What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kingston's offer to pay to play

MickRad

Juniors
You know, I have always thought that Eric Grothe was similar to me. Of course with the exception of some great Rugby League skills.

He is modest. He is a musician and like me would do anything to play music full-time, but sticks to his day job because he is good at it.

He's a good, tough, fair bloke and with the exception of those couple of years at the Roosters has Blue & Gold blood.

I am proud to have him at our club and I sure hope he gets another season with us at least.

Mark_S

Juniors
Good stuff from Grothe and Kingston.

Kevin Kingston is another one of the unsung heros, just like Jeff Robson. God I hope both players are at the club next year. While Jarrod and a few others have been in the spotlight and a huge part of the clubs sucess. These other guys are an even bigger part and dont get any of the glory of these other guys.

Nice to see the fans acknowledge these guys, 10 out of 10 guys.

yy_cheng

Coach
my ex CEO took a pay cut to keep the tea lady when we we firing people

His secretary leaked it out

Seriously can we put the hat around for this bloke?

We should have a Kinga tax in the 2010 memberships.

I am deadly serious as well.

fish eel

Immortal
That's great stuff from Guru, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with Jarryd Hayne, and nobody IMO has the right to expect someone to take a cut in pay.

Kinga has been great, sad to see him go, but him leaving opens up for Anthony Mitchell.

tresurehunt

Juniors
when money is no incentive to play footy that is the ultimate bond . it just goes to show that we have something very special happening here at parra.

bartman

Immortal
would you take a pay cut in your current job to keep a fellow work mate employed?

if you say "yes" you are better man than me.
Not big noting myself, but I've actually done so this year. As have lots of others, it's called the global financial crisis. Sometimes you have little choice.

What Grothe has offered to do on not the highest of player is fantastic, deserved acknowledgement and reveals a lot about the man. I can't imagine there's much difference between $500K per year and $450K per year, when it comes to setting yourself up... or between $400K and $350K a year, but maybe that's just me?

Go Parra!

TheParraboy

Staff member
It's definitely not beneficial financially, but I just want to stay here. My heart is at Parramatta

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

We got KK and Mitchell, one or both of which may be in the top 17 next year, plus Tahu, Poore and Shack.

This totally sux, I hope something can be worked out with Kinga

Mitchell is prob sitting here going bloody hell what do i have to do to get rid of this bugger.

I love Kinga ! looking forward to thanking him this weekend.

84 Baby

Referee
would you take a pay cut in your current job to keep a fellow work mate employed?

if you say "yes" you are better man than me.

these players only have a short career in rugby league. they need to make as much as they can in that short time. there are only a handul of players that make enough to set themselves up after their league careers are over.

GO PARRA
Guru's earning a lot more than I do and has the potential in the next few years to earn a lot more. And Kingston is willing to give back money in order to secure next year's salary, so he's willing to take a pay cut now to ensure he gets paid next year.

And to all thos questioning Hayne's mentality a) he took agreed to less than his worth last contract to help us retain Inu & b) what does his recent signing got to do with next year's salary cap when next year he is still under his current contract which he signed years ago.

We already had Ian Schubert all over us earlier in the year, do we really want him to come over again by changing player's current contracts?

fish eel

Immortal
Guru's earning a lot more than I do and has the potential in the next few years to earn a lot more. And Kingston is willing to give back money in order to secure next year's salary, so he's willing to take a pay cut now to ensure he gets paid next year.

And to all thos questioning Hayne's mentality a) he took agreed to less than his worth last contract to help us retain Inu & b) what does his recent signing got to do with next year's salary cap when next year he is still under his current contract which he signed years ago.

We already had Ian Schubert all over us earlier in the year, do we really want him to come over again by changing player's current contracts?

Very good point.....

yy_cheng

Coach

I probably missed it but I would assume that his new contract would start next year.

So new salary - old salary would be in the cap unless it is backloaded.

yy_cheng

Coach
$50K could be a deposit on a $250k investment property. So if he put in another $50k it would be a $500K investment property.

With negative gearing, he could make alot.

Bigfella

Coach
I agree that the situation has nothing to do with Hayne or any other player (hindy would be getting plenty more than Kinga and no one has gone feral on him) but even so, I don't reckon the Hayne comparison was as unfair as this comment:

Honestly, I cannot believe a selfish dude(thats what he seems like) like Grothe would beg for a pay cut. If he did that then well done.

Not sure how anyone can fairly say that anything Eric has ever done would warrant that description.

He took a lot of heat off Hagan last year for taking responsibility for his form (maybe too much I reckon TBH).

And I don't reckon someone who routinely averages 16-20 of the toughest hitups every game can be described as selfish.

84 Baby

Referee
Anyway the best way for him to secure a contract next year is to kick ass on Sunday. If he plays to the game plan, gives his all and helps his team then Ando will have no excuse to not give him a contract, even if it means we "accidentally" go over the cap. Every other team does it anyway. We'll just pass the hat around at next year's opener with a packed Parra Stadium

EelsFan05

Bench
My understanding was that next year, the last year of Haynes contract, has been some what upgraded.

After reading this story, I felt a tingle go through me. This is what Parramatta Pride is all about. This year has been so invigorating for me.

I dont know about all of the politics, and dont really care for it - however, as a long time supporter, I cant but help to feel the change this year has been exceptional! Hell, I was happy enough with T coming back to the club! Everything else has been a bonus.

Does anyone know what KK does for work, outside of football? Maybe I/we can do something to support him through that?

I just cant get over this article - makes me feel so proud of these guys!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Hypothetical:

Let's say we win on Sunday and Kingston gets chosen as a member of the 40-man touring party for the Four Nations.

Logically, his price tag should go up - making it OK for another club who would be keen (who wouldn't?) to offer him what his price should be according to the cap rules.

Evidently it would suck to lose him, but I just don't think it'll be possible to keep him here.

Gronk

Staff member
TBH I'm irked about the disparity of NRL salaries between marquee players and some regular first graders these days. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, but I do feel for guys like Kinga & Robbo who work their rings off for the minimum wage.

TBH I'm irked about the disparity of NRL salaries between marquee players and some regular first graders these days. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, but I do feel for guys like Kinga & Robbo who work their rings off for the minimum wage.

I hear what you are saying, but the fault lies within the salary cap system/structure itself, not with the players on the higher end of it (not that this is what you are saying).

Players with huge market value are forever being hunted by other codes, and it will take big bucks (quite often still less than what they can get in these other codes) to keep them in the NRL.

Once clubs have spent this type of money to keep one or two, it is indeed the types of players who suffer.

Was interested to see Gould bring it up on the Roast - just hope the NRL are looking into increasing the cap.

Latest posts