What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Klemmer

doyen

Bench
Using a car-racing analogy---Farah is a seasoned rally champion that uses every trick in the book to win the race.

Cook is very much still on his L-plates. He looks quick & nippy at times but does NOT have the cleverness,depth of alertness or the toughness to take advantage of the opportunities that arise. He gets to a certain point in the race;at best mid-field & can never quite make it to the podium!!!

DiegoNT

First Grade
Yeah and that's why you guys should have patience with Cook. Give him more time out there and he may end up like Peats or Korisau or McInnis is now. You've got to have patience with the young kids, it takes a fair while to get used to the rigors of first grade. I believe your club is excellent at spotting the talent, but no good at being patient with them long enough to keep them there. Then in 2 years, they blossom at another club.

Man I would cut off my left nut to get Peats at my club. His service is wonderfully fast. It reminds me of when Craig Wing played hooker, no one gave service that fast ever before or since, but Peats is pretty close now. I see a fair bit of Peats in Cook right now, his service speed is very good. He just needs to learn a bit more and in a year or two i reckon he'll be right up there. Anyhoo, I hope your club makes the right decision this time. Good luck man.

Yea it sucks that we tend to get rid of players just before the blossom.
I don't think you can compare Peats to Cook. There development was miles apart. Peats was debuted before he was ready in 2011. Due to injury he was called in to 1st grade as a back-rower. He had almost a full season in the back row and that helped shape the player he is. A good hooker needs 3 things.
1. He needs to be tough, and a good defender
2. He needs skills. Good service from dummy half and a decent scoot.
3. He needs footy intelligence and a calmness.

That's the order it needs to happen. A hooker who isn't tough or a good defender is useless. Even if he has the other 2 qualities, without the 1st he is nothing. It's also the hardest to teach. If it was easy almost every former half who doesn't make it as a half would be a hooker. But that doesn't work out. That's why guy like Buderus and Wallace are a rare breed. That's why when you develop a half you usually take a tough kid who can tackle and go from there. Take Andrew McCollough as a perfect example. He started in first grade as a tough little bigger who could tackle. Over the years his service got slowly better, his running game improved. Finally over the last 18 months his game management and calmness under pressure has really came along.
With cook you have someone has the second part. He has decent service and decent running (when he goes through with it). But to be a quality long term first grade hooker he needs to develop some tougness and defence. He is already 26. Most hookers have that first part at least when they are 20-21. Without the tougness he'll find it hard to have the 3rd part. Because playing smart and calm requires taking a hit now and again, something cook hasn't mastered.

Travitoh

First Grade
Yeah and that's why you guys should have patience with Cook. Give him more time out there and he may end up like Peats or Korisau or McInnis is now. You've got to have patience with the young kids, it takes a fair while to get used to the rigors of first grade. I believe your club is excellent at spotting the talent, but no good at being patient with them long enough to keep them there. Then in 2 years, they blossom at another club

Damian Cook turns 26 this month. Not exactly a kid. Compare that to Peats who is 26, Koroisau is 24 and McInnes is 23. Cooks development is a long way behind those 3 and i don't believe will ever get close.

He's handy as a reserve and would be especially at a side that succeeds using a bench hooker but we don't. Our forward pack gets us results when we can rotate 4 forwards through the bench. We haven't got the cattle or gameplan to use a mature bench hooker.

Farah at least gives us a starting hooker with the ability to play 80 minutes at a first grade level, the majority of our wins have come when he was given the chance to do so.

I don't hate Cook but i would've much preferred we let him go and kept McInnes to learn a few tricks from Farah.

callmack1

Staff member
Yeah and that's why you guys should have patience with Cook. Give him more time out there and he may end up like Peats or Korisau or McInnis is now. You've got to have patience with the young kids, it takes a fair while to get used to the rigors of first grade. I believe your club is excellent at spotting the talent, but no good at being patient with them long enough to keep them there. Then in 2 years, they blossom at another club.

Man I would cut off my left nut to get Peats at my club. His service is wonderfully fast. It reminds me of when Craig Wing played hooker, no one gave service that fast ever before or since, but Peats is pretty close now. I see a fair bit of Peats in Cook right now, his service speed is very good. He just needs to learn a bit more and in a year or two i reckon he'll be right up there. Anyhoo, I hope your club makes the right decision this time. Good luck man.
Agreed, that's why I hope we're patient with the likes of Burns, Jennings and Talaki.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Agreed, that's why I hope we're patient with the likes of Burns, Jennings and Talaki.
Firstly on Cook he is a gun imo. A good player.

