What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights keen to sign Horo.

TeHEel

Juniors
Yeah the thing that gets me is if the ARU bumped up his base to $400k taking him to $650k with match payments and also offered him the 12month,24month and 3+ year option what could be holding him back from signing. Unless he thinks that again $400k base is not enough and he is after something closer to $600k-$800k. I don't see the ARU moving that far...otherwise they will have been done the very thing they said they would not (ie get caught in a bidding war). They also know that they could then expect this again the next time a "star" is up for a new contract.
My gut + wishful thinking is that he might be over the ARU administration, but enough to walk away from a World Cup is the question.

Best case scenario is that he has agreed to terms but wanted to hold off an announcement so he would not force the ARU's hand in dropping him and wrecking their chances in the TN's (plus the $$ loss for him to boot)

Glenn

First Grade
Seems like the SMH are behind the times with this story, would be extremly suprised if Horo ends up at Newcastle or any other club other than Parramatta.

mrpwnd

Bench
Yeah the thing that gets me is if the ARU bumped up his base to $400k taking him to $650k with match payments and also offered him the 12month,24month and 3+ year option what could be holding him back from signing. Unless he thinks that again $400k base is not enough and he is after something closer to $600k-$800k. I don't see the ARU moving that far...otherwise they will have been done the very thing they said they would not (ie get caught in a bidding war). They also know that they could then expect this again the next time a "star" is up for a new contract.
My gut + wishful thinking is that he might be over the ARU administration, but enough to walk away from a World Cup is the question.

Best case scenario is that he has agreed to terms but wanted to hold off an announcement so he would not force the ARU's hand in dropping him and wrecking their chances in the TN's (plus the $$ loss for him to boot)
If we get him, it'll either be the most brilliant move in Parra's history, or the worst one since we signed Tahu and Morts for big money and made Mateo the walking ad of KFC.

parra pete

Referee
Re Quade Cooper...I am more confident of him being an Eel than I was two weeks ago..
Especially as Robbie Deans has now 'warned him' to forget about the negotiations....

mrpwnd

Bench
Re Quade Cooper...I am more confident of him being an Eel than I was two weeks ago..
Especially as Robbie Deans has now 'warned him' to forget about the negotiations....
If I recall, we were sure to get Cronk and Barrett I think everyone knew how that went.
I'd be happy to have Cooper here, but geez, after the Cronk and Barrett(Kimmorley to an extent as well), it's hard to get my hopes up.

parra pete

Referee
I always assumed Barrett would be returning to Temora...The dogs were barking it down this way..he was ALWAYS, apparently coming back to his home town.
HOWEVER, if (and that was a very very very BIG IF) he was going to another NRL Club it would have been to the Raiders.

Last edited:

parra pete

Referee
If I recall, we were sure to get Cronk and Barrett I think everyone knew how that went.
I'd be happy to have Cooper here, but geez, after the Cronk and Barrett(Kimmorley to an extent as well), it's hard to get my hopes up.

As a matter of fact, I reckon the Eels are SPECIALS to sign Quade Cooper...Just a gut feeling....(and, believe me... that's a big feeling)

Gronk

Staff member
THE Newcastle Knights appear set for more disappointment on the recruitment front after Parramatta sources predicted last night that promising forward Justin Horo would stay with the Eels.The Knights have tabled a three-year deal to Horo reported to be worth $150,000 a season and gave him a tour of their Mayfield training base on Tuesday.
But Eels officials responded with a counter offer yesterday, and the Newcastle Herald was told last night that a two-year deal was "as good as done" and would be confirmed this week.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/curtains-on-rocky-horo-show/1923833.aspx

Gronk

Staff member
A counter offer only yesterday... so Horo wasn't in the bag prior to that? :crazy:

You play a dangerous game when you suggest that the player tests the market. Whilst you might be given an opportunity to match or better the offer, you might miss out on a gun at a reasonable price.

fish eel

Immortal
A counter offer only yesterday... so Horo wasn't in the bag prior to that? :crazy:

I've got no dramas

You offer what you think someone is worth and then negotiate upwards if necessary without going to high.

I thought you were all for not being held to ransom?

SDM

First Grade
What sort of dunce would lay all their cards on their table straight up?
We (look to have) get him, and we get him at a good rate, and people still cry.

andrew057

First Grade
I've got no dramas

You offer what you think someone is worth and then negotiate upwards if necessary without going to high.

I thought you were all for not being held to ransom?

Youre missing the point.

The reason everyone is pissed off is because he wasnt re-signed much much earlier in the season.

Latest posts