What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 pre-season

Valheru

Coach
A thread for us to post/discuss anything really from team predictions to fixture lists and any other notable developments ahead of the 2024 campaign

Squad for the 2024 seaosn thus far (4 still to be added to top 30)

• Angus Crichton
  • Billy Smith
  • Brandon Smith
  • Connor Watson
  • Daniel Tupou
  • Dominic Young
  • Egan Butcher
  • James Tedesco ©
  • Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
  • Joseph Manu
  • Joseph-Aukuso Suaali’i
  • Junior Pauga
  • Lindsay Collins
  • Luke Keary
  • Nat Butcher
  • Naufafu Whyte
  • Robert Toia
  • Sam Walker
  • Sandon Smith
  • Sitili Tupouniua
  • Siua Wong
  • Spencer Leniu
  • Terrell May
  • Tyler Moriarty
  • Victor Radley
  • Zach Dockar-Clay

Damn good squad IMO with my personal best 17 below

1 Teddy
2 Tupou
3 Manu
4 Billy Smith
5 Sualli/Young
6 Keary
7 Walker
8 Collins
9 Brandon Smith
10 Leniu
11 Wong
12 Sitilli
13 Radley

14 Sandon Smith/Watson
15 JWH
16 May
17 N Butcher

That leaves out

Sualli/Young
Sandon Smith/Watson
Crighton
E Butcher
Pauga
Whyte
Toia
Moriarty
Clay

That's a deep squad and no doubt we will need it as usual with our constant injury list but I'm hoping after 4 years we are due a bit of luck there.

Valheru

Coach
From various sources it looks like our first 6 games will be per below

Broncos (H Vegas)
Manly (A)
Souths (H)
Penrith (H)
Dogs (A)
Knights (A)

Other leaks are souths away in round 27 and sharks for magic round which looks like for the first time we will be away team.

Round 8 will be saints for ANZAC day with us the away team.

From various sources it looks like our first 6 games will be per below

Broncos (H Vegas)
Manly (A)
Souths (H)
Penrith (H)
Dogs (A)
Knights (A)

Other leaks are souths away in round 27 and sharks for magic round which looks like for the first time we will be away team.

Round 8 will be saints for ANZAC day with us the away team.
This is good news for us, playing all the other Vegas sides in the first three rounds who are equally jet lagged, so no disadvantage there.

taste2taste

Juniors
A thread for us to post/discuss anything really from team predictions to fixture lists and any other notable developments ahead of the 2024 campaign

Squad for the 2024 seaosn thus far (4 still to be added to top 30)

• Angus Crichton
  • Billy Smith
  • Brandon Smith
  • Connor Watson
  • Daniel Tupou
  • Dominic Young
  • Egan Butcher
  • James Tedesco ©
  • Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
  • Joseph Manu
  • Joseph-Aukuso Suaali’i
  • Junior Pauga
  • Lindsay Collins
  • Luke Keary
  • Nat Butcher
  • Naufafu Whyte
  • Robert Toia
  • Sam Walker
  • Sandon Smith
  • Sitili Tupouniua
  • Siua Wong
  • Spencer Leniu
  • Terrell May
  • Tyler Moriarty
  • Victor Radley
  • Zach Dockar-Clay

Damn good squad IMO with my personal best 17 below

1 Teddy
2 Tupou
3 Manu
4 Billy Smith
5 Sualli/Young
6 Keary
7 Walker
8 Collins
9 Brandon Smith
10 Leniu
11 Wong
12 Sitilli
13 Radley

14 Sandon Smith/Watson
15 JWH
16 May
17 N Butcher

That leaves out

Sualli/Young
Sandon Smith/Watson
Crighton
E Butcher
Pauga
Whyte
Toia
Moriarty
Clay

That's a deep squad and no doubt we will need it as usual with our constant injury list but I'm hoping after 4 years we are due a bit of luck there.
Is English young gun Lewis Murphy not part of the top 30 ? Looking forward to seeing how he goes in Australia, he had a number of NRL clubs chasing him but the Roosters got his signature.

Will be interesting to see who misses out in the backs, Toupu has been so reliable and consistent but he might be the one to miss out ?

