What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights: Stars could follow Bennett

TruSaint

Referee
Newcastle chief executive Matt Gidley admits there's a risk star players could follow departing coach Wayne Bennett out of the NRL club, but he has faith a promising band of local juniors will form the Knights' future.

Fullback Darius Boyd has a clause in his contract that says he can leave the Knights should Bennett no longer be in charge, with reports suggesting the Queensland and Test representative is next to no CHANCE of remaining in Newcastle next season.

Alongside Boyd, representative forwards Jeremy Smith and Beau Scott also won a premiership under Bennett at St George Illawarra in 2010, and all share a close bond with the super coach.

Aside from losing the best coach in the business, Bennett's exit means the Knights have also lost their No.1 recruiting tool, which doesn't bode well for a club already on its knees following the collapse of Nathan Tinkler's ownership.

Embattled boss Gidley says he isn't immediately concerned about the prospect of players following Bennett, but concedes it's an issue he must address in coming weeks.

"I'm not concerned at this stage but I guess it's a risk," Gidley said on Sky Sports Radio.

"Wayne's got a great RELATIONSHIP with a lot of those players (Boyd, Smith, Scott).

"I think we'll certainly establish that over the coming weeks.

"We've still got a little bit of work to do (on roster).

"The vast majority of our squad's settled for 2015 but we still have a little bit of work to do.

"That'll take shape over the next month or two."

Newcastle are coming first in the National Youth Competition and Gidley says the young players coming through are the priority - even if that means some short-term pain.

"Our greatest competitive advantage has always been our local juniors," he said.

"Our most successful years on the field have seen the team predominantly made up of locally developed boys and we will always have a bias towards our local kids.

"Moving them up to NRL level will take some time but we're comfortable with that position."

More

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8873397

TruSaint

Referee
I can honestly say in 40 plus years of following footy, i have never seen such a bond between players and coach. Not saying its all good either, I think such dependency could be detrimental.

PS I think the Knights are in deep sh..
Sponsors, recruitment, ownership etc.
Hard times ahead me thinks.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I can honestly say in 40 plus years of following footy, i have never seen such a bond between players and coach. Not saying its all good either, I think such dependency could be detrimental.

PS I think the Knights are in deep sh..
Sponsors, recruitment, ownership etc.
Hard times ahead me thinks.

Welcome back to the Dragons, Bennett, Boyd, Scott and Smith!

hazzbeen

Bench
Wayne's got a great RELATIONSHIP with a lot of those players (Boyd, Smith, Scott) These players are 4 years older now than when we won the title.Boyd has a few more years left but if they do come over with Bennett do they sign Smith and Scott on 2 to 3 year contracts ?

bottle

Coach
Only a fool tries to predict a year ahead in Rugby League.

So, here is my prediction - Knights for the spoon in 2015.

- The loss of Bennett and potentially some players (drums are sounding about Boyd to the Dogs, and I won't be surprised if Scott comes to us with Bennett :D)
- The hangover from Tinkler, Alex, Packer, Tetevano, in fact 2014 in toto.
- No great recruitment to speak of. I was lukewarm on Tariq to begin with. I don't see him regaining the form and promise he had prior to the breaks (early crow, I know).
- Some aging playing staff in critical positions.
- General loss of 'vibe'.
- In a financial hole.
- Morale must be in the toilet.

Tough few years ahead methinks.

gregstar

Referee
i remember thinking the same thing about the magpies at the end of '77.

they lost their coach, lost players & had no money.

they couldn't recruit a decent replacement coach & were basically no-names & heading towards f*cked.

in '78 they promoted the third grade coach - he promoted some youngsters & brought back some old hands. they won the minor premiership & pretty much blitzed the comp, but were shafted in the major semi by greg fartly.

they were a powerhouse onfield for a couple of years before manly bought most of them & we bought the coach.

bottle

Coach
Yes predicting future outcomes in our game is hardly a science. It's not even an art.
More arse than art in fact.

TruSaint

Referee

- The loss of Bennett and potentially some players (drums are sounding about Boyd to the Dogs, and I won't be surprised if Scott comes to us with Bennett :D)
- No great recruitment to speak of. I was lukewarm on Tariq to begin with. I don't see him regaining the form and promise he had prior to the breaks (early crow, I know).
- In a financial hole.

No much above can be disputed mate.
I agree predictions are " educated guesses" in some cases. But they are in deep strife.
How long can the NRL / members keep them afloat?
On the back of the disastrous 2015 incidents, which sponsor will stay solid ?
With no recognized coach atm, where is player recruitment at ?

And to your last point... morale .
If it was in the toilet, they could salvage something. Its Botany bay bound.

Elias1983

Coach

- In a financial hole.

Depends who takes over bottle IMO

Henry or sheens mighy be in the mix me finks...

bottle

Coach
You may be right Elias. I was thinking myself a possible gig for Sheens is opening up there.
Might make the spoon a sure thing.:sarcasm:

Elias1983

Coach
You may be right Elias. I was thinking myself a possible gig for Sheens is opening up there.
Might make the spoon a sure thing.:sarcasm:

Actually completely forgot about Rick stone who would have the players respect and all...

Jubileeboy

First Grade
We really are speculating on most items at the moment.
I know Mamo's contract expires at end of 2014 but does anyone know Beau Scott's contract status?

Latest posts