What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knight Bennett set to wield the axe

Silent Knight

First Grade
I get the feeling that Gidley would work wonders at centre. I think over time he could form a rather lethal combination with Uate in much the same way as his brother used to with a pre-union Timana Tahu.

I'm also sold on the idea of bringing Will Chambers to the club. Between him and Jimmy I don't think they would let many points in down their side. Would he cost that much to bring to the club?

My backline would be:

1. Boyd
2. McManus
3. Chambers
4. Gidley
5. Uate

which imo is light years ahead of:

1. Gidley
2. McManus
3. Sa’u
4. MacDougall
5. Uate

Johns Magic

Referee
I doubt Beau Henry is the absolute guarantee that everyone seems to think he is. In fact, i would imagine he would be feeling a little bit nervous.

I will be very surprised if Henry and Mullen aren't our halves next year.

timka4

Bench
When Henry returns during this year and plays with Mullen, depending on how he goes will determine if he will be playing 5/8 next year. If he can show glimpses of potential like he has so far, then I think he will remain a half. If not I wouldn't be so confident

I really like De Gois a lot, but I think it really kills us when De Gois plays 1 game and is out for the next 2 or 3 due to injury, it stuffs around with our forward pack.
If Boyd comes he can play fullback or maybe 5/8 that's it.
Boyd at fullback and Kidley in the centres is better than Kidley at fullback and Boyd in the centres IMO

stuke

Bench
I will be very surprised if Henry and Mullen aren't our halves next year.

I think Henry has great potential, but he has only played 3 games in the top grade. Bit hard to lock him in as a definite combination with Mullen after this short period and with the changes that appear to be coming.

Everyone is so concerned about moving Gidley to accomodate Boyd but a 3 game rookie has a mortgage on a spot?

Johns Magic

Referee
Everyone is so concerned about moving Gidley to accomodate Boyd but a 3 game rookie has a mortgage on a spot?

I didn't realise we were signing Benji Marshall?

Henry is a 5/8, he is a far better 5/8 than Gidley, and he is probably the best young half in the game.

I cannot see Bennett getting rid of him.

Alex28

Coach
Loving having other teams fans trying to tell us what will happen to our club...

Do people not watch what happens on the field when Gidley plays at half?

Yosh

Coach
Don't need Ennis imo, De Gois as well for that matter.

1. Boyd
2. Uate
4. Lilliki
5. McManus

6. Henry
7. Mullen

8. Snowden
9. Kidley
10. Nev

Centre is the problem though ain't it. I don't see the logic of playing Kidley in the centres. He is best when running a thousand miles and hour, popping out everywhere and defending like he is possessed. Although watching Hodges play this week, if Gidley wants to get involved like that often, I don't mind I guess... Sup to WB, I'm sure he'll make the right calls!

Alex28

Coach
So we weaken an already strong position with no real answer as to what we do in the centres (in both positions really because Likiliki is still an unknown)?

Spot On

Coach
Really mate? I think in the context of our side, Ennis downgrades us. We struggle with discipline as it is (both from our players and the refs perception of our team) and we are talking about adding Ennis, a know penalty magnet, into the mix.

No thanks

That won't be a problem with Bennett. He doesn't tolerate blokes who can't get with the program. We won't be starting games off giving away three and four penalties in the first two defensive sets.

Johns Magic

Referee
So we weaken an already strong position with no real answer as to what we do in the centres (in both positions really because Likiliki is still an unknown)?

I would rather get a good centre and have Gidley at hooker than keep De Gois and play Gidley in the centres.

Gidley is the heart and soul of this team and there's no better position to demonstrate that from than 9.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I didn't even have to look at the top of the page to know who typed such junk. How on earth can he have it in his head that Snowden and Boyd would take up $800,000 of the salary cap!? Snowden would be on 350 max in the books so according to Rothy we'll be paying Boyd over $450,000 a year... what's this guys problem.