RSTA

Juniors
Is English young gun Lewis Murphy not part of the top 30 ? Looking forward to seeing how he goes in Australia, he had a number of NRL clubs chasing him but the Roosters got his signature.

Will be interesting to see who misses out in the backs, Toupu has been so reliable and consistent but he might be the one to miss out ?
Lewis Murphy is definitely coming and he will be on a supplementary list, not the top 30.

Valheru

Coach
Draw has dropped and is per below. Bolded are designated home games

Round 1 – Broncos – Sunday 3:30PM (Vegas)
Round 2 – Manly – Sunday 4PM
Round 3 – Souths – Friday 8PM
Round 4 – Penrith – Thursday 8PM

Round 5 – Dogs – Friday 6PM
Round 6 – Knights – Thursday 7:50PM
Round 7 – Storm – Thursday 7:50PM
Round 8 – Dragons – Thursday 4PM (ANZAC Day)
Round 9 – Broncos – Friday 8PM
Round 10 – Warriors – Sunday 2PM
Round 11 – Sharks – Saturday 5:30PM (Magic Round)
Round 12 – Raiders – Saturday 3PM
Round 13 – Cowboys – Sunday 4PM (pre-origin)
Round 14 – BYE (post-origin)
Round 15 – Parra – Saturday 7:30PM
Round 16 – Dogs – Saturday 5:30PM (Pre-origin) (Gosford)
Round 17 – Tigers – Sunday 6:15PM
Round 18 – Dragons – Sunday 2PM

Round 19 – BYE (Pre-origin)
Round 20 – Storm – Saturday 7:35PM
Round 21 – Manly – Saturday 7:35PM
Round 22 – Dolphins – Friday 8PM (Perth)
Round 23 – BYE
Round 24 – Parra – Friday 8PM
Round 25 – Titans – Sunday 2PM
Round 26 – Raiders – Sunday 4PM
Round 27 – Souths – Friday 8PM

Some thoughts/notes on the actual scheduling

* The souths, penrith and parra home games are really good slots noting the Penrith one is Thursday before good Friday.
* Magic round is away, probably due to vegas which delivers 11 games at SFS including an away ANZAC fixture
* We are the very last team to receive a bye with every other team having at least one prior to round 14
* Sunday heavy SFS schedule with 5 of the 10 home games there being Sunday. Other five are 2 Thursday night, 2 Friday night and 1 Saturday evening
* Dolphins away game in Perth

In regards to opponents - These things are always subject to change until the games are played but on the surface it seems more user friendly than the previous few years.

Teams we play twice:

Broncos
Manly
Souths
Dogs
Storm
Dragons
Raiders
Parra

That is only 3 of the top 8 teams from 2024 we play twice meaning a total of 10 games against top 8 opponents of a maximum 14. Of course, I expect a couple of those teams to go in to the 2024 top 8.

Some good family-friendly times on that list which hopefully translates to decent attendance. Storm on a Thursdee night’s a bit of a bummer as we don’t get decent crowds (usually) when hosting them but happy with the rest of it.

Valheru

Coach
JWH has successfully lobbied to have the 3 NZ games count as part of his suspension

He failed to have the all stars game count which is absolutely perfect IMO as that now means the round 3 game against souths will be his 300th NRL game having already played 298 games.

I'm so pumped for that.

In regards to games for the chooks, he is currently at 292 caps so his 300th game for the club would be round 9 away to Broncos assuming he played all matches. I think it's fair to say that is unlikely so look for it to be round 10 or round 13 at SFS

He would need to play 15 games this season to break Aubo's all time club record of 306 which if he played all games would be round 17 at home against wests. Again that seems unlikely so I would look for it to be at home games in rounds 24 (Parra) or 26 (Raiders)

Valheru

Coach
Can't make a judgement either way out of the Manly game, it was just a run in the legs for the guys ahead of Vegas. Some will say we struggled to put a way a B grade Manly side but quite clearly the care factor was low too. A run in the legs and no major injuries is all I'm really concerned about.

I'm more intrigued by this next trial as it will be full of young fellas given the top team leaves for Vegas on Wednesday. Speedy recovery to Dom as well, it makes Robbo's life a lot easier for round 1 although Manu might not be there either but last report is the club expects him to make it.