What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Gutho linked to Dragons

denis preston

First Grade
Look for Holmes at fullback and Allen at left centre if we have everyone available in 2025.
Sloan needs time in the KOE Cup to fine tune and toughen his game up several notches.
Not to mention the need to cut back on the errors.
Think he will continue to be a work in progress next year.
One thing Gutho would do is help get our defensive structures in order.
Gutho comes across as someone who would be ruthless in his approach to cut back on our at times insipid defensive efforts.
Doesn’t matter about defense structures when we have backs that get beaten on one to one all the time.

denis preston

First Grade
Look for Holmes at fullback and Allen at left centre if we have everyone available in 2025.
Sloan needs time in the KOE Cup to fine tune and toughen his game up several notches.
Not to mention the need to cut back on the errors.
Think he will continue to be a work in progress next year.
One thing Gutho would do is help get our defensive structures in order.
Gutho comes across as someone who would be ruthless in his approach to cut back on our at times insipid defensive efforts.
How much is this Gutho thing going to cost us? Surely anything over400k for a busted on the spiral player is overs?

Dragon David

First Grade
I cannot for the life of me work out why we are not chasing a speedy back who can be a game changer. We need speed and we need players who can dictate the running of games and be game changers to help our attack and because of the speed they have, defend well and quickly. The game now is based on speed and power and that is what the club should be aiming to achieve with the squad.

Gutho has plenty of experience but his legs won't last too much longer so is he worth pursuing?

VodkaSaint

Juniors
I cannot for the life of me work out why we are not chasing a speedy back who can be a game changer. We need speed and we need players who can dictate the running of games and be game changers to help our attack and because of the speed they have, defend well and quickly. The game now is based on speed and power and that is what the club should be aiming to achieve with the squad.

Gutho has plenty of experience but his legs won't last too much longer so is he worth pursuing?
After watching him get dusted by Sailor, Big no from me

VodkaSaint

Juniors
what about that titans winger on the weekend he beat three players down the sideline
stopped and had a cup of tea then beat a couple more to score under the posts.
well mabye a slight exaggeration but you know what i mean.Both our wingers would have
been tackled on our twenty metre line.
well if tight arse Flannagan dont sigh Max and pays a little extra maybe we can buy this dude

Illusion

Bench

possm

Coach
We need younger players the future stars. Our SG Ball is going well. Maybe Flanno is going for older players atm to tide us over until they are ready?
We need a smart recruitment/retention manager who can manage a team. He needs to plan for the future by mapping the progression of the young starts and filling the gaps with experienced first graders. Doing this while keeping under the salary cap.

Any takers?

possm

Coach
We need a 3rd half in our Top30, but I would be shocked if Gutho was in our budget, unless he thinks he has a few years left in him if he moves into 6 or 7.. noting that Gutho turns 30 next month.
We could afford a new top of the line halfback if we let Hunt go and used his salary to pay for the new halfback.

It should always be like for like or better!

Dragon David

First Grade
the last 2 players we had that could go coast to coast was B. Morris and Dufty ........ we would have to be the slowest team in the comp .......
Sadly, I agree with you Illusion. With the current set up of the Rules to make the game faster, having players who are speedy, fit and tireless would be the key to winning a lot of games. The Sharks just pissed all over us for most of the game last weekend because they had speed to burn and there are a number of other teams with players who can run from coast to coast and score.

This is why we need several players in our squad to have pace - and I would like to say electrifying pace that excites the innards in me. Having players who can excite the fans makes for really wanting to see them play and of course win us games.

sammymills

Juniors
Sadly, I agree with you Illusion. With the current set up of the Rules to make the game faster, having players who are speedy, fit and tireless would be the key to winning a lot of games. The Sharks just pissed all over us for most of the game last weekend because they had speed to burn and there are a number of other teams with players who can run from coast to coast and score.

This is why we need several players in our squad to have pace - and I would like to say electrifying pace that excites the innards in me. Having players who can excite the fans makes for really wanting to see them play and of course win us games.
i dont know why everyone says this. The sharks fowards are way bigger than ours. Hunt, Kaufusi, Hamlin Uele, That tall bald bloke ran straight over the top of us. Royce Hunt in particular was having a field day. We have no one like that.

TheRev

Coach
We could afford a new top of the line halfback if we let Hunt go and used his salary to pay for the new halfback.

It should always be like for like or better!
It's a precarious situation.. unless there is a huge plot-twist coming.. it looks like Flanno wants to run with Hunt for 2025.. one more year.. which gives him a chance to spread the net properly.. and thoroughly... and see what he can come up with for 2026.. because once Hunt has an end-date, Flanno can genuinely try to tempt players further up the food chain with a guaranteed first grade gig.. and hopefully a better looking roster and pack to entice them with.

It is possible he buys an Ilias or a Pezet (I doubt we get him though) with 12mths to develop them in our system first.. but I just cant see Flanno parting with 500-600k numbers for a reserve halfback.. I dont think he wants to rush this decision.

But I think we can afford to lose Hunt if we wanted too now.. we have some respectable marquee type players in Cook & Holmes.. and I think ideally he would love say a Gutho @6 to take the pressure off the new halfback.. Hunt could perhaps play 6 but we have had this conversation before.

I dont know of any 'experienced' halfbacks on the market that we're going to be able to sign.. not genuine halves.. I think were gonna have to find someone stuck behind a rep 7, or someone cast-aside prematurely.. I dunno.. I guess thats something we wont know for a while yet.

justadragon

Bench
We need a smart recruitment/retention manager who can manage a team. He needs to plan for the future by mapping the progression of the young starts and filling the gaps with experienced first graders. Doing this while keeping under the salary cap.

Any takers?
We could have had one called Nathan Brown, but the Dragons were too stupid not to entice him over, now he is with Ryles as the A/C