What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights Forum Junior Recruitment Challenge

Karmawave

Bench
Cue roopy ranting about Luke Dureau (was that it?) There's another one too.

Actually speaking of Roopy, you would have thought this kinda thread would be right up his alley.

Maybe because I started the thread, he might ignore it though.

roopy

Referee
roopy would pick 5 ex-Knights juniors
I would too.
Jamal Idris - trained with the Knights summer Mathews squad when he was 15
Ben Matulino - was a Knights scholarship player, poached by Warriors
Boyd Cordner - starred in scoolboys comp against 18 and 19 year olds when 16 - poached by Roosters
Lucas Miller - best Knights junior for a few years - poached by Melbourne - currently in the Melbourne open age squad recovering from a knee injury
Peter Mata'utia - currently can't walk out his front door without tripping over scouts i'm sure.

aqua_duck

Coach
I considered the strengths and weaknesses in our team and went with:
*Russell Packer
*Jordan Rankin
*Kevin Proctor
*Jamal Idris
*Eddy Pettyborne

I went for
1 prop
1 half
1 backrower
1 back
1 backrow/prop

4 aust schoolboys and a junior kiwi

BTW Dave Taylor had already played 28 games prior to this season

Karmawave

Bench
I would too.
Jamal Idris - trained with the Knights summer Mathews squad when he was 15
Ben Matulino - was a Knights scholarship player, poached by Warriors
Boyd Cordner - starred in scoolboys comp against 18 and 19 year olds when 16 - poached by Roosters
Lucas Miller - best Knights junior for a few years - poached by Melbourne - currently in the Melbourne open age squad recovering from a knee injury
Peter Mata'utia - currently can't walk out his front door without tripping over scouts i'm sure.

Had to play at least 1 first grade game Roops.

aqua_duck

Coach
just realised something, out of the 5 youngsters i named 4 are of polynesian or aboriginal descent, seems like the trend these days

Spike

First Grade
Most of the players I would pick have already been named or haven't played first grade yet;

Shaun Fensom
Matt Prior
Aiden Tolman
Eddy Pettybourne
Steve Rapira

I've got a soft-spot for the workaholic backrower type player

The Seedman

Juniors
Karma,Its right what u wrote about Jamal Idris was in the knights summer camp squad a long time ago.But Jamal's family moved to sydney and the Knights never told him he wasn't good enough!!
I think u made that line up for effect!

Karmawave

Bench
Mate he never made the team.

He wasn't selected. Not chosen in the final squad.

Does that mean they thought he was good enough?

Adsy

Juniors
I made a whole 17 man team that fit into the criteria and it actually looked half decent.

Left the piece of paper at work though. haha

Karmawave

Bench
Karma i don't think that was what was said in the paper so how do u know that he wasn't put in the squad?

Because he never played one game of Harold Matts for the Knights. He was never selected after being in the train on squad, and the moving to Sydney had nothing to do with that from the way I understand it.

Either way, its disappointing isn't it, that so many people here are selecting Ben Matulino and Jamal Idris etc, when the reality is, both could have been playing for our club already.

I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.

roopy

Referee
The guys i've seen at other clubs that i'd love to see for us are;

Locke - fullback from Warriors
Merrin - prop from saints
Likiliki - centre from Warriors
Rankin - back or half from titans