What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights target Ennis and Finch for product recall

Frederick

Staff member
Knights target Ennis and Finch for product recall
By ROBERT DILLON

BRISBANE hooker Michael Ennis has emerged as a likely target for his original club, the Newcastle Knights, after his dazzling man-of-the-match performance at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Sunday.

And Knights coach Brian Smith revealed last night that another Novocastrian product, Parramatta halfback Brett Finch, also featured on Newcastle's preliminary hit list of potential targets.

Ennis left the Knights at the end of the 2004 season and joined St George Illawarra to escape the formidable shadow of Danny Buderus and establish himself as a starting dummy-half in the NRL.

But Buderus is in his final season with Newcastle, having signed to join Leeds Rhinos in 2009, and Ennis is a free agent at season's end.

Finding a quality replacement for Buderus is a high priority for Newcastle, especially after the club sacked his understudy, Terence Seu Seu, in the pre-season for repeated alcohol-related incidents.

Smith said last night he had only recently become aware that Ennis was off contract but indicated his display on Sunday, when he scored two tries and kicked seven goals from as many attempts against the Knights, had underlined his credentials.

"To be honest, I didn't even know he was off contract until eight or 10 days ago, but his performance the other day was absolutely outstanding and deserves consideration," Smith said.

"It was a brilliant performance.

"At this stage we're compiling a list of players who are available, and his name wasn't on our early list.

"But we found out recently that he was off contract, and his performance on the weekend just demanded that we give him some consideration.

"In the last two days I haven't met with [recruitment manager] Keith Onslow or [operations manager] Warren Smiles at this point about it, but there will certainly be some interest there from my point of view."

Ennis, who is in his third season with Brisbane, said last night that he had not yet started any contract talks with the Broncos or heard from any other clubs.

"My mindset is I just want to play six or seven games and play good, consistent footy," Ennis said.

"I let that sort of stuff [contract talks] take care of itself.

"I haven't heard anything, so it's all news to me."

Asked whether he would consider a return to his home town, the 24-year-old replied: "I suppose you've got to look at everything . . . it [Newcastle] is where I'm from, so I'd definitely have to look at it."

Finch, a Valentine-Eleebana junior like Ennis, was born in Maitland and lived in Newcastle until he was 16 when his father, former Knights and Hunter Mariners football manager Robert Finch, joined the Canberra Raiders.

A former Knights ball boy, Finch is a free agent at season's end, and there is speculation that Parramatta are struggling to fit him into their salary cap for 2009.

"His name's been discussed," Smith said. "We're aware that he's off contract, but at this point we're not rushing into anything.

"We're giving everybody at our place first pop at it, to show us what they've got before we jump in.

"Both those players [Ennis and Finch] are on our list of players we're interested in, but there are plenty of them."

Finch's manager, Steve Gillis, said last night his phone had been "running hot" but there had been no contact from the Knights.

"I'm not surprised they're interested, but I'm also not surprised I haven't heard from them," he said.

"It's only round five. Give me a couple of weeks and we should know a bit more."
LINK

Johns Magic

Referee
I reckon Finch would make a reasonable hooker. I wouldn't want to sign him as a half though when Dureau is looking so promising.

Ennis would be a better signing at hooker, It's just a pity he's such a prick of a person.

Good to see that we're going to be active in the player market though.

Ranger Jace

Juniors
I wouldn't mind Ennis however I'd still like to see him play consistent footy before offering him anything or even string some game together. Doesn't he have his fair share of knee problems?

shane1970

Juniors
Both of them would be good, not great, acquisitions for the club in my opinion. They COULD turn into great buys if they both continue there form and we were able to snavel them for next year. Go for it. Doesn't sound as though Tupou will be coming so Bedsy's money could buy both of them and then we could possibly still have some money left over for a class centre.

Serc

First Grade
I did mention Ennis a few weeks back as a possibility, however I still don't think he's as good as that game last week showed. For Brisbane he hasn't exactly been great value for them given the time off spent with knee injuries, but from what I have seen in some of the Broncos matches in recent years we could do worse! Worth looking at I think anyway...

CJG 182

Juniors
If Ennis keeps up his good form and shows consistency, then yes please. But there's no need for Finch.

macavity

Referee
probably conjecture in here rusty

big yes on ennis

notwithstanding by all reports he is a giant douche

will take scotty over finch, thanks - finch might be better at this point in time

but ya know, he is finch....

Ennis would be tops but i have a feeling he will follow Bennett back to the dragons. I think we need to continue the quality players for depth recruitment agenda rather than buy out and out superstars. We have plenty of those in the making right now. It makes you look formidable week in week out. And yes Ennis hasn't been the world's nicest person. He has tried to change his ways though I have heard. Good on him. Finchy would not be cheap either. His resume is pretty strong.

keeney

First Grade
probably conjecture in here rusty

big yes on ennis

notwithstanding by all reports he is a giant douche

will take scotty over finch, thanks - finch might be better at this point in time

but ya know, he is finch....

Isaac De Gois was linked to us in a similar article to this oen linking us with Ennis. Said we were looking at both, but Ennis is now our priority. Its on foxsports.com I believe.

MC DUI

Juniors
What, Ennis has a couple of good games and all of a sudden we want him, and I assume we would pay well for him, not interested.

And I don't know why we would be looking at Finch when IMO the younger players we have now have more skill and potential than him.

Please just get us some quality outside backs with any spare cash, after a we sign a hooker obviously.

keeney

First Grade
I'm with MC DUI here. Sure he always had promise, but this is the first excellent game he's had, not only since leaving us, but ever. I think there is a little bit of prematurity in this massive Ennis circle jerk.

bluesbreaker

Bench
If we get f**king finch i'd seriously consider 'doing a Razor' (not turn into a knob head, change favourite teams).

Traitorious I know.

Jono078

Referee
I'm with MC DUI here. Sure he always had promise, but this is the first excellent game he's had, not only since leaving us, but ever. I think there is a little bit of prematurity in this massive Ennis circle jerk.

No... This was pretty much his first full game since he got injured in 06, in 06 he was almost leading in Dally M's and being talked as buy of the season but then suffered an injury after 6 rounds.

I been saying it all along, bring Ennis back!

Then there is Finch, id be fine with buying him ASLONG as he will be used as a hooker, then as a half if we happen to get injuries there.

I like the idea of Finch to hooker, so does Ricky Stuart and Gus Gould.

otori

Juniors
I'm not sold on Ennis really. Seems a bit too injury prone realistically. The Courier Mail constantly reported what he was doing last year when he was injured. We could get De Gois for a lot cheaper frankly and there's not a great deal of star hookers out there. Take out Farah and Smith and most of them are just solid clubmen like Fien, Friend, Payne and Hughes

Jono078

Referee
Just to make it clear, id also be happy with De Gois, he's been great ever since moving to the Sharks.

Latest posts