What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kingston's offer to pay to play

TheRam

Coach
What a great example of how things have changed at our club. I can't imagine anything like this happening around 6 months ago, while we had that other bloke in charge.

A player willing to play for peanuts to be part of the club is the ultimate compliment to any organization and really sets the tone for all the team to follow. Kevin Kingston is unbelievable in offering to make such a sacrifice. For someone on so little to start with and then willing to halve it, well I am just speechless.

Kevin Kingston, take a huge bow.

strider

Post Whore
are there still rumours of eric leaving - maybe if we get up he might and then maybe there'd be a bit for kinga

are there still rumours of eric leaving - maybe if we get up he might and then maybe there'd be a bit for kinga

That's the biggest thing that stood out for me in this article: Grothe talking about a pay cut as if he is still staying next season.

Although, if he was paid out and given a release he could deduct it from that?

Then again, all the speculation of him moving was to financially set himself up so who really knows?

Gronk

Staff member
I serioulsy don't get why 2009 match payments count for our 2010 salary cap. Sounds like the way provisional tax works.

I don't believe that we have any intention in keeping Kinga. Ant Mitchell is the future.

Snoochies

First Grade
Think Hayne has few dollars spare.:sarcasm:

Great story and proud to be an Eels fan. Win or lose on the weekend, we are already winners and the season will be remembered for what the Eels did in 2009, no-one will care if Melbourne wins the comp or not.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
amazing stuff and Guru asking for a pay cut

wonder what $2 million man thinks about this

Delboy

First Grade
Why would you make a comment re a player who is not in the story, not only out of line but stupid. The player mentioned is part of the club, and we should not make any comments re his negotiations etc.

Leave the kid alone, gee we are a fickle lot sometimes, which makes me hope that the players don't read this forum, friggin unnecessary

bartman

Immortal
I agree with Twizzle... personally I'd like to see some of our highest paid players take a similar attitude to teammates that our lower paid ones like Grothe have shown. But I guess that's not to be.

I just don't think it's fair to imply that someone should take a pay cut. It's not classy and it's quite rude actually.

e.g Todd Lowrie is on a 180k a year and for the last 2.5 years has not deserved that much but nobody would ever ask him to take a pay cut because that's the deal he negotiated and he is entitled to that money. Good on him.

If players off there own bat take a pay cut thats awesome but they should not be embarresed into doing it. Jarryd is entitled to earn all the money he can without feeling guilty.

bartman

Immortal
I just don't think it's fair to imply that someone should take a pay cut. It's not classy and it's quite rude actually.
The comment was simply about wondering what someone on much higher pay thinks of this.

I think that's a valid observation rto make on an opinion-based internet forum, and I personally don't think it is rude in the slightest.

Mickyd39

Juniors
I think that comment is out of line.

Agreed.

What the f*ck has Hayne got to do with this story!

Good luck to Hayne.

some so called eel supporters on this forum really need to pull their heads in.

i will bet if we win the GF some people will still find something negative to post.

D*ckheads.

I think it is a bit much for fans to start expecting team members to take sacrifices in their salaries for others.

If Grothe does it, then it is exceptional and amazing.

But to put expectations on others is ridiculous.

Everyone has their own financial situation, plans etc., and ultimately works to look after themselves.

This is their livelihood, it is a relatively short one at that.

So I wish players like Hayne all the best in making as much from it as they can, while they can, so they can set themselves and their families up for comfortable lifestyles when their football career expires with age, or worse through injury.

How many people here with mortgages, rent etc., would take a slice out of their salaries and give it away to a workmate?

While I work with friends, my own financial situation has enough commitment and demnads whereby although I would like to help, I would not be giving money away.

Mickyd39

Juniors
I agree with Twizzle... personally I'd like to see some of our highest paid players take a similar attitude to teammates that our lower paid ones like Grothe have shown. But I guess that's not to be.

would you take a pay cut in your current job to keep a fellow work mate employed?

if you say "yes" you are better man than me.

these players only have a short career in rugby league. they need to make as much as they can in that short time. there are only a handul of players that make enough to set themselves up after their league careers are over.

GO PARRA

Latest posts