What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
Well it wasn't pretty but given our form, lack of confidence and missing half the team this week we just needed to get a win any way we could. I thought that was a decent performance all things considering especially given keary went off in the first half.

The first half we were clearly the better side and the only points they scored was off that ricochet kick. The 2nd half is a forgive run for me and they hung in there well enough to get the job done. As usual we were our own worst enemy with their last try being literally given to them. That bad luck was returned when they bombed a couple but we scrambled well and got the rewards.

A few other comments. Manu obviously looked a lot better at FB. We might be at the stage where we have to try teddy at 5/8. It is an unknown but worth a shot. I thought young Smith equipped himself well in his first start. Butcher was incredible at prop and I reckon that might be his best position going forward in the rotation with JWH and Collins. A special mention to Turpin for that defensive effort on the inside ball to Ponga, fantastic tackle. Young Whyte I also thought was very good in his first start.

Lastly, was anyone else impressed with JWH in the presser? Spoke very well and showed a lot of passion. He goes over the line at times but he cares and wants to help the younger guys turn this around.

Hearing keary should only be out a month.

As bad as this year has been we have still won half our games and well and truly in finals contention. Big game at SFS against raiders next.

3 N Butcher
2 Manu
1 Whyte

Jesus, of all the players to lose at this point in time it had to be Keary, didn’t it? Luke was slowly starting to regain his confidence, I felt and hope this latest setback doesn’t slow his progress.

Was impressed with Sandon’s debut but tougher game next week and so an old head to partner with is a must, you’d think. I reckon Robbo will accept Joey ain’t a half and slot him back to centre although I’d prefer to keep him at FB where he was brilliant yesterday and give Teddy a go. You know it’ll be Hutch @ 6, though.

Thought both the Butcher brothers were great - especially Nat and a worthy MOM. And yes @Valheru, I noticed Jared’s statesman-like effort at the presser too. Hope they find a role for him in the coaching staff when he retires as I think he’ll be a good influence on the the younger guys coming through. Also happy with Whyte as well.

I think Turpin deserves credit for his defensive effort and it gave me Friend vibes. Or is that just because his name is Jake who plays hooker and just happens to come from QLD?

I know there were circumstances with injury and general bad luck but we didn’t ever look like scoring in the second half. Hutch’s kicking was largely ineffective but tbf was often kicking from well inside our half. Would like to see us or the rugby league gods allow us at least, to put 80mins together in that regard.

Anyway, the boys know they’re not firing properly but at least the desire is there. You saw it on Keary’s face when he dropped the ball from the kick off and the reaction of all the players when the FT siren went shows they give a shit.

Bigger assignment next week but we’re at home and hopefully we get a good turn out. Think Victor is back so expect to be down a man for a spell. I suspect Sitilli might miss the game as his knee looked pretty wrapped up and don’t recall him taking part in the second half. With Teddy and Lindsay back, we’re in with a decent chance.

3. N Butcher
2. Manu
1. Turpin

Valheru

Coach
Jesus, of all the players to lose at this point in time it had to be Keary, didn’t it? Luke was slowly starting to regain his confidence, I felt and hope this latest setback doesn’t slow his progress.

Was impressed with Sandon’s debut but tougher game next week and so an old head to partner with is a must, you’d think. I reckon Robbo will accept Joey ain’t a half and slot him back to centre although I’d prefer to keep him at FB where he was brilliant yesterday and give Teddy a go. You know it’ll be Hutch @ 6, though.

Thought both the Butcher brothers were great - especially Nat and a worthy MOM. And yes @Valheru, I noticed Jared’s statesman-like effort at the presser too. Hope they find a role for him in the coaching staff when he retires as I think he’ll be a good influence on the the younger guys coming through. Also happy with Whyte as well.

I think Turpin deserves credit for his defensive effort and it gave me Friend vibes. Or is that just because his name is Jake who plays hooker and just happens to come from QLD?

I know there were circumstances with injury and general bad luck but we didn’t ever look like scoring in the second half. Hutch’s kicking was largely ineffective but tbf was often kicking from well inside our half. Would like to see us or the rugby league gods allow us at least, to put 80mins together in that regard.

Anyway, the boys know they’re not firing properly but at least the desire is there. You saw it on Keary’s face when he dropped the ball from the kick off and the reaction of all the players when the FT siren went shows they give a shit.

Bigger assignment next week but we’re at home and hopefully we get a good turn out. Think Victor is back so expect to be down a man for a spell. I suspect Sitilli might miss the game as his knee looked pretty wrapped up and don’t recall him taking part in the second half. With Teddy and Lindsay back, we’re in with a decent chance.