At the end of the season I'd be happy to let go of MacDougall, Southern, Ciraldo, McDonnell, Mika, Lulia and Karawana, re-sign Sau, Gids, De Gois, Kev and Wes (the Naiqama brothers on smallish contracts) and at least sign Snowden and Boyd. Ridding our squad of these mediocre "depth" players will help us bring more kids into top grade which I think is extremely important going forward. I don't think our depth would be effected at all infact I think it'd be in better shape than ever. Looking forward to see what transpires over the coming months.

This is a great point I feel. The club doesn't bring players through anymore due to the depth signings that we have. Having Lulia, Mcdonnel etc on small money, is good for our salary cap, but it also won't allow younger players to come into the top grade that could possibly be the goods.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I would rather get a good centre and have Gidley at hooker than keep De Gois and play Gidley in the centres.

Gidley is the heart and soul of this team and there's no better position to demonstrate that from than 9.

Gidley is adequate at hooker and he is outstanding in that position when the opposition start to become tired. However at this stage I question his creativity against fresh opposition players.

Alex28

Coach

I don't necessarily disagree with you, however:

* Mentions of Ennis as well as De Gois indicates that Gidley to Hooker probably won't happen; and

* I can't see too many decent Centres on the market for 2012.

He might end up at Centre through necessity in the end.

Spot On

Coach
Gidley is adequate at hooker and he is outstanding in that position when the opposition start to become tired. However at this stage I question his creativity against fresh opposition players.

Exactly why I see him coming off the bench in the second part of each half. He will carv teams up if we are on the front foot.

Alex28

Coach
FFS...think about it. Why are we going to spend 10% of our salary cap on a player that plays 50-odd minutes max? Does that represent good value to you?

The answer is you wouldn't, and it isn't.

He's not going to be a bench player. Move on champ.

Johns Magic

Referee
I don't necessarily disagree with you, however:

* Mentions of Ennis as well as De Gois indicates that Gidley to Hooker probably won't happen; and

* I can't see too many decent Centres on the market for 2012.

He might end up at Centre through necessity in the end.

He may very well end up at centre.

I think the Ennis rumours are just paper talk at the moment. No direct quotes from Ennis or anyone at the Knights. He has spoken of his commitment to the Dogs and they have spoken of him as their next captain. I'm not sold we are even chasing him, let alone on the verge of signing him. Of course I don't know the full story, but I don't see it happening at this stage.

The only mentions of De Gois lately have been that he may be on the chopping block? That only increases my thoughts of Gidley at 9.

There are a couple of off-contract centres at the moment I would be chasing. Esi Tonga is one of them, Joe Tomane is another. Both looking unlikely to be re-signed by the Titans after signing Idris.

RHCP

Bench
We can't release everybody. The last thing I want is to become South Sydney the second; strong 1-13, extremely weak 14-25. It's great having money, but it's even better knowing how to use it.

Sau, McDonnell, Southern, Mad Dog, Mika and Ciraldo all gone.

Retain Naiqama x 2, Kurt and De Gois (>>>>>>>>>> Ennis).

Sign Greg Bird and Kade Snowden. If Boyd wants to come he can come for peanuts.

Joseph Tomane would also be a great signing. He was playing strongly at the beginning of last season, but hasn't been sighted in first grade in 2011 I believe.

Serc

First Grade
Can Henry play centre at all?

I had a bit of a chuckle when I first read this, but he is certainly tall enough! lol

On Ennis, lets not forget that he played for 3 years under Bennett and didn't turn into a superstar (though he was behind Berrigan for much of it and did his ACL in the middle of the 3 year period). His best year probably was 2009 under Moore at the Dogs.

One other thing to remember is that the media will suggest countless players might come to the club. Especially this week, everyone wants a piece of the Bennett to Newcastle action and dragging up any player who was born in the Hunter might get them a headline! (Kimmorley will be coming out of retirement soon, just you wait :p) I'm not saying that the Bird and Ennis rumours are just made up, but just think of the overall situation currently.

Latest posts