What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kingston's offer to pay to play

Gronk

Staff member
I hear what you are saying, but the fault lies within the salary cap system/structure itself, not with the players on the higher end of it (not that this is what you are saying).

Players with huge market value are forever being hunted by other codes, and it will take big bucks (quite often still less than what they can get in these other codes) to keep them in the NRL.

Once clubs have spent this type of money to keep one or two, it is indeed the types of players who suffer.

Was interested to see Gould bring it up on the Roast - just hope the NRL are looking into increasing the cap.

Increasing the cap is not the answer if the increases are not affordable. I would have thought that increasing the minimum wage for first graders would be the step in the right direction. It would leave less in the cap for players like Hayne, Thurston & Lockyer and prevent marquee bracket creep which has been taking place of late.

muznik

Juniors
Ok, Ive got a theory.

Lets say Grothe grabs his guitar and cuts an album. Every Parra supporter goes out & buys 2 or 3 copies ($60-$90). He makes a bit of coin and can afford a reasonable pay cut under the salary cap.

It's income from outside RL and not arranged by the club itself thus not included salary cap ! :sarcasm:

I know what my rellies are getting for XMas !

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Ok, Ive got a theory.

Lets say Grothe grabs his guitar and cuts an album. Every Parra supporter goes out & buys 2 or 3 copies ($60-$90). He makes a bit of coin and can afford a reasonable pay cut under the salary cap.

It's income from outside RL and not arranged by the club itself thus not included salary cap ! :sarcasm:

Even if their music isn't to my liking (and from what I've heard I like his bands), I'd still buy their stuff because it's made by an Eel.

Increasing the cap is not the answer if the increases are not affordable. I would have thought that increasing the minimum wage for first graders would be the step in the right direction. It would leave less in the cap for players like Hayne, Thurston & Lockyer and prevent marquee bracket creep which has been taking place of late.

Increases have to be affordable, no doubt about that.

But I certainly don't see leaving less in the cap for marquee players as the answer.

We will just be waving goodbye to more superstars to Union - be it Australian, French or Japanese; and to ESL.

As so many teams over the years have been investigated for, or speculated to, breaking/have broken the salary cap, to my mind this is proof positive that an increase is affordable.

sooperdooper

First Grade
look it is a great gesture.... kinga is a great little player but the panthers offer would be attractive for him..

esp as he isnt even a sure thing for an nrl start with us next season

hindy111

Post Whore
Wow did we realy pay that much for tahu and poore.....
I would of been happy with 300 - 320 for poore but tahu 250 a year max due to prone of injuries

parra pete

Referee
Wow did we realy pay that much for tahu and poore.....
I would of been happy with 300 - 320 for poore but tahu 250 a year max due to prone of injuries

By the look of this post ......Tahu and Poore will be the new Krisnan Inu and Nathan Cayless scapegoats of 2010....
The more things change the more things stay the same.

strider

Post Whore
look - if we ALL took it in turns to have the Kingston's over for dinner one night, then I'm sure we'd be able to save them some living expenses .... sign up here ...

hindy111

Post Whore
By the look of this post ......Tahu and Poore will be the new Krisnan Inu and Nathan Cayless scapegoats of 2010....
The more things change the more things stay the same.

Just my opinion-a lot of money mate ......When i hear someone like hindy who pours his heart and soul into club is on around same than yeah i think lot of money-but im a little old school i guess.......Im not bagging players out in anyway and hope they peform.

hindy111

Post Whore
it must suck thou for guys like kinga-Who i think is a fantastic player.... Some say the salary cap is unfair to the top players but in many ways its unfair to these guys

yy_cheng

Coach
but h111, it's all about supply and demand at the moment.

If he was really outstanding, someone should've made him an offer already.

mickdo

Coach
but h111, it's all about supply and demand at the moment.

If he was really outstanding, someone should've made him an offer already.

The problem is that other clubs would be forced to pay considerably more for him next year as well due to this salary cap rule, not just Parra. I think that's why he isn't getting offers elsewhere, good as he is.

oldmancraigy

Coach

Actually I think the cap needs to be increased as well as bringing up the minimum salary for first graders.
You can't have one without the other.

It is completely ridiculous to expect the best players in the game to take 'unders' to play the game - guys like Hayne or Thurston could easily make 600k per year playing other codes, or in England.

The fact of the matter is that we've had more people through the turnstiles this year than EVER before, and clubs are actually all looking to sign up members now (good thing about the pokie tax I guess?) - revenue ought to be on the increase locally, and the NRL grants are sure to rise with the next TV deal.

A $5 million salary cap next season could easily be afforded by clubs ($3.25 million grant from the NRL - if the bears can drum up $1million in sponsorship per season, then surely clubs can too? That leaves ticket sales/ merchandise/ leagues club grants/ memberships etc).

Certain provisions and penalties then need to be put in place to allow clubs to exceed the cap under the right circumstances (to retain long serving players, or to sign new players at the minimum contract).

I've suggested all these things to the NRL before (in a proper document) - but they're just not interested...

It's a bit stupid when the players who make the game great don't seem to get fair recompense!

And IMO minimum salary should be $75k - it's far and away a popular enough sport for that!!!

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I agree with Twizzle... personally I'd like to see some of our highest paid players take a similar attitude to teammates that our lower paid ones like Grothe have shown. But I guess that's not to be.

Barty, its changing, Hayne will lead the way in this, as will Inu and many others. Paul Osborne, Hindmarsh, Cayless, Daniel Anderson & others will lead the way as well. The spirit of mateship/bondship/brotherhood/sisterhood etc is far far stronger and more powerful and beneficial than just $$$$$$$$ which has no soul/consciousness embodied. The Eels will lead the way, setting the example for teams around the globe to follow. There must already be a team or two elsewhere in the world, regardless of sport, doing this as well.

Fitz

Juniors
What if we do a collection among Eels fans to raise the $50 000...slip that to Kingston who can return it to the club...

That way Kingston doesn't get screwed

Haynzy

First Grade
Ok, Ive got a theory.

Unfortunately many people are inherently selfish and would most likely download the CD of a file sharing site and then burn copies for their mates...just so that they can check out if they'd really like it of course :roll:

84 Baby

Referee
Certain provisions and penalties then need to be put in place to allow clubs to exceed the cap under the right circumstances (to retain long serving players, or to sign new players at the minimum contract).
The NBA uses a salary cap but allow teams to go over the cap as long as they pay what they call a luxury tax (which is dollar for dollar of the amount over the cap). This tax is then distributed among the other teams in the league

born an eel

Bench
Unfortunately many people are inherently selfish and would most likely download the CD of a file sharing site and then burn copies for their mates...just so that they can check out if they'd really like it of course :roll:
or not purchase season tickets, then try to get the benefits without out laying the money :sarcasm:

Latest posts