What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis Test team - risen from the ashes

LeagueNut

First Grade
As long as Moimoi & Fien don't get a look in then I'll be happy.

Robster said:
If that ever happens in my lifetime I'll personally build a Justin Murphy statue out of solid gold outside Whangaparaoa Plaza.

roughyedspud

Coach
funny how peoples attitudes have changed toward moimoi..last year he was the "best prop in the world" ,"he's going to batter GB" , "he grew up in NZ he has to play for NZ" , "he's to good for tonga"

was it really worth going through all that crap to get him? just as long as he is'nt allowed to go back to tonga..then again you will probably need him because of injuries..

for what it's worth i though he did very well for NZ in the all golds series..

JB

Juniors
Anyone know if Seitemata Sa has pledged his alleigance to Samoa. Can vaguely remember some news about it but not sure. Like the look of him in the centre's for the Roosters, a real handful with his strength and offload. Combine's well with Kenny - Dowell.
At this stage:

Perrett (Inu if fit)
Vatuvei
Stanley
Sa (Soliola)
Kenny Dowell
Roberts
Paea
Lima
Luke
Cayless
Asotasi (c)
Kidwell
Mannering

Blair/Moi moi
SBW
Smith (Melbourne)
Rangi Chase

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Just a few pointers:

• Soliola is playing off the bench/reserve grade and not playing in the centers
  • Sa apparently last year committed himself to Samoa. Would love him at 6,3 or 13
  • Paea isnt ready for test footy
  • Stanley is playing backrow of the bench
  • Smith (melb) should get picked before mannering (& probably kidwell) - a workhorse also but hits harder and can offer some oomph on attack.

Also:
  • Still not a Lauaki fan - dont think he will ever eliminate dumb stuff out of his game.
  • Chase should feature more attacking spark than benji

JB

Juniors
mean_maori_mean said:
Just a few pointers:

• Soliola is playing off the bench/reserve grade and not playing in the centers
  • Sa apparently last year committed himself to Samoa. Would love him at 6,3 or 13
  • Paea isnt ready for test footy
  • Stanley is playing backrow of the bench
  • Smith (melb) should get picked before mannering (& probably kidwell) - a workhorse also but hits harder and can offer some oomph on attack.
Also:
  • Still not a Lauaki fan - dont think he will ever eliminate dumb stuff out of his game.
  • Chase should feature more attacking spark than benji

1. If Sa is unavailable i'd prefer Soliola to a grub like Matai.

2. Not being ready for test footy. The same could be said for Roberts, Jeremy Smith, and anyone else we've tried in that 7 jersey. Could also apply for Chase who you want to use.

3. Stanley played centre/wing all last year as well as for the Kiwis. Possesses speed and strength. Good attributes.

4. Didn't really see that oomph on attack or hitting ability from J.Smith when he made the Kiwi's last year. Willing to give him another go though.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
JB said:
1. If Sa is unavailable i'd prefer Soliola to a grub like Matai.

2. Not being ready for test footy. The same could be said for Roberts, Jeremy Smith, and anyone else we've tried in that 7 jersey. Could also apply for Chase who you want to use.

3. Stanley played centre/wing all last year as well as for the Kiwis. Possesses speed and strength. Good attributes.

4. Didn't really see that oomph on attack or hitting ability from J.Smith when he made the Kiwi's last year. Willing to give him another go though.

They were pointers just so people knew when selecting playing they knew they were playing reserve grade or whatever.

Stanley possesss speed and strength - so do just about every kiwi in the NRL - Im a big fan but when you have good players still playing in those positions if will have to shine in the time he does get.

SKD - have improved so much over the past year - if he keeps on improving he will be hard to leave out.

As for J.Smith I guess you didnt watch melb vs warriors - in fact both him and Lima proved their worth - played awesome.

As for chase - he is offers instant attacking flair. Big paea fan but dont know if we can get away with both at the halves???. Think paea will be in the world cup squad though.

ozbash

Referee
SKD is 2nd rate compared to vatuvai, rapira to captain the side, if issac luke doesnt get the hookers spot instead of granny, then i will stand outside the Civic in Q Street and sing 'advance ozzie fair'.

paea is halfback - hohaia will be there, somewhere - sonny fai will also be lurking - rangi chase at 5/8 - chase stanley a forward , maybe beside SBW if he plays - no kidwell, he's past his use-by.

blain

Juniors
id prefer jro in the centres than stanley at this stage. id go

inu
SKD
matai
ropati
vatuvei
chase
paea
cayless
luke
asotasi
SBW
smith
mannering

lima
hohaia (??)
kidwell
lauaki/moimoi/rapira

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
ozbash said:
SKD is 2nd rate compared to vatuvai, rapira to captain the side, if issac luke doesnt get the hookers spot instead of granny, then i will stand outside the Civic in Q Street and sing 'advance ozzie fair'.

paea is halfback - hohaia will be there, somewhere - sonny fai will also be lurking - rangi chase at 5/8 - chase stanley a forward , maybe beside SBW if he plays - no kidwell, he's past his use-by.

Rapira to captain??? Tbh he will be lucky to make the side especially Blair, Lima playing so well

Chase Stanley - a forward?? reh maybe a bench utility. He shouldnt get automatic selection we already picked him he cant play for australia now. Hopefully cooper or gasnier pull up injured so he can go back to the centres.

Same with roosters we need perritt, soliola, skd and hopefully sa all playing first grade.

Faiumu got dropped to QLD cup this week - halatau playing random positions.

