking comps under major pressure over a period of days/weeks in different types of conditions to see who who is the best overall and second to that who is the best in different areas of the field.
eg If we get a Penalty between the 40/50 to the left choose the person that can make the kick 9/10 under the conditions they trained in (cross wind). Another example is chosing the right kicker when we score out on Manu's wing dont choose the overall best kicker choose the best kicker from wide out on his side. Simple Really

So what I am trying to see we could end up using two or three kickers depending on the situation and whos on the field at the time.

Same theory should be used with positional kicks like 40/20 when we are able to stick with the plan. (choose the best kicker for the type of kick you know you might end of with on the 5th tackle)

No need to apologise for the long post, and welcome to the forum!

hitman82

Bench
Hohaia
Inu/Fish/Locke
Moon
Ropati
Vatuvei
Maloney
Seymour
Packer
Heremaia
Rapira
Mateo
Mannering
Luck

Berrigan
Lillyman
Matulino
Ta'ai/Brown

1. Maloney
2. Locke
3. Inu
4. Lance
5. Seymour

Welcome.

I like the idea of choosing between kickers based on their personal strengths in relation to the task at hand.

However, presuming we have Maloney, Seymour, Inu playing (as I expect we will) I think you'd find Maloney and Inu would both dominate Seymour from all angles and conditions.

Then I expect the difference between Inu and Maloney would be very small, to the point that you'd just choose one or the other for all kicks. Probably Maloney.

It may be a different case if we had say Moon, as a lefty, trained to kick goals - the difference between and lefty and a right foot kicker could be pretty big.

I may have mis-understood your post entirely though. It's Friday, I shouldn't have to think.:crazy:

Either way, with 11.Mateo 4. Ropati 5. Vatuvei... you know where all the goal kicks are going to be taken from haha

Last edited:

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Inu will be straight in if fit. You dont pay that kinda money for a park player. He is also anaccomplished kicker which is also why he was purchased wasn't it?
Buster is a great kicker better than Locke from what I saw, but will he get a start?

Haha, we could have said that about Denan Kemp and look where that got us!

1MTDaz

Juniors
Maloney is a far better goal kicker than inu imo. Would be interested to see sum stats tho.

Im not at all convinced that Inu should be considered at all
He doesnt even warrant a 1st Grade start at this point
I know he was expensive but whats more expensive to us as a club is losing games not salaries for the year - So Vulcans for me until he picks up his attiude
I love Maloney as our Goal Kicker those stats arent bad for his first season
He will improve - Im not feeling Inu already and that scares me. Mateo however will be a great signing, He belongs in this team (fits better than Inu)

playdaball

Bench
If based on kicking ability alone (for goal):

1, Inu
2, Maloney
3, Seymour

then way back
4, Locke
5, Lance

Latest posts