What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis news

Cold Roses

Juniors
Centre still a massive worry, as is the marshall/foran combo - those guys just don't click.

That's because they are both 5/8ths. I still maintain that if they are to be played together, then Marshall should be closer in at half, and Foran given the extra space and time to utilise his kicking game from 5/8.

vinnie delpino

Juniors
Exactly the reason why I may follow him to Samoa ;) The Kiwis can keep playing Mannering in the centres :lol:

Sau, Lima, Fa'alogo and Asotasi have all said they are available for the Kiwis

I thought I read in the Sydney Morning Herald yesterday that the 4 above have pledged allegiance to Samoa

ozbash

Referee
The New Zealand Rugby League is relaxed at the prospect of contesting a pre-World Cup tug-of-war with Pacific Island nations before finalising a Kiwis squad to defend the crown in the UK, Ireland and France later this year.
Samoa, who appointed St George Illawarra's Steve Price to succeeded NRL referees' boss Daniel Anderson as head coach on Monday, also started building their roster with former Kiwis centre Steve Matai saying he was no longer available for New Zealand.
Former Kiwis captain Roy Asotasi, fellow South Sydney front rower Jeff Lima and World Cup-winning centre Junior Sa'u have also been linked to a squad being assembled by Samoa's technical director Nigel Vagana.
Realistically that trio are dispensable although Warriors five-eighth Thomas Leuluai and centre Jerome Ropati are also on Vagana's wish list.
"It'd be great if we can get those guys but the Kiwis will have an eye on them this year," he admitted as the former Kiwis centre works to finalise a team for the April 20 test against Tonga in Sydney.
Leuluai is likely to be selected for the Anzac test with the Kangaroos in Canberra the night before while the injury-plagued Ropati is currently a candidate for the Kiwis World Cup squad.
Vagana has already missed out on Sonny Bill Williams and Frank Pritchard's priority is the Kiwis but the recruitment drive continues - a project that doesn't faze Tony Iro, New Zealand Rugby League's high performance manager.
"In a World Cup year we're going to have this issue, there will be a tug of war over players now and then," said Iro, who also serves as head coach Stephen Kearney's assistant.
If potential Kiwis opt to play for Samoa or Tonga this month they cannot be chosen for the Kiwis until the next World Cup cycle but if they sidestep the test and are subsequently overlooked by the NZRL selectors they could still represent the islands of their heritage.
"Some players will align themselves with the Island nations," said Iro, who used his brother, former Kiwis centre, Kevin as an example.
"He played the last two or three years of his career with the Cook Islands.
"I can fully understand where those players are coming from.
"It's valuable for the tournament as well because those guys represent their nations and make the tournament as strong as possible."
Iro was comfortable with Matai's decision, noting the Manly backline enforcer played the last of his 10 tests in 2010.

"We were aware he was probably going to make the decision. It didn't come as a big shock," he said, before detailing multiple options at centre - Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Dean Whare, Gerard Beale and Simon Mannering.
Krisnan Inu, who is unavailable for the Anzac test due to suspension, will also be back in contention.
Vagana conceded it would be difficult to acquire potential Kiwis before the teams meet during the opening round of pool play in Warrington on October 27.
"The Aussies and Kiwis are going to take the cream of the crop which is fine," he said.
"If they want to play for the Kiwis that's cool, we'll cheer for them as well. We're happy to take the rest."
Apart from seasoned pros like 31-year-old Asotasi, Samoa is likely to feature predominantly up-and-coming personnel that could represent the Kiwis at future World Cups.
Vagana nominated Parramatta outside back Ken Sio as a player with dual eligibility that would be keen on representing Samoa.
"Kenny is going to be up against Manu (Vatuvei), Gerard Beale, Josh Hoffman, Jason Nightingale, Kevin Locke, it just goes on and on.
At the opposite end of the experience spectrum Vagana was also keen to enlist former Kiwis teammates Ali Lauitiiti and Tony Puletua, 30-somethings who are still playing in England with Wakefield and St Helens respectively.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8504674/NZRL-faces-tug-of-war-over-with-Pacific-teams

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
Personally I hope RTS plays for Samoa where he was born. He's a great prospect and those countries will never grow if we keep poaching their star players. Same with Konrad Hurrell even though he's far from a test jersey at this point.