He should be starting over Robbie.

Souths better be careful otherwise he will go to another club!!!!

On Talakai we can't be patient with him as a centre. He just isn't a centre. Give him as much time as you want there but it won't work out. Talakai would be better suited to the back row off the bench.

Burns does have potential but he's still a couple of years away from being a regular first grader imo. Currently he's not up to it.

Jennings is disappointing imo. He has poor concentration levels and I question his commitment,

Rabbits20

Immortal
I think cook's service out of dummy half is much better than farah's I also think that he doesn't have much match fitness because he's been playing utility for most of the season! Our halves I think walker have complained about Farah not listening to them.
Oi mate I'm just ignoring the don't knowers who begrudge Cook. They are uneducated.

Cook has lots of quality and needs more of a go. He's the future not Robbie.

Robbie is creative but his service is too slow.

I'm saying this to you Souths til I die as I know you can comprehend what I'm saying and some on here can't.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

On Talakai we can't be patient with him as a centre. He just isn't a centre. Give him as much time as you want there but it won't work out. Talakai would be better suited to the back row off the bench.

Burns does have potential but he's still a couple of years away from being a regular first grader imo. Currently he's not up to it.

Jennings is disappointing imo. He has poor concentration levels and I question his commitment,

Talakai and Jennings have been carrying injuries the few games that they played.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Oi mate I'm just ignoring the don't knowers who begrudge Cook. They are uneducated.

Cook has lots of quality and needs more of a go. He's the future not Robbie.

Robbie is creative but his service is too slow.

I'm saying this to you Souths til I die as I know you can comprehend what I'm saying and some on here can't.

Haha you know I'm a big supporter of cook brother. I'll defend him all day but Robbie's been playing pretty well lately.

For me I would love to see them both given 80 minutes without a bench utility and see how it turns out. I think cook will be better because he usually makes big plays late in the game. I honestly think his service out of dummy half is what sparked our late come back against the eels as well. The coming weeks will be interesting to say the least. Farah's asking price can way surplus cook's!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Doesn't change my view in that Talakai can succeed off the bench as a back rower but isn't a centre.

No excuses re Jennings. A big disappointment.

I'd give them more of a chance before releasing them though. Playing with injuries is really f**king hard. I honestly don't know how these players play on with torn acl's and broken legs it's beyond me.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Haha you know I'm a big supporter of cook brother. I'll defend him all day but Robbie's been playing pretty well lately.

For me I would love to see them both given 80 minutes without a bench utility and see how it turns out. I think cook will be better because he usually makes big plays late in the game. I honestly think his service out of dummy half is what sparked our late come back against the eels as well. The coming weeks will be interesting to say the least. Farah's asking price can way surplus cook's!
Madge better not bring Cook on when the game is over/with 15-20mins left.

Cook needs to come on around the 30min mark.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'd give them more of a chance before releasing them though. Playing with injuries is really f**king hard. I honestly don't know how these players play on with torn acl's and broken legs it's beyond me.
Earlier in the season though when Jennings was fit, you can't excuse those performances. You either have it or you don't.

I see more potential in Burns than Jennings tbh.

Burns just isn't tough enough/ready for first grade yet.

I'm happy if the club turns Talakai into a back rower who runs hard with impact and the leg drive he has and tackles well. I'd like to see him off the bench in the back row in the trials next season.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Madge better not bring Cook on when the game is over/with 15-20mins left.

Cook needs to come on around the 30min mark.

I agree I think if he brought cook on earlier we would of beaten the eels. I really want a big game from Walker/AR though, show people that they don't need to be replaced

Rabbits20

Immortal
I agree I think if he brought cook on earlier we would of beaten the eels. I really want a big game from Walker/AR though, show people that they don't need to be replaced
I just think AR's body is really struggling!!!! It is affecting his form and confidence.

It is frustrating but I am not giving up on him.

I just want to see Cody show commitment and the right attitude which has been missing these last 2-3 weeks.

Others in my bay were standing up in protest at the game the other week against Parra. The chant was we want Cookie with raised arms in the air and then the Cook chant started!!!!!!!!!!

In my bay they said Madge has to be strongly questioned regarding his tactics there!!!!!!!!

callmack1

Staff member

I agree re Talaki. He needs time....in the second row. Talaki could be so dangerous running lines off the bench against tired forwards. He's a good defender contact wise, it's just his speed and ability to slide which needs work.

Latest posts