3. N Butcher
2. Manu
1. Turpin

Yeah the halves are the biggest concern at the moment and robbo said we only have 3 options left in Smith, Manu and Hutch. Apparently kearys issue is in relation to some existing screw so not particularly serious. Walker is still a couple of weeks away.

We have raiders, manly and then a bye so every chance both are back for the last 8 games.

Even though it's been a failure, I do wonder if we stick Manu at 6 for those 2 games just so hutch can still cover at utility. If we start Hutch we have no real option if he or Smith goes down to cover in the halves and moving manu there mid game will leave the 3/4 line in a precarious position.

Either way, if we can scrape through one of those 2 games and get our full compliment back or close to after the bye we can make some semblance of a run.

I do agree that the commitment and care factor is still there which is the biggest indicator this is a form slump and a roster issue as opposed to something deeper with the coach.

Teddy has played nearly all his career at fullback. He's played 2 games at five eight, 4 on the wing, 3 in the centres and 244 at fullback. He is 30 years old. A move to five eight now is not a wise move in my opinion.

Teddy has played nearly all his career at fullback. He's played 2 games at five eight, 4 on the wing, 3 in the centres and 244 at fullback. He is 30 years old. A move to five eight now is not a wise move in my opinion.
Back when there was speculation that Suallii was gonna leave the club if he wasn’t given the FB role, Teddy did mention he’d be happy to switch to the halves to help keep him in the club. He’s got a decent pass and step and good footy brain. Doesn’t have the speed he once did. You’re right about his age of course but maybe it’s something that’s worth looking into in the off season as I’m worried we might lose Manu to a club that’ll offer him the keys to FB.

Valheru

Coach

Yeah im not convinced either but it's worth a trial IMO especially if it unlocks Manu. I think Teddy will do fine in attack there, my concern is in the line in defence, that will take some getting used to.

Valheru

Coach
@Babyface O'reilly

Great news on keary!

Apparently cleared of broken jaw and it was an issue with screws coming loose. Further scans today to see if anything minor needs to be done.

DT are saying he could play this week but that does seem unlikely to me but should be back next week.
Bones are funny things of course but I didn’t think there wasn’t much in the contact with Don’s foot. Thought he must be softer than Reynolds lol. Had no idea he was playing with screws in his gob ‘til yesterday either. Thanks for the news, bud.

H.H

Juniors
The second half was tough going, but a tremendous effort from the boys to hold out despite being massively outclassed in that last 40. Agree with what's said above, you can't try that hard and have that emotional reaction to winning if there are issues.

I think Ted needs to stay at the back and Manu needs to stay at right centre. For mine, I actually also think Hutch will need to stay in the halves with Keary (if he's right to go). I get his limitations but his natural position is in the halves, he tackles well, left footed kick and is experienced. Asking alot of Smith in pretty tough times...perhaps utility role for him as he covers a number of positions.

3 - N.Butcher
2 - Manu
1 - Toops

Could've given 3 to any of them . Also big performances from Whyte, Turpin and I thought Gus was really strong too.

Really hope they can build on that this week.

Looks like we won't see anymore of Lodge in a Roosters jersey. This article might also explain why he was left out of all grades on the weekend too -

Edit: SMH now reporting it too -

Last edited:
@Babyface O'reilly

Great news on keary!

Apparently cleared of broken jaw and it was an issue with screws coming loose. Further scans today to see if anything minor needs to be done.

DT are saying he could play this week but that does seem unlikely to me but should be back next week.

Luke Keary cleared of a fractured jaw after a CT scan.

Valheru

Coach
The second half was tough going, but a tremendous effort from the boys to hold out despite being massively outclassed in that last 40. Agree with what's said above, you can't try that hard and have that emotional reaction to winning if there are issues.

I think Ted needs to stay at the back and Manu needs to stay at right centre. For mine, I actually also think Hutch will need to stay in the halves with Keary (if he's right to go). I get his limitations but his natural position is in the halves, he tackles well, left footed kick and is experienced. Asking alot of Smith in pretty tough times...perhaps utility role for him as he covers a number of positions.

3 - N.Butcher
2 - Manu
1 - Toops

Could've given 3 to any of them . Also big performances from Whyte, Turpin and I thought Gus was really strong too.

Really hope they can build on that this week.
Yep I forgot to mention Gus, his best game this year. Hopefully he is getting back to his best because he is a top 5 2nd rower.

horrie hastings

First Grade
3- Toops, what a beast bringing the ball back
2- Manu- glad to see him out of 5/8 , great game
3- Sandon Smith - a few mistakes but i liked what i saw overall, great set up for the first try.

Latest posts