1. K. Locke/G. Beale
2. J. Hoffman (has really impressed me this year)
3. Inu (edges out SKD because he can kick)
4. SBW (because Inglis will steamroll anyone else)
5. J. Nightingale

Speaking of test selections heres my team

1 Hoffman
2 Nightengale
3 Whare
4 Mannering
5 Duffie
6 Foran
7 Marshall
8 Waerea-Hargreaves
9 Luke
10 Bromwich
11 Blair
12 Williams
13 Smith
reserves
Leuluai
Glenn
McKendry
Manu/Pritchard/Eastwood

Unlucky not to be there would be Johnson, Perritt and Locke

Lucky to be there would be Mannering and Leuluai

Scott

Bench
Adam Blair?? Really?? Alex Glenn for mine.

I like the idea of SBW playing right centre, up against Inglis.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Speaking of test selections heres my team

1 Hoffman
2 Nightengale
3 Whare
4 Mannering
5 Duffie
6 Foran
7 Marshall
8 Waerea-Hargreaves
9 Luke
10 Bromwich
11 Blair
12 Williams
13 Smith
reserves
Leuluai
Glenn
McKendry
Manu/Pritchard/Eastwood

Unlucky not to be there would be Johnson, Perritt and Locke

Lucky to be there would be Mannering and Leuluai

I'd go with Beale or Perret over Duffie.

Diesel

Referee
SBW in the centres to mark Inglis for mine and Glenn over Blair, otherwise that's a good team

vinnie delpino

Juniors
1. Hoffman
2. Nightengale
3. Beale
4. SKD
5. RTS
6. Marshall
7. Foran
8. Bromwich
9. Luke
10. JWH
11. Pritchard
12. Mannering
13. SBW

14. Glenn
15. Smith
16. Eastwood
17. Matulino

Micistm

Bench
Got selected in the squad, then he pulled out with injury. Again. I like Matai but like I said he missed probably 90% of the last 3-4 years of Tests through injury or maybe suspension. Plus Kearney probably wasn't a big fan after he cost us the ANZAC Test in 2010 with a stupid late hit on Slater, one of the last Tests he has actually been available for.

I thought the hit on Aussie Darling Slater was worth the loss:lol:

Micistm

Bench
Adam Blair?? Really?? Alex Glenn for mine.

I like the idea of SBW playing right centre, up against Inglis.

They can broadcast his thoughts as he runs on. Ugh.
Yep I'm petty but $BW in the Kiwis is something I find repulsive tbh, taking a spot a more loyal Kiwi would deserve. He'll be off again once he gets that tick for his CV, and it was just before the last WC he buggered off last time

Diesel

Referee
I think we have a good team on paper and a lot better than I realised however my concern is the coach.

Do many here have faith in Kearney as our coach or his support team? It was Bennett in our team last time that was the unsung hero and if you look at our record since 2009 when Bennett wasn't there is not that great and worse vs Australia.

ozbash

Referee
Yep I'm petty but $BW in the Kiwis is something I find repulsive tbh, taking a spot a more loyal Kiwi would deserve. He'll be off again once he gets that tick for his CV, and it was just before the last WC he buggered off last time

tsk tsk

Skinner

Coach

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Mic, I wanna have your babies

Fonzie

Juniors
1. Hoffman
2. Nightengale
3. Beale
4. SKD
5. RTS
6. Marshall
7. Foran
8. Bromwich
9. Luke
10. JWH
11. Pritchard
12. Mannering
13. SBW

14. Glenn
15. Smith
16. Eastwood
17. Matulino

SKD and RTS play on the right, but you've got them on the left..does that matter that much these days? SBW has said he prefers to play on the right side.

Agree with 4 forwards on the bench. I remember the Kiwis making around 20m a set in the last 20 minutes of the end of year test last year, and thinking 'we need to make sure the bench gives us 80 minutes of go forward'.