What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis v England Match Thread

Joker's Wild

Coach
And that's why they won so many player of the year awards and dream team selections.

I'm talking about in international terms anyway. They seem to have gone backwards as players.

Yeah and I'm sure that's because they are playing in the NRL now lol

Face it mate, your whole team is going backwards

Last edited:

Evil Homer

Staff member
Englands structure is absolute balls. It is piss poor. It makes Burgess and Ellis look second rate. Thats what happens when you pick a ball runner in the 7 and a hopeless player in the 6. Neither are ball players. Burgess and Ellis ran more decoys then any other second row pairing i have seen.
It's no surprise, it's exactly what everyone in England expected to be honest. The team is filled with good players, certainly if the right team was picked it would be filled with great players who could do very well. Like I said, this is the coach that single handedly took Bradford from being the biggest club in the country to wooden spoon contenders who are now competing with the likes of Salford and Harlequins.

slammingsam

Juniors
It's no surprise, it's exactly what everyone in England expected to be honest. The team is filled with good players, certainly if the right team was picked it would be filled with great players who could do very well. Like I said, this is the coach that single handedly took Bradford from being the biggest club in the country to wooden spoon contenders who are now competing with the likes of Salford and Harlequins.

I think Tomkins is a good player - certainly a very good ball runner. He would be my fullback. Whilst he isnt a great 5/8..Widdop would be there for mine. He can throw a decent ball both ways and can run the ball too. Need to find a halfback who can setup a decent attacking raid.

Every second man play ran tonight was so easy to pick out. NZ really didnt have any trouble. If i had blokes on either side who are 110kg and 190cm and run like trains..I would be looking to put them into as many holes as possible and if your going to use them as a decoy - atleast sell it well.

ucantseeme

Juniors
England looked good when they had players going up in numbers in attack. Similar to how QLD play. Lots of support = lots of options. But unfortunately they didn't do this very often. Their handling was terrible and were lucky not to lose by more.

However it seems like a young-ish team without the familiar faces, so if this team was selected with having a long term view to have these blokes play together regularly and built combinations, then okay. But, if this is the best England has to offer then next week against the Roos should be a massacre.

beave

Coach
Maybe its just my tv but how the f**k can you tell how long there is to go with these idiots dont even put a clock on the screen.

1989 rang, they want their Sony Trinitron back.........................:cool:

The Observer

Staff member
Excellent performances from Marshall, SKD, Sau, FPN tonight. Next week against PNG, all the non playing Kiwis should be given a run, and some senior Kiwis rested. I'd pick a team like this:

Nightingale, Winterstein, Mannering (c), Sau, Perrett; Leuluai, Fien; McKendry, Luke, Matulino; Waerea, Manu, Pritchard. BENCH: Brown, Blair, Eastwood, Smith

NZ should rest Hohaia, SKD, Marshall, FPN and Harrison. No need for any of those guys to play against PNG, and Kearney wouldn't want to risk injury to the first 4 players in that match.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Best (non playing) bits for me:

1. Jerseys, how nice to see RL shirts not looking like advertising hoardings!
2. 20k crowd, well done Wellington
3. Ticket organisers, well done for making sure the fans were packed into the areas cameras would show
4. Haka, Luke is mad!
5. Anthems, well sung and no techincal hitches to make the game look like amateur hour

NRLMad

Juniors
The crowd was 20,000+ - years ago this would not have been possible..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_national_rugby_league_team
In 2006, the RFL announced that after the 2007 All Golds Tour[1] the Great Britain team would no longer compete on a regular basis, and that players would be able to represent England, Wales and Scotland at Test level. It is planned that the Great Britain team will come together in future only for occasional tours.

England have a great forward pack but without a decent halfback & five eight combination they are suffering. Roby seemed like he was the answer to the loss of Cunningham - but i'm having 2nd thoughts. He's an impact player at best. Shenton looked quick & seemed to carve up a few times. I think players like him would really play well under the NRL coaching system.

You kind of feel that England are overawed & try too hard. As the game wore on they seemed to lose that.. But I just think that they need to concentrate on playing more of a percentage game... in the first half, there were numerous times when they lost the ball in their own half... These are the types of mistakes that NZ/Aust capitalise on most. Their defence was woeful to start the game, but again got better as the game went on...

They also seem to be missign a forward leader like Peacock or Morley. Burgess and Ellis aren't really that sort of player - well not yet anyway.

Last edited:

Indelible

Juniors
England looked best when roby was attacking from dummy-half. Shenton should come to the NRL. Liked the look of him last yr, looks even better this yr. Brown was found out in D, and Widdop didn't look up to it.

NZ were pretty poor tonight - need to improve alot to take the whole thing out.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeh I thought Shenton, Graham, O'Loughlin, Westwood and Roby would all do well in NRL with some decent coaching structure around them.

NZ looked to be in 3rd gear and not really needing to step it up, they also palyed with 16 men for full game which played a part.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Wins a win. We played pretty average but I'm not too concerned, should be ready for a big game against the Aussies at Eden park. Don't think we will play that poorly again this tournament and we still got a pretty comfortable win.

NRLMad

Juniors
Graham is shopping around for an NRL club - he's off contract next year.. Westwood looked good... the guy with a mohawk did nothing.. They need to get ryan hall in.. he's a tough player..

I think NZ stepped off the gas.. I'm sure there's a little bit of foxing going on.. There was a patch where you could see how good NZ will be against Australia... It was when a couple of the NZ players picked up Tomkins and were going to put him on his head..

NZ will win the 4 Nations... I'm almost certain of it..

Last edited:

Latest posts