My team skeleton would be this - plenty of kiwi centre, wingers available pick who ever is playing best out of: Vatuvai, Matai, Perrit, Soliola, Stanley etc

I'd reluctantly select: Mannering, Lauaki, Ropati if all other options are exhausted. Painful to watch.

1. Inu
6.Sa
7.Chase
8. Asotasi
9.Luke
10.Cayless
11. Kidwell
12. SBW
13. Smith

14. Hohaia
15. Lima
16. Fa'alogo/ Blair/ harrison/ Eastwood
17. Blair/ harrison/ Rapira / Moimoi

18. Paea

ozbash

Referee
Chase Stanley - a forward??
yes a forward - 2nd row or lock. Browny is grooming him with the drags.

Rapira to captain??? Tbh he will be lucky to make the side especially Blair, Lima playing so well

sammy is head and shoulders ahead of your 2, not saying they ar'nt class , just that sammy is a whole heap better.

Same with roosters we need perritt, soliola, skd and hopefully sa all playing first grade.
I go along with the first grade bit, the chooks arnt that flash a team (despite what willie says) and we have better players soliola and the very very over rated SKD.
Perritts ok.

you reluctantly select Jro yet you leave his spot empty. Where will the selectors go, ESL??

Are U20's eligible ?
there is more talent waiting to be 'discovered' in there..

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
ozbash said:
Chase Stanley - a forward??
yes a forward - 2nd row or lock. Browny is grooming him with the drags.

sammy is head and shoulders ahead of your 2, not saying they ar'nt class , just that sammy is a whole heap better.

I go along with the first grade bit, the chooks arnt that flash a team (despite what willie says) and we have better players soliola and the very very over rated SKD.
Perritts ok.

you reluctantly select Jro yet you leave his spot empty. Where will the selectors go, ESL??

Are U20's eligible ?

there is more talent waiting to be 'discovered' in there..

Stanley - he has to prove himself before I pick him as a forward - i.e learn to develop a forwards workload - its easy coming off the bench and going for a few runs.

no qualms with sammy one of the most honest players in the NRL - all I am saying is he wont walk in.

As to the roosters - we need them to create competition for spots - We have better players than soliola - please dont say ropati.

SKD - not over rated he should be nothing but commended he has matured so much in a year - He can finish, He has a great attitude and head on him, can play almost as an extra forward and has proved good under the high balls so far.

As for u20's who would you even consider pulling up?? No chance the standard of play between the grade is massive.

Iosefa from Panthers is a class player and will be in first grade in a few weeks.

As for ropati - he is slighty geniused but if he has proved a good offseason and 'recovered' and all other players are playing crap/injured i.e if the planets all align I would considere putting him in my team.

Same goes for Lauaki - and Mannering - if he learns to pass the ball and/or step or any form of enterprising play on attack if he is an option either that or he becomes the best defensive player on the planet.

ozbash

Referee
As for ropati - he is slighty geniused :shock: I resemble that remark !

mannering would really have to pull pinky i reckon.

lauaki ? no thanks.

No chance the standard of play between the grade is massive.

that gap is a hell of a lot closer than you think. The difference is hype, if the U20's recieved as much press as the warriors, people would also regard them as 'superstars'.

there are better players running around in U20's and the Vulcans than we see turning up for the warriors.

Halfway through the season we'll see this more clearly.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
mean_maori_mean said:
Iosefa from Panthers is a class player and will be in first grade in a few weeks.

Could well be making his debut next weekend. Way to good for the 20's.

taste2taste

Juniors
Im a Roosters fan and let me tell you SKD is barley up to 1st grade standard and no way up to test match footy. While he looks good running off Sa his defense is appalling, he dead set lets in 1 or 2 trys a game with bad reads in defense, opposing teams always attack his wing with great success.

Im not sure whats happened to Soliola, he shredded Australia to bits in the last tri nations..he's a bit like Toopi, all the potential but not realising it.

Its good to see there are a few arguments over positions and who should play where, shows we finally have some depth, things will become even more complicated when the SL boys join up for the WC.

Fia and Filiga will not be in the team but they will be invited to train with the team and attend camp during the week. HUUUUUUUUUUGE things are expected from these young guns for the world cup.

just for fun here's what i rekon the WC team will be

1-webb
2-inu
3-sa or soliola - depending on who sa decided to play for
4-filiga - after a year of first grade will be ready to step up
5-vatui
6-benji
7-paae - over the season will emerge as our best 7
8-asotasi
9-fein - solid in defense for the early exchanges
10-j.cayless
11-sbw
12-fia - will be starting for the warriors by mid season
13-mannering

14-lautiti - i havnt given up on the big fella, was outstanding last season, Bennets a big fan and i beleive Ali hasnt pledge allegence to either samoa or NZ for the WC
15-raparti/ Stanley - utillity player, can cover all postions
16-luke - will carve tiring forwards to shreds
17-n.cayless - workhorse

roughyedspud

Coach
14-lautiti - i havnt given up on the big fella, was outstanding last season, Bennets a big fan and i beleive Ali hasnt pledge allegence to either samoa or NZ for the WC

you believe wrong....he pledged allengence to samoa ages ago

mean_maori_mean

Juniors

there are better players running around in U20's and the Vulcans than we see turning up for the warriors.

name them???
From the vulcans probably Ah Van superseeded by Solomona and Crockett.

And personally I reckon Heremaia is probably better Rovelli.

Who from the u/20's could right now be close to been brought up(once wiki is out with injury)???

packer??

Latest posts